Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, hoping someone can clarify if this is something to worry about? I have what looks and smells like oil dripping from a small vent or hole under the seat. It tends to drip onto the chain guard.

Is this normal?

Bike has 500kms on the clock

Thankd

Attachments

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
that's where the air box is. Have you dropped the bike recently?

·
Registered
257 Posts
My guess is crank case breather (Or PCV system?)

Don't know how common it is on these bikes. Theres a thread here where someone had a serious amount of oil getting in there and bleeding down the frame IIRC. It's basically a vent to let air in/out of the engine, if the crank case or valve train was sealed they would build pressure from heat and to a small extent exhaust. Pistons aren't 100% perfect at keeping pressure neither are valve guides etc so some pressure leaks into those spaces. Guys who have bikes that can wheelie like champs usually vomit oil out of their airbox because of the vents.

Now I want to go check mine heh. I'm not saying this might not be a problem, but I wouldn't be surprised to find some oil in there. My one car has tons of oil in there because it's got a turbo, it blows all kinds of oil through he valve cover when the PCV Valve needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
952 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Toaster, it can also be a result of too much oil. The PCV will then suck up excess into the airbox, and it would drain out there.

So first thing I would check is your engine oil level. With the bike off, cold and on level ground, standing upright, it should be between the min/max lines.

And yes, if it's been dropped, oil will overflow there through the airbox.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys, appreciate the replies. Yeah bike was dropped at roughly 30km/h by previous owner. Damaged looks to be isolated to fairings only.

So I'm guessing with the bike leaning over it can tip up through the air box vent, am I correct in saying that?

Oil levels are perfect with the bike standing and switched on or off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi guys, appreciate the replies. Yeah bike was dropped at roughly 30km/h by previous owner. Damaged looks to be isolated to fairings only.

So I'm guessing with the bike leaning over it can tip up through the air box vent, am I correct in saying that?

Oil levels are perfect with the bike standing and switched on or off.
How did you fix the leak?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue. Same leak same spot I have no idea how to fix it. The air box is like impossible to even remove from under the frame.

·
Registered
452 Posts
It's most likely to have some oil in the air box. Oil can get there if you dropped the bike, or some people claim that the N300 sucks oil from the crankcase when you ride it high speed for long periods. It never happened to me though.

Check the air filter is clean, and check your engine oil level regularly to be sure it's not going down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts