Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this too much oil?

It’s right where the top of the window ends, so a little over the max line. I bought the bike a week ago and this is how it came- the seller assured me this is where it should be. The manually obvious says differently which I just decided to heed tonight. The bike has seen a decline in performance since I bought it last Friday- engine seems like it’s working too hard while climbing gears at 7 to 8,000 rpms and sometimes will be rev very briefly while hard accelerating as if the clutch were disengaged when it isn’t. Could this be related to there being too much oil? Have I destroyed the engine in a week? I ride it pretty hard and have definitely made some clutching mistakes as I’m a beginner that have undoubtedly been hard on the engine, but nothing insanely bad. I love this bike to no end. This is slightly killing me.

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Make sure you've checked it properly.

Engine warm, wait 3 min, balanced vertical. Should be between the marks at that time.

If not, get a length of clear hose and siphon some from the oil fill until it's between the marks.

If it is indeed too high, you may have pumped excessive oil into airbox - so check the inside and the filter element.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My advice: Stop riding the moto. It is sick. Drain the oil. It looks very light in color. Give it the smell test: does it stink like gasoline? You may have fuel mixed in due to a faulty injector, worn rings, overly rich fuel mixture or another reason. A crankcase that full of oil is going to cause the bike to run poorly. You can google the answers to your question about why. Refill the crankase w/new oil to the correct level. Give a test ride and keep an eye on the oil level for a few days. Good luck! I hope there is a simple fix and the bike gets healthy again.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I see a little bit of clear window right at the top which would indicate it's not too overly full. Make sure youre checking it with the bike upright. If you have any doubt do an oil change though the oil looks pretty new to me (use a proper motorcycle oil).

The symptoms you're describing sound a lot like a slipping clutch. With the mileage and your noob status it's a decent bet the clutch is worn out.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The symptoms you're describing sound a lot like a slipping clutch. With the mileage and your noob status it's a decent bet the clutch is worn out.

Possibly.
But I reckon the bike is running on some weird oil, and possibly overfilled too.

The bike has 13K miles and ran fine the first few days, so I doubt the clutch wore out in that short time-frame.

the damage might be already done though, who knows...

·
Registered
251 Posts
If the clutch was close to worn out a new rider slipping the hell out of it could easily take it over the edge.
What damage are you referring to?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is this too much oil?

It’s right where the top of the window ends, so a little over the max line. I bought the bike a week ago and this is how it came- the seller assured me this is where it should be. The manually obvious says differently which I just decided to heed tonight. The bike has seen a decline in performance since I bought it last Friday- engine seems like it’s working too hard while climbing gears at 7 to 8,000 rpms and sometimes will be rev very briefly while hard accelerating as if the clutch were disengaged when it isn’t. Could this be related to there being too much oil? Have I destroyed the engine in a week? I ride it pretty hard and have definitely made some clutching mistakes as I’m a beginner that have undoubtedly been hard on the engine, but nothing insanely bad. I love this bike to no end. This is slightly killing me.
Sounds more like a clutch problem. What is the play in your clutch lever? Is it to spec with the manual?
Your engine is fine if it runs.

My advice: Stop riding the moto. It is sick. Drain the oil. It looks very light in color. Give it the smell test: does it stink like gasoline? You may have fuel mixed in due to a faulty injector, worn rings, overly rich fuel mixture or another reason. A crankcase that full of oil is going to cause the bike to run poorly.
Light in colour? New oil.
A crankcase filled to the top of the glass will not greatly affect performance. A crankcase filled to the filler hole will.

Possibly.
But I reckon the bike is running on some weird oil, and possibly overfilled too.

The bike has 13K miles and ran fine the first few days, so I doubt the clutch wore out in that short time-frame.

the damage might be already done though, who knows...
So for a few days it ran fine?
Then it is not the weird oil unless it fouled the plugs.
It is not the overfill unless it fouled the air filter.
Sounds more like a clutch cable adjustment.

The symptoms you're describing sound a lot like a slipping clutch.
^^^this

Also as you say you are new, are you holding on to the clutch lever, applying pressure and not realising it?
It can happen just like resting your foot on the rear brake lever and not realising it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My advice: Stop riding the moto. It is sick. Drain the oil. It looks very light in color.

Huh? I just did an oil change and straight out of jug it's really light and transparent. there's not enough information here to judge the oil quality. old oil is black and opaque and if water or fuel mixed in it would look more like a latte than oil.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Huh? I just did an oil change and straight out of jug it's really light and transparent. there's not enough information here to judge the oil quality. old oil is black and opaque and if water or fuel mixed in it would look more like a latte than oil.
The color isn't a great indicator of anything - oil type or lifespan.

The question is - is it the right oil? Did they dump just anything in there? Car oil (not good), vegetable oil? Who knows...

Always a good idea to change it on a used cycle if there is any question.

·
Registered
35 Posts
if they made that big of a mistake, I would change the oil entirely and fill it right, with the correct oil. Take out the assumptions from the problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
If your oil looks like a latte then it sure does indicate something. you can have the right oil and have it contaminated and the new color will let you know something isn't right.

But for OP there's nothing about what he sees to indicate anything about the oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts