Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I decided to do the first oil change on the 300. Ive done many on other bikes which usually takes around 20 min if im taking my time...anyway as I drain the oil I go ahead and attach my little filter removal tool(the end cap type) and nothing..the damn thing wont turn..just starts stripping and slipping..no big deal ill try the old duct tape trick to try and get more grip on the can...same thing...at this point im kicking and screaming at the thing...I drive over to the auto store and started grabbing every filter tool I can find so I dont have to make several trips if one fails...at the advice of the cashier I try this one tool first that grips the can tighter as you loosen the filter...it grips all right it crushed the can far enough that it cant grip it any more and now its dripping oil from a whole made by the tool:mad: well now I gotta get the thing off so I said screw it and stabbed it with a screw driver and turned the thing loose like nothing...now im wishing I woulda just did that to begin with:rolleyes:...oh well its done and done...anyone else have issues getting their filter off??? Oh in case anyone cares I went with mobile 1 full synthetic (not my first choice just available) and k&n filter (easy to remove:)).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
277 Posts
Did you let the engine warm up (slightly) before starting the oil change?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Screw driver and hammer. Drive the screw driver through the filter and use the screw driver as a handle to turn the filter. Super easy. You don't need fancy tools since the filter only needs to be hand tight anyway.

Yep thats what I ended up doing...I was trying to avoid the mess of punching the can if I could.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Yep thats what I ended up doing...I was trying to avoid the mess of punching the can if I could.

Oh.. lol.. I had a case of tl:dr.. :p

I also used Mobil 1 full synthetic (4t?), and I forget what filter (I think Bosch) but I used what was available locally.

And yes the stock filter was a BEAST to get off.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Screw driver and hammer. Drive the screw driver through the filter and use the screw driver as a handle to turn the filter. Super easy. You don't need fancy tools since the filter only needs to be hand tight anyway.

I had to do that too. Made the job super messy. :(

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh.. lol.. I had a case of tl:dr.. :p

I also used Mobil 1 full synthetic (4t?), and I forget what filter (I think Bosch) but I used what was available locally.

And yes the stock filter was a BEAST to get off.

Lol...yeah both the oil and filter are available through my local autozone...I like the k&n filters because you dont need any special tools to get them off...this is the first time using this oil though so hopefully its good stuff.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Everything that screws on has a torque setting. I don't have the service manual yet for the bike but I'd assume it's around 30-45 in-lbs. Next time I would recommend a strap wrench to remove the filter before you decide to tap and crank it with a screw driver. Although there's nothing wrong since you're tossing it anyways.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'd bet they did not use any oil on the seal on the filter at the factory. Mine was a monster, cap wrench slipping, got some channel locks and got it off mutilated. I'll see how the one I installed comes off, bet it will not be any problem. Should be able to loosen it by hand. I think it is the same filter used on my Vulcan 500 and my old 99 Maxima.

regards
Mech

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DIY oil filter strap , check it out on the DIY thread in my signature below
I actually have one like those but I didnt have an extension to attach my wrench at the time and I couldnt get a good angle without one...I was trying to do the change without taking off the lower fairing which I ended up doing to do the screw driver trick...oh well I wont have to worry about it next time anyway. I went hand tight with the filter and its a k&n which uses a socket for removal.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd bet they did not use any oil on the seal on the filter at the factory. Mine was a monster, cap wrench slipping, got some channel locks and got it off mutilated. I'll see how the one I installed comes off, bet it will not be any problem. Should be able to loosen it by hand. I think it is the same filter used on my Vulcan 500 and my old 99 Maxima.

regards
Mech
Yeah i almost think they do it purposely to try to get you to come in for service lol...the k&n comes pre-oiled which is kinda cool.

·
Registered
419 Posts
mine was a beotch the first time as well. I stopped forcing it when it started to crumple on me and ended up getting it down at the base with an oil filter strap, extra rubber liner for said strap, and a breaker bar.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I also only hand tightened when I put the new one on. Screw the torque suggestions for an oil filter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Stock filter wouldn't budge with strap wrench no matter what I did. Filter cap didn't work either, just spun around. Had to remove the fairing and grab tight with channel locks. Not exactly the big production I expected to change oil and filter!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I struggled getting the filter off too.

I ended up removing the lower fairing, using a dishcloth to wrap around the filter, and using a filter strap wrench to remove the filter with success.:)

http://www.gearhead.com/kawasaki-16097-0552.html#/s/KUS//16097-0552/1

My replacement filter didn't have the same part number as the one on the bike. I took pics but It looks like I will have to use flikr to post those pictures here. The replacement filter is the right one. however, it looks like they cheaped out on the materials. :confused:

http://www.oilfiltersonline.com/Cross-Reference-for-Kawasaki-16097-0004

Here's a Fram Alternative FRAM PH6017A, how does it measure up to the replacement filter?

·
Registered
993 Posts
If you do have to resort to the screwdriver to get it off be REALLY careful!! LOL, i've been a mechanic for a looonnnggg time and I still cut myself on the filter when I had to screwdriver trick.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts