Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few of you are having probs with plasti dipping
i will use this thread to help you with tips i have learned
Now before i start please dont flame me because this is
not the way someone else or even plasti dip tells you to do it
this is how I did it and how i got it to work which if you do it
this way i think it will work

Ok things you need

Plasti dip ( i use the spray rattle cans i used 4 to do my project)
Drop cloth (i bought plastic huge sheet and cut it to fit)
Buckets ( i used these to put the pieces on and spray you can use whatever
but u want the pieces off the plasti drop cloth because the dip works like
glue and will come off if they are connected
Sand Paper ( start with 150 grain and all the way up to 2000 grain. )
A nozzle cover. I think this is the most important piece as it goes on top
of the rattle can and makes your spray alot easier and flush. i will enclose
a pic of mine so you see what i am talking about.
Cleaner and wash..
Mouth Respirator and goggles. DEFINITELY!

I will describe using the right side fairing as this is the main piece i worked on

Step 1 : Take the piece completely off the bike. I did not spray anything
on the bike it is much easier to do it by itself.

Step 2 : Take the upper fairing off the middle so that the only thing you are spraying is the white piece. The black piece that is connected (it
is now blue on my bike) comes off.

Step 3 : Clean the fairing completely. Make it sparkle LOL

Step 4 : Sand it or repair depending on your reason for plastidip. This is where you would fill in the crack and epoxy.
This is the stage where you do all your repairs, sanding etc. If you are just gonna plastidip i recommend 150 grit here
This will get the clear off and you will be able to have your plasti dip adhere better.

Step 5 : After you have done the prep sanding i would say finish with at least 600 grit. But you dont have to thats my way

Step 6 : First coat of plasti dip. Now listen carefully. Pick a corner , start with that corner no more than 8 inches away.
It will seem like you are too close at first dont worry about it. The first coat will go on thick. Everyone says to make your
first coat light. I make the first coat heavy. No reason to waste time with the light I will spray it till it is completely covered.

Step 7 : I let it sit about 5 minutes. Most people say to wait 15 to 30 minutes . WHY? I never waited more than 10 minutes
in between coats. Once again you are spraying plasti dip not paint. It is a plasti coating. If it looks like it is running dont worry. If there are huge runs you can blot them with a paper towel but otherwise i wouldnt stress it. Some part you have
to focus the spray I.E. the inlets for the air on side fairing. Dont worry about overspray just keep spraying until u get it.

Step 8 : I would put at least 5 coats at first. When I did mine I put 5 coats, than wet sanded with 600 grit. Then 5 more coats. Then wet sanded again. Then 2 coats and clear coat

Let it sit overnight after the clear coat and you are done. After the 2nd set of 5 coats you can tell if there are any spots
you missed but most likely you will have a smooth finish like i do.

If you have any other questions let me know. You can do the entire bike in one day easily if you do it this way

·
Registered
839 Posts
DipYourCar.com has great info as well,
oh and youtube videos :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
DipYourCar.com has great info as well,
oh and youtube videos :)
+1 dipyourcar vids have been very informative.

@op thanks for the info.:thumbup:
personally i wouldn't want to sand away the clear coat; that way when i want to remove the plasti dip its all good ya know? That said i bet the best results are only achieved through sanding.

·
Banned
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankyou tgr for ur comments. I was asked by 2 people to tell how I did it. Can always count on u to belittle me. Im done

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
958 Posts
Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I don't think TGR was belittling you icon1K, just adding a little info to your very well written post, just like SClown did. (I've looked at the sites and they do have some useful info and videos. :confused:

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Icon, don't take it to heart man.

You did a great write up and it's helpful to people who are too lazy to go to youtube.com or google it themselves... (Honestly, you'd think it was rocket science.)

And it's not belittling, it's called 1-upping. No matter what you say, someone else knows more and has to have information. Just ignore it, cause it's not always an intentional trait that people have. They see it as being friendly and helpful (which I am sure was the case here) and to others it seems like they're trying to outshine you.

TGR, TY for posting a SECOND way for people to find out about plastidipping. You guys have pretty much covered all the ways for people to learn how to do it.

·
Banned
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
only thing i would say is if you're gonna go through the trouble of sanding and everything, why are you using plasti dip over normal paint?

plasti dip is made to come off easy and goes over clear coat just fine
I use plastidip so whenever I get bored I can peel it off and paint a different color. ive already got a new scheme designed of burgundy and black with a little of my own flare in there

1 - 11 of 11 Posts