Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil on my ninja myself today. Was easy, took off the bottom right fairing, a child could do it.

Heard a little bit about people snapping tabs, again, seems pretty hard to break them unless you are trying. (For those who are nervous, like I was, to change their own oil).

My question to you:

The break-in oil that the dealership had in the engine FILLED UP the viewing window when the bike was warm, off, and upright.

However, in the owners manual it says, if warm, off, and upright the oil should only be IN-BETWEEN( IE. halfway) up the viewing window.

With the engine on and watching the window, you can see the oil being sucked into the engine, the only reason I filled it up more was because there ended up being NO oil visible in the viewing glass while on and upright after a while.

Am I completely wrong/paranoid? Is that right? Or is having the window full up while warm/off/upright okay? Never thought a little extra oil would be a bad thing.

Thanks for your responses.

-V

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fill it to the top of the window when the bike is OFF, COOL, and sitting straight up (NOT ON THE SIDE STAND!).

The more oil the better as long as you are not over the maximum. Why? Because then you have more oil to lube the bike.

Example: If you add dirt to a little oil, you make the oil really dirty. If you add the same amount of dirt to a lot of oil, the dirt is more diluted by the extra oil... The more oil the better.

James

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
just dont go nuts and overfull the bike with oil, this is when having too much of a good thing goes horribly wrong.
i usually stand the bike on the side stand, and then crouch down on the right side (opposite side of the stand) and grab the handlebar and stand the bike up straight so i can see the oil sight glass and see whats going on

·
Registered
993 Posts
I pour a little in at a time after the second quart, at about 2 1/3 quart I put the oil cap on, start the engine (I only do this step if I have changed the filter also) and let it idle for about 1 to 2 min, shut it off, let it set for at least a minute, crouch down on the oil port view side, reach up squeeze the brake, place my left knee on the ground and my right knee up, tilt the bike untill its against my right knee or untill its sitting about level and then bend over and look to see where the level is, if its not in the site window, I add a little at a time and do the procedure over and over till the oil is in between the marks.

Reactions: Vezi

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Fill it to the top of the window when the bike is OFF, COOL, and sitting straight up (NOT ON THE SIDE STAND!).

The more oil the better as long as you are not over the maximum. Why? Because then you have more oil to lube the bike.

Example: If you add dirt to a little oil, you make the oil really dirty. If you add the same amount of dirt to a lot of oil, the dirt is more diluted by the extra oil... The more oil the better.

James
No I wouldnt go with that, it is just as bad to have too much oil as it is not enough oil. Very easy to overfill a bike.

I echo what cruizin, old rider & chevyguy4321 has said, put in the amount that is specified in the manual, ride it for around 5-10 mins and get it warm. Then just like a car wait at least a few mins for the oil to settle back in the sump. Then check your level again whilst holding the bike level. If you are low, top up, you should be halfway up your sight glass, maybe a tad more. Checking the oil level while the bike is running will give you a false reading of low oil, as the oil is being moved around inside the motor. You need give it time until it all drains to the sump.

Much easier to add a little more oil than it is to drain a little out.

Please tell me you changed your filter too.............oil changes are pretty pointless without a filter change.......

·
Registered
523 Posts
The question isn't so much about "the proper way to fill the oil", but rather "what is the proper oil level."

The manual says you should start the bike, let it warm up, turn it off, let it sit for a few minutes and THEN check the oil level, which should be between the lines on the sight glass. If that's the case, then you're fine; I wouldn't worry about how much was in the bike to begin with if you've already changed the oil.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I said in my post the oil was at the top of the glass, upright as warm. Thanks for your input about the oil.

James

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I really appreciate the responses but I don't think any of you actually read what I wrote.

Firstly my concern was the break in oil from the dealership was farther than the top of the viewing glass. I filled up the oil pan with 2.5L of oil just as the manual specifies but when warm and upright after running (hence warm) it fills above the viewing glass. When I turn the bike on (upright still) the viewing glass is half filled. Is that too much? Should I take out some of the oil so that it's only halfway up the mark on the glass window when off?

When I didn't see any oil in the window when it was running it made me feel weird as the dealership break in oil was visible at that stage and I figured they would have used 2.5L too. Unless they run more for the sake of that type/break in etc

Also of course I changed the oil filter... That's a bit... I don't even know what to say lol. Bit insulting! I may ask stupid questions here (very hesitant to do so I may add) but I'm far from being THAT dumb :(

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Nobody said you were dumb and nobody was insulting you, you didnt mention that you changed the filter which is why the question was asked.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll be taking some oil out tomorrow then =) Thanks guys, I think I over did it a bit.

Any good solutions for doing so? I was just thinking about undoing the oil pan screw again and letting it drain a bit... Don't have another oil drain though *facepalm* oh the dreads of living in a condo.

Thanks everyone for your great responses. I'm grateful.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Well, yes, I did read your post, I could have said..." what did you say about your manual?" "then why not follow it?" I simply told you how I do it, which is how the manual states.
Apparently the mechanic who initially filled your bike did not fill it correctly. Don't do what someone else did, follow the manual, you can't go wrong if you do. If it blows up and you followed the maual, then the manufacture is at fault. If you say "well, it was overfull when I got it so I filled it up the same way" and it blows up, the dealership will say "did you not read the manual?" sorry your warrenty doesn't cover oil overfill by owner.
If you are worried about it being previously overfilled, take it in now and tell the dealership you changed the oil per the manual and discovered that it was overfull before you started and ask what damage could that have done?

Reactions: jeff

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I didn't say anyone called me dumb, don't worry!

"Please tell me you changed your oil filter..." =/= Did you make sure to change your oil filter?

It's just that the ellipses didn't help imply the sincerity of your question!

Thanks for your help!

Nobody said you were dumb and nobody was insulting you, you didnt mention that you changed the filter which is why the question was asked.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Dang, one minute apart.... ok... just put a pan under it (a clean one) and loosen it up till it barely streams, let it go for about 15 to 20 seconds and retighten, check the oil, if it is still high, do it again... if it goes to low, then poor some back in from the container, repeat till it sets between the marks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a very good point. Thanks for the advice.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Well, yes, I did read your post, I could have said..." what did you say about your manual?" "then why not follow it?" I simply told you how I do it, which is how the manual states.
Apparently the mechanic who initially filled your bike did not fill it correctly. Don't do what someone else did, follow the manual, you can't go wrong if you do. If it blows up and you followed the maual, then the manufacture is at fault. If you say "well, it was overfull when I got it so I filled it up the same way" and it blows up, the dealership will say "did you not read the manual?" sorry your warrenty doesn't cover oil overfill by owner.
If you are worried about it being previously overfilled, take it in now and tell the dealership you changed the oil per the manual and discovered that it was overfull before you started and ask what damage could that have done?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was thinking so, thank you.

To be honest I never even saw either of these marks and I was looking at the glass window for quite a while...

Dang, one minute apart.... ok... just put a pan under it (a clean one) and loosen it up till it barely streams, let it go for about 15 to 20 seconds and retighten, check the oil, if it is still high, do it again... if it goes to low, then poor some back in from the container, repeat till it sets between the marks.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I was thinking so, thank you.

To be honest I never even saw either of these marks and I was looking at the glass window for quite a while...
I took a marker on my wifes bike and marked them so she could see and check her oil on her walk around.
I hope you do that...walk around the bike and check it before you ride, never know what could have come loose or got stuck under it after you rode last time.
Make a sort of schedule, like every friday check your air, oil and coolant, if you start now it'll be ingrained and will become part of your life, and maybe save it one day.:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've heard a lot of people say that, and honestly with a new bike I haven't done it once.

I think it's something that's totally worth getting into the habit of.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Yes, it does sound like the dealer had a little too much oil in there. You can guess how much too much by slowly uprighting the bike by pulling to toward you as you are standing on the right side of the bike with the kickstand down. That way you can feel when it's balanced too and that's the point to check by holding the bike and bending down..provided you are doing it alone. If the window fills with oil before you get the bike balanced, then for sure they put too much in there. It is supposed to be between the two marks on the window.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts