Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I think this topic is very much in the air.

I want to clean my bike chain and saw people using WD40 in some videos and in others people are strongly against it! Is it ok to use it, I heard it makes the chain break and wear faster, however that could be from poor maintenance and set up of the chain ( tension ect.)

Also My shockers are a little bit squeaky from the previous owner living on dirt road sort of. How can I stop them squeaking, can i WD40 the suspension?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I've read the pro's & con's also about using WD40 as a chain cleaner and decided to go ahead and use it anyways and after 10k + miles I haven't had any problems. As long as you use it as a cleaner only not a lube. As a lube I switched to a wax base lube Maxima Chain Wax I found it lasted a lot longer that non-wax based lubes.
WD40 a Grunge Brush and my Chain Wax and so far its looking good :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read the pro's & con's also about using WD40 as a chain cleaner and decided to go ahead and use it anyways and after 10k + miles I haven't had any problems. As long as you use it as a cleaner only not a lube. As a lube I switched to a wax base lube Maxima Chain Wax I found it lasted a lot longer that non-wax based lubes.
WD40 a Grunge Brush and my Chain Wax and so far its looking good :)
Sweet as dude! Heard the WD works a treat to clean off all the grime!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't forget the Grunge Brush
http://www.sears.com/white-lightning-grunge-brush-yellow/p-SPM8047151229?sid=IDx20140425xECNMPFS10&srccode=cii_20121666&cpncode=45-26842478-2&redirectType=SRDT
I just used the link because of the picture you can get on at Amazon Ebay or dozen of places. Some of our site sponsors should be carrying them also It sure makes cleaning the chain easy.
Picture link doesn't work! but i've seen a few guys use them. Was going to use a tooth brush but this seems more practicable and faster haha.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm against using it on chains.. That is because of what I learned over the years of playing paintball. Regular gun maintenance is always key, I've seen lots of guys clean and lube up their guns using WD-40 only to have all their O rings start leaking significantly faster than the guys who used proper lube. Also, WD-40 stands for Water Displacement attempt #40, so really its not a lube, but a water repellent formula.

·
Registered
664 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Just grab some chain cleaner and lube. I just put my bike on the rear stand turn it on spray the chain with cleaner, turn the bike off and let it sit for a bit. Rinse off with some water, turn bike back on and rub the chain a bit with a rag to help absorb some water, then spray with lube. My chain afterwards looks brand new. No grunge brush needed.

·
Registered
594 Posts
about every 300-500 miles(when i am bored) or if i happen to be caught in the rain.
and when i change the oil.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It's recommended around 400 miles but since I use a wax based lube I can go further now. Also when it needs it I can hear a squeaking sound coming from the chain around the front sprocket, then I know its time to clean and lube again.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's recommended around 400 miles but since I use a wax based lube I can go further now. Also when it needs it I can hear a squeaking sound coming from the chain around the front sprocket, then I know its time to clean and lube again.
no worries ! heard every 2 tanks or so should be cleaned... cleaned it today for first time i think it's ever been cleaned from previous owner! filthy as. Solid 7600kms worth of grime gone

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
no worries ! heard every 2 tanks or so should be cleaned... cleaned it today for first time i think it's ever been cleaned from previous owner! filthy as. Solid 7600kms worth of grime gone
When you next work on your bike pull off the front sprocket cover you will be surprised the amount of gunk built up in there.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts