Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just watching the youtube video on how to change the oil (nice job phrenetiK) and now that I am at 306 miles, I am reading that some of you have already changed out your oil before the 600 mile service. Did I just make an expensive mistake by not doing an early oil change?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMO early oil change is only necessary if you are doing a hard break in. if you're not, i'd leave the break in oil your bike comes with till 600.
Thanks for the quick response. I was already planning to leave work and go get the filter and oil.

My break in has been mostly 4k rpms with a lot of variance between 3k and 4k. My idle was high from the factory at 2k but I adjusted that down a few days ago. I will admit that a few times I spike up to 5k to keep with traffic but only for a few minutes.

When you say hard break in, what kind of rpms are you talking about?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Old "first-oil-change" question

Because it is SO easy to change, I did mine at 295 miles, after riding about a half dozen times (first two weeks). Now I plan to change at 2,500 miles, then every 2,500 miles thereafter. Most difficult part is the removal of the oil filter. Since it is the same size as my SX-4 (suzook), I have a tool that fits perfectly. If you don't want oil all over the headers when you remove the filter, place a small container underneath to catch the oil as you unscrew it. Whole process takes a whopping 10-15 minutes and compared to my SX-4, Fiat 500, etc., has to be the easiest oil & filter change ever. I may increase my "interval" to 4,000 miles, depending on how the oil looks or if I switch to a synthetic, right now using Kawasaki K61021-202 oil (10W40) in both of my Ninjas. Also, I'm wondering if any of you have noticed the supplied oil filter that comes on the bike has a different part # than the 16097-0004 given at the parts counter? If you don't do your own work, you don't get to notice these things, right???? BTW, wisemonkey, sounds like you are using the exact same method I used & mine was idling at 2,100 or so and I reset my idle to around 1,400 - 1,500. Much better now. Never too old to do maintenance, I will turn 63 in a few months!

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
I was bad. Did my first oil change at 750. My oil was perfectly fine, bike was perfectly fine. Oil looked great... didn't even see flakes or anything in my oil, so no harm or foul. Didn't hurt my bike/engine or anything. Wasn't exactly easy on my bike either.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
I did mine at 1000 and wasn't being gentle. Vary RPMs, let it rev under medium loads and compression brake from high RPMs. The filter is perfectly capable of removing anything that might float around as it wears in ever so slightly.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
^Yep.

#1 tactic for selling your product : Fear.

If you sell the FEAR of messing up your engine if you don't do something, people say "better safe than sorry."

Just like old said, the filter did a great job and kept the oil looking brand new.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Just did my first oil change yesterday at 58 miles on the ODO. All 58 miles were off the charts RILUSI riding. No flakes in the oil and is was clear as piss. I put in 4T 10W40 and will change again between 500 and 600 with more 10W40. Then every 3K after that with 20W50 for the summer.
Hard Beak In

·
Registered
466 Posts
i am doing a hard brake-in i did change it at 20 miles, and i saw some flakes in the oil not giant but little one, i am planned on doing one at 250 is 200 right now..

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
i picked up my bike from dealer on friday 25th janurary 2013, did 81 kilometers round town & didnt get above 4th gear.took it on saturday/sunday for a ride north to carins for a round trip to put me back home with over 850 kilometers on clock.ride it to work a few times and in to the dealer for first service with about 950 kilometers on the clock.i will ask today what the oil looked like

^throw your money away in my direction, please.
hey don’t forget me:D

·
Hero of Time
1,352 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. I was already planning to leave work and go get the filter and oil.

My break in has been mostly 4k rpms with a lot of variance between 3k and 4k. My idle was high from the factory at 2k but I adjusted that down a few days ago. I will admit that a few times I spike up to 5k to keep with traffic but only for a few minutes.

When you say hard break in, what kind of rpms are you talking about?
I brought my rpm to 11000 before 50 miles. Tons of visible metal flakes in my oil when I changed the oil at 50 miles.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Changed mine first time at 282.5, medium (normal riding) break-in with a couple of passes up to 7k rpm. Oil was dirty as heck, no flakes just dirty. I'm now at 450 on the odo and will change the oil again at 500, rode it hard today (not sayin' how hard).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Early oil changes / too frequent ?

Changed my oil & filter at 295 miles. Couldn't stand to ride it around at low speeds any longer. This has to be the easiest oil change of anything I own, so I'll change at least every 2,500 miles. First oil change there were no flakes, so I hope the filter did its job. By 350-400 miles I was turning 6,000 rpm, now at the 1,000 mile mark have had it to 9,000 a few times. Interesting that the manual says at 600, then 7,600 miles for the 1st & 2nd oil changes. I wouldn't do that to my car!!!!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Isn't it amazing how much we have to guess at with these things that should be black and white. Either the oil/and or filter are bad at 50 miles or not until at least 600 miles. Either a hard break-in is better, or it isn't. Either synthetic is the way to go, or mineral oil is just fine. Either a car filter is fine or no, you better use this filter or that. Either you need to warm up the bike for 10 min. or not at all. Often when there are so many conflicting opinions about something, the answer is that it doesn't really make any difference.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.