Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ninja 300 2014 non abs.

I have stupidly thrown money at the problem and ended up with another problem.
I originally had no charge, changed the battery (needed to keep using the bike for work and charging nightly was my only option.)
I tested the diode resistance as per Kawasaki manual and had readings outside of specified ranges. Changed the rectifier (for a used one from ebay) which made no difference.
I replaced the stator (new pattern part). Which resulted in overcharging (18v @ 4000rpm).
Changed rectifier again for another used part and it's now charging at 16v. Battery drops to 12.3v overnight.
Battery dash light stays on as it's over range allowed. (starting to get used that light staying on now).

Have I been unlucky to get two faulty rectifiers or am I missing something?
I'm about to diode test the three rectifiers I now have to rule out triple bad luck, hoping for a magic suggestion from this experienced community.

·
Registered
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250 w/ 17' 300 engine, 07 EX500
73 Posts
Question, what kind and/or brand rectifiers are you getting? Are you getting those cheap Chinese ones off eBay for 20 bucks, or are you buying used OEM rectifiers?

If you answered yes to either one of those questions and still having issues with overcharging I would recommend getting in touch with Rick's electrics up in New Hampshire they have all your charging needs under one roof.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are both used OEM.

New Hampshire is a little way off for me, being in Scotland.

I've had a mini brainwave, I haven't tried the original rectifier again after the stator change, could be fine. Not sure why I didn't think of it earlier.

·
Registered
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250 w/ 17' 300 engine, 07 EX500
73 Posts
They are both used OEM.

New Hampshire is a little way off for me, being in Scotland.

I've had a mini brainwave, I haven't tried the original rectifier again after the stator change, could be fine. Not sure why I didn't think of it earlier.

They do ship internationally, but I have no idea on the cost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cost was about 150% of the item. Listing England rather than United Kingdom. (poor Scots will get upset with that).

However, I reverted back to the rectifier that I originally considered the problem (before I realised it was the stator) and everything is cured. I've had returns on the other two rectifiers approved so no financial lose incurred.

I think I'll be avoiding second hand parts in future.

Thanks for your replies

1 - 6 of 6 Posts