Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
The manual recommends regular mineral oil. Other better than that won't hurt though. Do a search. There are many threads about oil.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would go with full BIKE synthetic oil. I went with Mobil 1 10w40 in my 2013 with 4600 miles. It had regular BIKE oil when I got it. I changed the coolant to Engine Ice and fresh brake fluid front and rear. Next will be the fork oil to a heavier weight oil. Several aggressive street rides and 1 track day and the engine is super smooth!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I run Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 in most of my smaller cycles, but use Mobil1 10W-40 4T Racing in my SV.

Mobil1 tends to shift better for longer, but Rotella is still a solid choice for most cycles.

I run synthetic oil in everything.

·
Registered
93 Posts
+1 on Rotella T6. I’ve run it for many years on all my bikes. It’s cheap, easy to find, and works as well as anything else.
I wouldn’t recommend Engine Ice for the street, though, it doesn’t have the corrosion resistors that regular antifreeze does.

·
Registered
21 Posts
+1 on Rotella T6. I’ve run it for many years on all my bikes. It’s cheap, easy to find, and works as well as anything else.
I wouldn’t recommend Engine Ice for the street, though, it doesn’t have the corrosion resistors that regular antifreeze does.
I have been using engine ice in ALL my bikes for the last 15 years. Never had any issues. Regular antifreeze is allowed only in the beginner group. I have even run straight water with Hyper Lube in a few bikes. Many racers run straight water. Straight water and Engine Ice do make the run cooler than antifreeze. My current gixxer 750 has water and hyper lube and it runs very cool. The only issue is there is no freeze protection, I usually dump it before winter comes, even though my garage never goes below freezing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tried the Rotella T6 5w40 once in one of my 750s before a track day and dumped it immediately after the track day. I had been running the Mobil 1 4T racing oil for years in this bike. Decided to give the Rotella a shot since I heard good things about it. The shifts were not smooth and the engine sounded different. 😱😱😱 I went right back to the Mobil 1 4T Racing and the shifts were smooth again and the engine sound was back to normal. Bike oil in bikes and car oil in cars.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I tried the Rotella T6 5w40 once in one of my 750s before a track day and dumped it immediately after the track day. I had been running the Mobil 1 4T racing oil for years in this bike. Decided to give the Rotella a shot since I heard good things about it. The shifts were not smooth and the engine sounded different. 😱😱😱 I went right back to the Mobil 1 4T Racing and the shifts were smooth again and the engine sound was back to normal. Bike oil in bikes and car oil in cars.
Just to clarify - yes - car oil in cars for sure, but Rotella T6 is for diesel engines, and doesn't have the same restrictions on additives that car oils do - so it's safe to use. Standard auto oil is not.

One note on Rotella - there are 2 new Rotella T6s out. One is T6 15W-40, the other is T6 5W-30 Multi Vehicle.

The 15W-40 is fine if you are in hot conditions, but the 5W-30 Multi Vehicle has reduced additives so it shouldn't be used in cycle engines. Most cycle engines don't require 30-grade anyway, but just so you know there's now more than one type of T6.

My SV does shift better for longer with Mobil1 4T Racing, but some of my other cycles don't have any issues with T6.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have been using engine ice in ALL my bikes for the last 15 years. Never had any issues. Regular antifreeze is allowed only in the beginner group. I have even run straight water with Hyper Lube in a few bikes. Many racers run straight water. Straight water and Engine Ice do make the run cooler than antifreeze. My current gixxer 750 has water and hyper lube and it runs very cool. The only issue is there is no freeze protection, I usually dump it before winter comes, even though my garage never goes below freezing.
It’s fine if you flush your system at least once a year. OP said he is a new rider, I’m sure he is only planning on riding on the street so it’s more likely that he will rarely, if ever, flush the system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts