Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, as some of you may know I won't be getting my 300 till September. Even though, I would still like to be extremely prepared for all the maintenance since this will be my first bike as well. I was just wondering what type of oil and gas everyone uses. I'm wanting to use te best choices because I wanna keep it all smooth and feel like its new even after thousands of miles. Also what about air filters?? I'm planning on putting all kinds of after stock equipment on it from a new exhaust to new lights and everything in between. :cool:

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
Oil really is just find a brand that you are able to get easy some use diesel truck oil others use full sin mc oil and some use just plain oil. as far as gas I use what ever is midgrade.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just got my bike a few days ago. If you look around you'll see a bunch of different recommendations on each. As for the oil though, what I'm doing is a medium break in. Not running it over 9k for the first 1000 miles. Changing oil at 100,600,1000 then following the recommended oil change mileage. I'd say up until 1000 I'd go with the kawasaki oil 10w40 as recommended in the owners manual. After 1000 it's up to you. A lot of feedback from what I've seen is to switch to fully synthetic. Once I switch I'm gonna go to Amsoil 10w30 or 10w40.

For gas I'd go with a min octane of 91. I have 93 available where I live so that's what I'm running. There's a lot of debate on this one too. The owners manual says minimum of 87. I've always ran higher octane on vehicles I run hard and it's never given me any problems. I can tell if I switch to 87 the vehicle won't run as good. I'd use a name brand gas too like Shell.

I haven't checked into air filters yet... Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Before someone tells you this I'm gonna say it first...go to the mods section or do a search. The gas I use is regular. I'm going to change my air filter but not yet. I have an Leo Vince slip on exhaust. I put those blind side mirrors on my side mirrors so I won't have to move my arms everytime to see if there's a car behind me. My first service was done at a shop and they charged me 125... But like many others will say, u can do it yourself but I just didn't feel like it -lazy- :)

September is a long ass time and by then something else may come out, so if I were you I wouldn't get to talking about this bike that much or you're going to just see the days go by slowly...

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Hey guys, as some of you may know I won't be getting my 300 till September. Even though, I would still like to be extremely prepared for all the maintenance since this will be my first bike as well. I was just wondering what type of oil and gas everyone uses. I'm wanting to use te best choices because I wanna keep it all smooth and feel like its new even after thousands of miles. Also what about air filters?? I'm planning on putting all kinds of after stock equipment on it from a new exhaust to new lights and everything in between. :cool:

there is a search function up the top of the forum, these topics have been done to death many times over

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ox1de: in what way does your bike not "run as good" when using 87?
I can't imagine he'll have an answer that makes sense. Bottom line is the bike is tuned to run optimally with 87, so that's what you should run. I guarantee you cannot tell the difference between 93 and 87 because there won't be one. But if you want to throw away $0.30 or more per gallon, go ahead.

·
Registered
630 Posts
87 octane for me, and I've had fully synthetic oil in since ~250 miles.

·
Registered
392 Posts
87 - 91 octane you probably cant tell a difference. Recommended for this bike is 87. I think the main thing is use GOOD gas such as Shell or Chevron if that is what you have in your area. I myself can tell between different gas stations and how my vehicles run using their type of gas.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
My last bar was blinking, so I went to the gas station....stopped at 12 bux :p

I could of stood her up, and put more, but last time I did that, I guess I put too much, and gas started draining from the draining hose on the left side when she was on the stand. So, now I just stop when it stops....10-12 per fill up...I'm happy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.