Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Came walking out from dinner tonight to see this. Bike has 537 miles on it and the oil seems to be escaping through a vent. The day prior I was riding home from work when all of a sudden my bike went from 3500 RPM to 0 by itself. Oil light came on and bike just died. I checked the window and the window was 3/4 full. Went to start the bike up and the bike started fine.

Any ideas as to what's going on? I called my local dealer and they were useless.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not yet. That was my plan for Sunday.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Do not ride that bike.

You have a warranty, call the dealer and get them to send a truck to pick it up. If the dealer refuses, contact Kawasaki USA.

Riding a bike with a substantial oil leak is extremely dangerous. Your rear wheel could get coated in oil and you will crash, or your engine will seize and you will crash.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
That's draining from the air box.. This happens when the oil is over filled, that is one cause. When you checked your oil was that on the kick stand or straight up and down?

Also the bike dying, its happened to many of us while riding, there are threads on it here.. And the oil pressure light coming on is normal when the engine dies because there is no longer any oil pressure.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rear tire was coated.

I had the bike straight up and down when I saw 3/4 in the window. I have not added any oil at all whatsoever.

Think tomorrow I'll end up getting a rear stand and doing a full oil change. Followed by extensively washing the bike.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
What is the oil level at now (with the bike standing)? If the engine wasn't overfilled, then there's still a serious issue that needs to be fixed.

What did the dealer say, are they refusing to look at the bike or what?

Be very careful with the rear wheel at this point. The rubber will absorb some oil, so depending on how much spilled on it and how long it sat there, it could be slick for a while.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the oil level at now (with the bike standing)? If the engine wasn't overfilled, then there's still a serious issue that needs to be fixed.

What did the dealer say, are they refusing to look at the bike or what?

Be very careful with the rear wheel at this point. The rubber will absorb some oil, so depending on how much spilled on it and how long it sat there, it could be slick for a while.
Still reading at 3/4 full standing up and down...not side stand. Dealer down here says, ride it in. It's one of those dealers that I vowed, I would never deal with. The dealer I got my bike at is closed on weekends and Mondays.

Second closest dealer is about 40 minutes away. I'll take it to a dealer and mention it to Kawasaki USA. In the meantime, would you guys recommend, oil change, and extensively washing down the bike? What about the air box? If it's venting from there, do I need to replace anything in particular?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
If its not from over filling, your engine is pumping oil into the intake somehow

Only other thing i can think of, if you dropped the bike oil will flow though the ccv onto the air box. Did you drop the bike, or was it knocked over?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If its not from over filling, your engine is pumping oil into the intake somehow

Only other thing i can think of, if you dropped the bike oil will flow though the ccv onto the air box. Did you drop the bike, or was it knocked over?
Knocked over. But that occurred back in December. Christmas shopping and come out to find out it was tipped over. Learned the hard way to start locking my handlebars.

You think any parts or components in the air box may need to be replaced? Especially considering the oil you saw from the video?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
There are only 2 parts inside the air box, a filter and a screen..

If you plan on riding it to the dealer, open up the air box and clean it out first who knows how much oil is in there..

How does the bike run? Smooth?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are only 2 parts inside the air box, a filter and a screen..

If you plan on riding it to the dealer, open up the air box and clean it out first who knows how much oil is in there..

How does the bike run? Smooth?
Seems smooth. Shifting is fine. Get the occasional smell of oil, but with the amount that vented, kind of to be expected.

I recently ran across a link to take the air box out, but need to dig it up again.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Seems smooth. Shifting is fine. Get the occasional smell of oil, but with the amount that vented, kind of to be expected.

I recently ran across a link to take the air box out, but need to dig it up again.
That requires a lot of disassembly, and in the end the problem still won't be fixed.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah. What a way to start the new year huh? Could be worse. Could be an expensive a$$ Ducati. Taking it into dealer tomorrow. See what they say. Worst case scenario...warranty. Will post a video of how it looks now.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My opinion, you have an oil leak. Last thing I would do is change my own oil. Then they will blame you. They need to look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My opinion, you have an oil leak. Last thing I would do is change my own oil. Then they will blame you. They need to look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Very true. Got warranty for a reason. Disappointed in the leak, but this is my first bike and it is a learning experience.

Out of all the things that have happened to me on this bike; I have to say the scariest is the bike just randomly stalling and shutting down on me. It happened right in the middle of a turn and I managed to pull far off to the side of the road and catch my balance.

Oil can be drained and replaced, air filters and screens can be cleaned and replaced, bike can be washed, etc. But these minor issues myself and others are having. Not too fun. Guess we're the guinea pigs.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Looking at that video, I'd agree with cbzdel, there's way too much oil in the bike.

When the bike is completely cooled and standing upright, the oil level should not be above the MAX line. Your entire sight glass is full even when on the side stand... and that's after dumping a bunch on the ground.

I would take it to the other dealership (40 min away) and then contact Kawasaki about the dealership where you got the bike. If they can fail such a simple task, they should not be in any position to be servicing bikes.

If you're going to ride the bike, give the rear tire a very good hose down and scrub, and take it easy in the turns.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
There is way to much oil in that bike! If your dealer sucks try changing your own oil and open the air box up and clean it out along with the air filter. There is also another plugged drain plug on the front left side of the air box, you can remove the clear plastic cover to drain more.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts