Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
. I am going with an aftermarket oil filter and the Rotella T6, so your rant on using Kawasaki specific parts.:icon_scratch:
it was far from a rant.

it was an attempt to make you see the fact the oil filter is generic and there is *PLENTY* of options open to you, the oil filter isnt the only generic part on this bike as it has been made abundantly clear to you in this thread a number of times already, so with the information provided to you thus far you can make a decision and purchase what best suits you.

as i have stated earlier this is only *ONE* Ninja 300 specific oil filter, that is the OEM one, end of story.

i hope i have made it perfectly clear

·
Registered
958 Posts
Filtering oil is not rocket science. Just like oil, it is mainly your confidence and peace of mind that is at stake and not the ability of the oil or filter to do a good job. I use the oem filter cause it turns out to be as cheap as anything I can find cause my dealer offers it on a discount 2x a year. If I had to pay full price..$13 or so, I would probably go to Walmart and pick up a Fram or car filter. The only thing I worry about is GAPS in my FAIRINGS cause they are right in front of me whenever I ride. LOL. Several knowledgeable people have pointed out that it is not the kind of oil or filter you use, but how often you change them that is the important issue. BTW, I usually change my oil quick, but I am looking at the oil in the sight glass and it looks pristine at 150 miles. Probably at about 200 miles I will change it (and the filter of course). I am doing a hard break-in..just not as hard as I did my first 2 300s. There, the oil was really dark at 200 miles and that was the 2nd oil change on both of them. This one is different cause I have not been wringing the bike out so much. No reason really except I've been riding more for fun instead of with the purpose of a hard break-in. Will it matter? Heck no. This 300 runs the best of the 3...no stalls plus no vibration or wobble at any speed. I have had it up to 92 mph briefly which is as fast as I would ride it even on the Texas toll road with an 85 mph speed limit.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I received my Hiflofiltro 303 oil filter. The Rotella T6 is on sale, I am picking that up tomorrow. After which I will change my oil.

On the Hiflofiltro box it says:

TUV - Type tested & production monitored to meet or exceed all OE specifications. Suitable for all types of engine oil including fully synthetic blends.

Go to www.hiflo.com and the n300 is listed for use with this filter.

I did think about using the Kawasaki S4 and I called my local dealer and they said they didn't have any in stock and they won't be ordering any until spring! What? If anything Kawasaki head office should make sure dealers have oil and filters on hand at all times.

I gave Rotella a try on my cbr125 and it worked fine.:cowboysmilie:

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
On the Hiflofiltro box it says:

TUV - Type tested & production monitored to meet or exceed all OE specifications. Suitable for all types of engine oil including fully synthetic blends.

Go to www.hiflo.com and the n300 is listed for use with this filter.
damn near any filter you buy will have the same/similar blurb written on it, as i said earlier, the filter is generic and not only fits the 300 but a bazillion others as well

·
Registered
342 Posts
damn near any filter you buy will have the same/similar blurb written on it, as i said earlier, the filter is generic and not only fits the 300 but a bazillion others as well

Yes, but they explicitly state it themselves for use with the n300. That information does not come from a third party cross reference.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Yes, but they explicitly state it themselves for use with the n300. That information does not come from a third party cross reference.
mate, stress less, ride more.theres plenty of generic parts that will fit & work nicely with the N-3 and you will keep riding along with no issues, honestly mate, your worrying over nothing:)

·
Registered
458 Posts
I just cut open an OEM filter today to see what's inside. I'm not really impressed. I'll use the Purolator PL14612 even if it costs more than the OEM filter.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
mate, stress less, ride more.theres plenty of generic parts that will fit & work nicely with the N-3 and you will keep riding along with no issues, honestly mate, your worrying over nothing:)

Hiflo 303c filter and Rotella T6 is now in the bike. I did a 10 km ride: the shifting is smooth and sounds great. The true test will be next week when I run through my 600 km commute.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Here are the insides of the OEM filter.

On top of the element is the bypass valve, the blue chinga-deris on the base is the anti-drainback valve, its made of soft silicone rubber and it also acts as an O-ring to seal one end of the filter element. It seems to be of good quality.

The bypass valve. I measured about 5 lb force to push the valve open which equals about 17 psi oil pressure when you factor in the area of the valve. This valve is only there in case the filter is so clogged that oil can't flow through the element anymore, it allows the oil to bypass the filter element.
The anti-drainback valve in its normal position.

The filter element itself. I was kind of concerned about the apparent lack of sealant on the outside sides of the folded paper element but I can't stick a knife blade into the openings so I guess they are sealed. On the Purolator filters, the ends of the filter element are bonded to metal end caps with some sort of resin.

I really don't see anything particularly remarkable about this filter except for the Kawasaki name on the outside of the can.

More about oil filters on this website.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but where do you buy your filters? And what about oil? I figure the oil is probably easy enough to get locally, but the filter?
Auto zone has the filter listed as special order.

Nvm I figured it out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
O Riley's have them in stock in town next to mine . and napa has some the other direction in another town... I am not able to find oil or filters locally. must drive 10 to 25 miles.. although the Gas station claims to have order the oil for me it not come in for 4 weeks now. and doubt it will..

·
Registered
546 Posts
I am not able to find oil or filters locally. must drive 10 to 25 miles...
In a similar position here; nothing much local, so the filters I buy online (Amazon): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E2CVIS
The oil I can get local, and I settled for Mobil1 Racing 4T Motorcycle 10W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (many use Rotella T6).

(BTW, you are replying to a 7-year old post. Pretty much NONE of the posters in this thread have been active in years.....just saying.)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have a local Kawasaki dealer that I like to purchase what I can from them..so I get the factory Kawi filters. Just like Mal, I've finally settled on Mobil 1 4T oil. When I first got the bike a few years ago I switched up oils regularly, thinking that some oils led to clunky shifting...turns our the source of the clunky shifting was me, not the oils!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Been using Mobil 1 4T for many years. Shifts the smoothest of all the oils I've tried, and doesn't degrade over time like T6 does in my SV.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts