Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been driving (a car) in South Africa several times in the last few months, and noticed quite a few motorcycles riding with ORANGE headlights during daytime.
They were VERY visible, and thought I might try this in Pennsylvania.

I found some adhesive orange film on amazon I could put over the high beam lens.

The idea would be to ride with both white low beam, and orange high beam light on all the time. (I don't really ride at night).

Not sure of its legality (PA DMV has a no-color-lens stipulation for cars, but I couldn't find a mention of this for motorcycles).

Any thoughts??

Stupid idea??

·
Registered
280 Posts
Not sure if it’s legal or not but I’d sure like to see a picture of your bike with the orange hi beam! I’m a fan of ANYTHING that helps us avoid death on the road. Police here don’t seem to care what bikes look or sound like (never have seen a straight pipe Harley rider pulled over for excess noise).

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did this today using following orange self-adhesive film:

Not sure I am completely happy with the results. I am now concerned the orange high-beam might look like a turn signal?

Maybe the color isn't dark/rich enough? Don't completely want to give up on the idea, so ordered a second orange film to put over the top.
Either I am wasting another $10 or it will work... ?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hmmmm, you’re right..kind of hard to tell but does look like a turn signal in pictures. Is it any brighter in person? I wonder how it looks when you're riding to other vehicles?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's bright!
But in my opinion not "orange" enough. I'll see what it looks like with a second layer of this orange film...

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put the second layer of orange film over the high beam and I LIKE IT!!

I took a second picture, but although it looks better "in-person", the picture looks exactly the same as the first, already posted, pic.

Rode around with this set-up, and I like it, and will keep it like this for the time being.

I should take a pcture when it's not sunny outside, or at dusk, to give a better representation of what it looks like...

·
Registered
280 Posts
MAL, thanks for following up. Love to see a representative pic and to hear your thoughts about riding around with it for a while.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MAL, thanks for following up. Love to see a representative pic and to hear your thoughts about riding around with it for a while.

Cheers. It's not easy to take a photo of it that represents it well.

I might try a video using a stationary camera on the side of the road and driving past at dusk...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not sure if it’s legal or not but I’d sure like to see a picture of your bike with the orange hi beam! I’m a fan of ANYTHING that helps us avoid death on the road. Police here don’t seem to care what bikes look or sound like (never have seen a straight pipe Harley rider pulled over for excess noise).

·
Registered
121 Posts
This bulb refracts an Orange tint/glow off the back of the head lights reflective lens (giving it an Orange glow). The beam on the road ahead of you remains bright white It is definitely noticeable from a distance but very hard to get a good picture of up close. Just a side note most of the 300 use the same bulb number for both high and low beam, I these bulbs in both lights

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I Also am interested. Cops haven’t pulled you over?

Not yet. But I've only past ONE so far (that I know of).
I am liking it so far.
Hard to say if I am more noticed - I am thinking yes.

I still would like to take a video to show you guys/gals (sorry, haven't done that yet....).

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am still exclusively running this set up 100% of the time (high beam always ON).

Need a Pennsylvania state inspection this week, and will see if they make me take the orange film off for that....sure hope not!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why did you get an inspection for aftermarket exhaust or something?

Not sure I understand your question.
The MC is due for the annual state inspection.
I installed what amounts to a colored lens on the high beam. This is not allowed on cars according to the Pennsylvania motor vehicle code. It's not quite as clear for motorcycles however.
I'll find out on Wednesday! :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wednesday came and went....
MC dealership couldn't perform the state inspection: they don't have any Pennsylvania inspection stickers! 😤.....no one has around here.....more waiting...

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, I FINALLY got my bike's Pennsylvania State inspection!

Drove it there with the high-beam on, and the orange 'modification' intact.
Waited for the inspection to conclude and it passed. When I asked the person who performed the inspection about the orange 'tint' on the high beam, he said he believed that shouldn't be a problem, but he checked the PA DMV manual again, and couldn't find specific wording that would disallow it.
When I drove away, I noticed that the high beam switch was turned off though. 😜

In summary:
I ride this bike now 100% of the time with the orange-modified high beam ON.
I have passed quite a few cops and no one bothered to pull me over for it.
It has passed PA State Inspection with this modification.

---

I'd still like to show EXACTLY what the difference is from the view of the other drivers, but like I mentioned up-thread, the photos don't really show it well.
What I have noticed, is that the reflection of the two lights (white low beam & orange high beam) in the cars that I am following is quite remarkable: the orange light is VERY visible, the white light barely.
This also has to do with the fact that the high beam light throws at a greater distance (i.e. higher).

I am liking this mod and believe that I am MUCH more visible to others on the road!

·
Registered
280 Posts
still intrigued by this...and I kinda like the look of the orange hi beam

1 - 20 of 20 Posts