Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my first experience with a driver who really did not grasp the whole "splitting lanes" concept lol. Pretty basic scenario I am sure we all encounter- starts with myself filtering to the front of the front. I was going like 20 as traffic was stopped waiting for the light. I passed several cars per usual with no problems.

Until the second to last car from the front cuts into the lane actually trying to prevent me from getting the front. So I slowed to about 10mph and moved around the front of her vehicle to my rightful place in the front of the line:rolleyes:.

I threw it in neutral and turned around to look at the SUV with 3 passengers. The driver was 40 something woman screaming and banging her steering wheel while her husband face-palmed and the boy in back watched.

I pulled my headphone cord out and heard what she was screaming lol "why would you do that!?" she yelled like 3 times. After the third time I could pretty much read her lips too. Her face was bright red, she was really upset. If I had not been 25-30 feet away from her with a helmet on I would have told her that it is not illegal to lane split. But maybe she is from another state or something.

What I did do though was give her the finger, until the light changed, while watching her yell. And yes I did get an immature satisfaction out of it:D.

There is no lessons to be learned here, no educational value in this post/thread.

But if you have had a similar experience, maybe one that ends in you being a productive a member of society where to teach a driver in your area that yes, lane splitting is legal in this state (CA.) Or you encounter a driver who pulls up next to you and says "woah, you go faster than me, and that is a really nice bike you have! I am going to pay more attention for riders like you! So I can make sure we are all safe on the roads!" Etc.

Please share! I know I can not be the only one interacting with cagers on the road:D.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yesterday, I was riding my bike to work, pulled up to a red light and stopped. I was in the far left side of the lane. A dumb blonde lady in a toyota mini van pulled up to the red light right next to me. The lady was about an inch away from my right handlebar, she was talking on her phone and had no idea I was there. I knocked on her window and asked what she was doing. She gave me an angry look and told me to leave her alone because she is on the phone......there wasn't even a point to do anything. If it was a dude I probably would of punched the window out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yesterday, I was riding my bike to work, pulled up to a red light and stopped. I was in the far left side of the lane. A dumb blonde lady in a toyota mini van pulled up to the red light right next to me. The lady was about an inch away from my right handlebar, she was talking on her phone and had no idea I was there. I knocked on her window and asked what she was doing. She gave me an angry look and told me to leave her alone because she is on the phone......there wasn't even a point to do anything. If it was a dude I probably would of punched the window out.
Some people should never be on the road :eek:

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Some people should never be on the road :eek:
Isnt it illegal in the States to drive whilst using a phone?

In Oz we are not even allowed to have it in arms reach and if it is it must be in one of those hands free thingies. And even then they are trying to make that illegal.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts

In Oz we are not even allowed to have it in arms reach and if it is it must be in one of those hands free thingies. And even then they are trying to make that illegal.
Most but not all. Heck even the states it illegal in you see cops on the dam phone all the time.

·
Registered
215 Posts

Yup, it is illegal to talk on the phone and drive. Texting and driving is a huge problem here, it is killing just as many people as drunk driving. They are trying to make bluetooth stuff illegal here too. Parents now have apps they can put on their teenagers phone that lock the phone if it is going over 10 MPH, I like that app.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Yup, it is illegal to talk on the phone and drive. Texting and driving is a huge problem here, it is killing just as many people as drunk driving. They are trying to make bluetooth stuff illegal here too. Parents now have apps they can put on their teenagers phone that lock the phone if it is going over 10 MPH, I like that app.
Now that has to be the best thing I have ever heard off. That and the one for repeat drunk drivers to blow into a device before the car will even start.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The more i ride, the more I'm annoyed by cagers. I get yelled at every once in awhile when filtering. I've decided that 98% of drivers are either assholes or oblivious. I leave them safely behind me! On the flip side though, i have gotten some high fives. :cool:

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
257 Posts
Why would you risk hurting your hand by punching the window? There are key chain rescue tools for doing that assuming you're trying to save the person in their car. :cool:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think having good gloves with knuckle protection would keep from hurting your hand if you punch a window or mirror. But then again if your that close to the car they may go into a road rage and turn and run you over.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My wife and I had an oh shit moment last weekend. We were riding home from a friends house down this curvy (not super twisty) back road. We came up on this set train tracks and a fork in the road on the other side. I was leading and went left, and as I checked my mirror to make sure she was behind me I see her riding up the hill on the road to the right. I thought, what's weird, why would she be going up there? So I pull over and she finally comes down the road to meet me. Apparently, just after I went through the intersection a guy in a truck blew the stop sign on the road coming down from the right and nearly hit her. She made a split second decision to divert to the right, and was able to make it safely away. The guy must have been going pretty fast because she was only a few seconds behind me, and when I went through, he wasnt there. Its a fun road, but that intersection is pretty gnarly. I was really glad she was able to quickly asses the situation and make the right decision. It could have ended up a lot worse. Be careful out there people.

·
Registered
839 Posts
So I had my first experience with a driver who really did not grasp the whole "splitting lanes" concept lol. Pretty basic scenario I am sure we all encounter- starts with myself filtering to the front of the front. I was going like 20 as traffic was stopped waiting for the light. I passed several cars per usual with no problems.

Until the second to last car from the front cuts into the lane actually trying to prevent me from getting the front. So I slowed to about 10mph and moved around the front of her vehicle to my rightful place in the front of the line:rolleyes:.

I threw it in neutral and turned around to look at the SUV with 3 passengers. The driver was 40 something woman screaming and banging her steering wheel while her husband face-palmed and the boy in back watched.

I pulled my headphone cord out and heard what she was screaming lol "why would you do that!?" she yelled like 3 times. After the third time I could pretty much read her lips too. Her face was bright red, she was really upset. If I had not been 25-30 feet away from her with a helmet on I would have told her that it is not illegal to lane split. But maybe she is from another state or something.

What I did do though was give her the finger, until the light changed, while watching her yell. And yes I did get an immature satisfaction out of it:D.

There is no lessons to be learned here, no educational value in this post/thread.

But if you have had a similar experience, maybe one that ends in you being a productive a member of society where to teach a driver in your area that yes, lane splitting is legal in this state (CA.) Or you encounter a driver who pulls up next to you and says "woah, you go faster than me, and that is a really nice bike you have! I am going to pay more attention for riders like you! So I can make sure we are all safe on the roads!" Etc.

Please share! I know I can not be the only one interacting with cagers on the road:D.
Okay...well here is my 2 cents. I know many bikers lane split. Personally, even as a biker I do think it makes us look like complete douchebags who think we can do whatever the hell we want.

Aside of that you ADMITTED There was a BOY (kid) in the back and you found in necessary to flick the lady off the entire light. Grow up, seriously.

Lol it be hard if I had a cam on not to hit the suv and sue the shit out of them
Ya, because someone yelling at you totally means you should fake an accident and sue *eye roll*

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have been merged on more times than I wish to count,
main problem I seem to have here in FL with all the merge lanes we have.

Other than that just people not paying enough attention...

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
wow guys, after reading your replies, just about all of you need to invest in a compact air horn for your rides, honestly they can be bought for under $80 with a wiring harness from ebay and will save your life. i have lost count the amount of times it has saved mine cos some moron in his cage decided to change lanes with out using indicators or check the mirrors and try and come thru my fairings

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Parents now have apps they can put on their teenagers phone that lock the phone if it is going over 10 MPH, I like that app.
Nice! What a useful app! I do not have children, but I do have a younger sister who will be driving soon. I am going to make sure my parents get this app on her phone now. I know it might not be the cool thing to do as her older brother, but I want her to be safe.

And here I was thinking this thread was not going to be educational/informational. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you will, please allow me to retort. :rolleyes:

Okay...well here is my 2 cents. I know many bikers lane split. Personally, even as a biker I do think it makes us look like complete douchebags who think we can do whatever the hell we want.
Crown me, king of the douchebags. I can not say I am not one (by popular definition.) So I shall embrace my title, and proudly continue to receive hate for my douchebaggery, and read about how I am going to get hurt or killed etc. for all the immature and stupid etc. things I do. Seriously, I see no sense not doing so- they way i see things, be who you are, even it who I am, is a douchebag.

Aside of that you ADMITTED There was a BOY (kid) in the back and you found in necessary to flick the lady off the entire light. Grow up, seriously.
And really the kid was like 16 or 17 wearing an SRH (stoners reeking havoc) t-shirt (I know the logo, I used to think that was cool.) I guess i could see how you would want to defend an 8 year old or something from the sight of a middle finger. But this kid probably smokes weed as his t-shirt advertises, and says and does worse things than giving people the finger lol. Besides, we can also conclude from the situation described that he was raised by a idiot of a mother (based on her displayed behavior.) And a father who is so obviously disappointed in his wife's behavior.

16/17 Years old to me is still a kid. Hell, based on my behavior I am still a kid lol. And I don't want to grow up- I want to pay my bills, further my education and professional career, invest in property, and do all the things adults do. But in situations like this- yeah, I am going to regress to a more immature version of myself.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts