Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -

I recently did a post about the Battery Tender Brand USB port. Turns out, it doesn't supply enough power to charge an iPhone 6 while using GPS (with the screen on with full brightness) and streaming music (Pandora) and sending the audio via bluetooth to my wireless headset. This may sound like I expected too much, but I'm a music/gps junky who needed my fix.

After being disappointed by the Battery Tender Brand USB Port (http://www.batterytender.com/Accessories/USB-Charger-QDC.html) I purchased the OptiMate USB O-102 - 1000mA USB Cable/Port (
) and IT CHARGES MY PHONE while using GPS, Pandora, and pumping out tunes to my bluetooth headset.

WIRE ROUTING:

1. Hooked the Batter Tender Hook Terminal Cable (http://www.batterytender.com/Accessories/Ring-Terminal-Harness.html) to the battery.
2. Ran the quick-connect port into the passenger seat compartment.
3. Took the quick-connect side of the OptiMate cable and ran it from the passenger seat compartment, the the battery compartment, up the left side of the chassis and up to the handlebars.

With this setup, if the bike isn't going to be running for a while, I can pop off the rear seat and plug the Battery Tender in.

NOTE: The OptiMate will draw power even without a device plugged in. There is an LED light on the transformer. There is a built in auto-off that kicks in when the battery drains to 50%. But - IMO - you shouldn't let your battery drain that low.

(SEE BELOW PICTURES)

I tested it today. When I plugged the phone in it was at 72%. I used the Co-Pilot GPS app (amazing product and its free) and had it only use GPS signal instead of cell tower signal, had Pandora running, and both apps were sending audio to my bluetooth headset (U-Clear 200 - another amazing product). When I got off the bike 40 minutes later, my phone was at 91%. Don't waste money on the Battery Tender USB port. Crappy product.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Well that is a bit much to expect. The Battery Tender unit works fine for me with just a Samsung Galaxy S3 (full size, not a mini S3) and occasional GPS. I also use a non data USB cable which does seem to help a bit ( http://www.amazon.com/EasyAcc®-Micr...1438995402&sr=8-8&keywords=usb+charging+cable ). I wouldn't call the Battery Tender a "crappy product", it just doesn't suit your personal needs/requirements. Glad you found a unit that works well for "your" needs...Battery Tender works just fine for mine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that is a bit much to expect. The Battery Tender unit works fine for me with just a Samsung Galaxy S3 (full size, not a mini S3) and occasional GPS. I also use a non data USB cable which does seem to help a bit ( http://www.amazon.com/EasyAcc®-Micr...1438995402&sr=8-8&keywords=usb+charging+cable ). I wouldn't call the Battery Tender a "crappy product", it just doesn't suit your personal needs/requirements. Glad you found a unit that works well for "your" needs...Battery Tender works just fine for mine.
Hey Malice -

Thanks for the reply. Never thought about getting the non-data cable. That might have been my downfall. And yeah - I misspoke by saying it was a crappy product. I did have insane expectations.

What company manufactured the non-data cable that you have? Curious to see if they have an iPhone cable.

Best,

Doug

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Malice -

Thanks for the reply. Never thought about getting the non-data cable. That might have been my downfall. And yeah - I misspoke by saying it was a crappy product. I did have insane expectations.

What company manufactured the non-data cable that you have? Curious to see if they have an iPhone cable.

Best,

Doug

Sorry - just saw that you included the link for the cable in your reply.

Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is my setup. Got the USB plug from Cycle Gear for $15 and it works great on my iphone 5s.

Attachments

Reactions: dh300

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is how I did mine. Hooked the posi directly to the battery; negative to a nearby bolt. I ride mine everyday so I'm not worried about battery drain now. Will probably switch that soon now that I know everything works perfectly. Had to fabricate the mounting plate out of a generic bracket from Home Depot's lumber dept.
RAM-HOL-PD3U is the cradle I use. I had it on my scooter before this bike and crashed it...a lot and it never let go of my phone.
RAM-B-201U-A is the short arm ball-to-ball
RAM-B-367U is the base. Is the same bolt size as the stock handlebar mounts so it FITS PERFECTLY EVEN WITH STOCK BARS!! or with woodcraft clip-ons.

Reactions: dh300

·
Administrator
2,688 Posts
I've been using that Optimate for several months to stream music while using my iPhone 5 (and now iPhone 6) for GPS navigation while also running Rever. It keeps my phone charged at 100%. I absolutely love it so much that we put one on the husband's Multistrada.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
The battery tender USB unit advertises a 3amp output. As anyone used a multimeter to verify it?

I'm also experiencing slow charging with the battery tender USB unit. I'll have to swap out a cheap generic cable for my oem cable to see if it'll be any quicker. If it is, I'll just grab that non data USB cable and give it a shot.

OP, Thx for the review.

Malice, thanks for the non data cable suggestion.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey cadd -

Yeah - would highly recommend the optimate - or giving the non-data a try. Out of curiosity, what kind of device are you trying to charge?

Best -

Doug

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I think I'm going to stick with the 3amp battery tender. It works perfectly for my needs as I do not intend to use a GPS unit along with my phone on the bike. I actually did a quick test tonight. I have the OnePlus One phone. OEM charger is 2 amps. The phone charges relatively quick with the OEM wall charger and cable. From under 20% to 100% in about an hour (according to my phone's display). My previous devices (Nexus 4 & Nexus 5) takes longer to charge. And my old school Galaxy S3 took a while as well.

With a generic cheap usb cable plugged into the Battery Tender USB unit, the phone needed over 7 hours to charge. I unplugged the generic cable and plugged the OEM cable to the Battery Tender unit, it only required 53 minutes....same as the OEM wall charger. So my bottle neck is definitely the cable.

My phone is able to draw 2amps from a charger. The cheap generic cable didn't have the capability to supply that. 3amps from the Battery Tender USB unit is more than enough since the phone is the only device that will be plugged in (if needed). But that itself is drawing 2amps already. If I had an additional device (GPS, tablet, another phone, etc) I wanted to charge along with the phone, 3 amps total would definitely not be sufficient.

After looking at the specs for the OptiMate USB unit you're using, I'm actually surprised (and confused) that you're able to charge both your phone and your GPS unit without any issues since they only rate it at 1 amp!!! They must be understating their power capabilities!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.