Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dose anyone know the torque Specs for the 10ish bolts that hold the oil pan/oil pan gasket to the block?? Or should I just hand tighten them? I have a 2014 Kawasaki ninja 300 ABS special edition (SE) I already cracked one oil pan buy torquing to much so I don’t want to risk it again

· Super Moderator
808 Posts
As per Service Manual;
(It doesn't say anything about the tightening order)

Oil Pan Installation
• Install the following parts if removed.
Oil Pressure Relief Valve (see Oil Pressure Relief Valve
Installation)
Oil Screen (see Oil Screen Installation)
• Replace the oil pan gasket with a new one.
• Install the brackets [A] as shown in the figure.
• Tighten:
Torque - Oil Pan Bolts : 9.8 N·m (1.0 kgf·m, 87 in·lb)
• Install the removed parts (see appropriate chapters).

Motor vehicle Mode of transport Automotive design Auto part Gas

· Registered
654 Posts
Use a 1/4" drive ratchet, and tighten them down to "snug".

Go little by little, using an "X" pattern, and try to get them all the same.

It's hard to overdo it with a 1/4" drive ratchet. Torquing to minimal amounts can be tricky, and not always accurate.

Keep an eye on it for leaks, and add some torque if you are getting some. Better to tighten too little initially than too much.

· Registered
371 Posts
There is a gasket as well for the oil pan. The 87in/lb torque is probably used to crush the oil pan gasket a certain amount. Get the new gasket if you don't have it already, P/N 11061-0794, and lik JK said, just incrementally tighten down. Large engine pieces absolutely must be seated evenly, so don't duck-duck-goose the bolts.

IMO, I always use a torque wrench on any engine parts, even just engine covers and the like. Even a cheapy torque wrench will at least get you evenly tightened parts.

And in case it's also not clear, make sure you get all the old gasket material off. They make fantastic cheap 'gasket scraper' plastic razor blades or similar products that won't mar up the aluminum. If it was me, I might even take the oil pan to a large piece of glass and wetsand it on 800 grit or more sandpaper to get a perfect mating surface.

-Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts