Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While the Ozarks are getting clobbered by one more winter blast :coldsmilie: and I'm getting over almost two weeks' worth of yuck, :dizzy: I have made my travel plans for a trip the The Dragon in late July!!!:woohoo2_smilie::woohoo2_smilie:
For personal safety reasons, no details here. If anyone is local to the area or will be traveling in the area, PM me and we'll figure out a place to meet up and ride!!!:revv:

I was there almost 10 years ago, just four months post-BRC, on a 2005 Shadow Aero 750. I like to think that my riding skills have improved dramatically since that time (although I could be wrong about that..:shrug.001:), so I'm REALLY looking forward to putting Sheldon through his paces this time! I hope I can time a tire change for shortly before I leave. I'll be continuing on to Cincinnati after my Dragon fun, so it'll be around a 2000-mile trip or better. Last year I went to Cincinnati via Des Moines/Chicago/South Bend on my NINJA 1000. The trip was around 1800 miles, and I bet 1500 of them were in the rain.:storm: The last Dragon trip, the only rain we had was at night, and a brief cloudburst in Great Smoky Mountain Park, which left my husband gratefully accepting a garbage bag from a kind family in a minivan.:rainyday_smilie: Here's to perfect weather this trip!:eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sweet. That’s on my todo list one day. >:)

·
Registered
554 Posts
While the Ozarks are getting clobbered by one more winter blast :coldsmilie: and I'm getting over almost two weeks' worth of yuck, :dizzy: I have made my travel plans for a trip the The Dragon in late July!!!:woohoo2_smilie::woohoo2_smilie:
For personal safety reasons, no details here. If anyone is local to the area or will be traveling in the area, PM me and we'll figure out a place to meet up and ride!!!:revv:

I was there almost 10 years ago, just four months post-BRC, on a 2005 Shadow Aero 750. I like to think that my riding skills have improved dramatically since that time (although I could be wrong about that..:shrug.001:), so I'm REALLY looking forward to putting Sheldon through his paces this time! I hope I can time a tire change for shortly before I leave. I'll be continuing on to Cincinnati after my Dragon fun, so it'll be around a 2000-mile trip or better. Last year I went to Cincinnati via Des Moines/Chicago/South Bend on my NINJA 1000. The trip was around 1800 miles, and I bet 1500 of them were in the rain.:storm: The last Dragon trip, the only rain we had was at night, and a brief cloudburst in Great Smoky Mountain Park, which left my husband gratefully accepting a garbage bag from a kind family in a minivan.:rainyday_smilie: Here's to perfect weather this trip!:eek:ccasion14:

May the wind be on your back. :emot-thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I went to the Tail of the Dragon this past July with the mighty Ninja 300 and it was definitely a bucket list item! I urge any motorcyclist to get there and ride the Dragon as well as the other awesome roads they have down there, the views and twisties with not a lot of traffic is unreal. Cherohala Skyway, and the Fontana Dam was great!

I hope you get great weather and stay hydrated, it was HOT in July!

With all the photogs there I couldn't help but throw on the track suit to get some knee drag shots...lol.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Very nice!

What's the speed limit in that road? I bet it's full of police and speed traps.
Edit: I checked it out. It looks like the speed limit is 30mph! Pretty low!

·
Super Moderator
2,605 Posts
It looks like the speed limit is 30mph! Pretty low!
That's about the maximum safe speed on The Dragon. That’s not a road to get wild on - those that do frequently end up leaving by ambulance with their bike parts joining The Tree of Shame.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's about the maximum safe speed on The Dragon. That’s not a road to get wild on - those that do frequently end up leaving by ambulance with their bike parts joining The Tree of Shame.
Yep I believe its 25-30mph for that road, I did a bunch of passes up and down it to get to know the road before I started upping the pace a little. The other motorists are good there in warning you if there are police sitting in corners with their radar guns and give you a heads up.

All my upper paced runs through the dragon happened early in the morning b/c after about 930am and later it starts getting more motorists on the road and you're pretty much at speed limit or slower through the dragon run.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I've never been down there, but from what I hear, the trick in staying out of the ditch, besides not riding like an idiot, is to know where the decreasing radius turns are.

I think my Z125 would be a blast down there.

·
Registered
484 Posts
When will you do it? :grin2: Those roads are perfect for small bikes.

I may go next week. I'm planning to go to Jennings this week end, and now I'm thinking in getting some extra days and go to the dragon after the track. It would be my first time at the dragon.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've never been down there, but from what I hear, the trick in staying out of the ditch, besides not riding like an idiot, is to know where the decreasing radius turns are.

Not so much decreasing radius as changing to negative camber. Impossible to memorize 636 curves in 11 miles until 100s of laps.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Why are you doubling the number of curves? I think the official number is 318. Are you counting the round trip? If so, it should be 22 miles, shouldn't it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Why are you doubling the number of curves? I think the official number is 318. Are you counting the round trip? If so, it should be 22 miles, shouldn't it?
Great question. Racers know that memorizing details of every curve is essentional to winning races, and surviving races. Details to memorize are radius, camber(s), duration, incline, visibility, painted lines, broken asphalt, debris, apex (s), braking zone, runoff area, direction of sunlight, risk of death like cliffs and guardrails and traffic. Memorizing 318 curves is tuff enuff, when you try it seems impossible, more like a million curves. Only locals can attempt that, after perhaps 1000s of laps.

Why 636 curves in 11 miles per lap? Right, or is it 22 miles per lap?

1. It sounds cooler and more challenging to have twice as many curves.
2. A race track counts curves in only 1 direction per lap, BECAUSE THATS THE ONLY DIRECTION RACERS ARE ALLOWED TO GO.
3. On the Dragon, 99% of riders travel both directions in 1 lap, 318 curves in 11 miles 1 way for 1/2 lap, another 318 curves 11 miles back to complete 1 lap of 22 miles, then go home. In the reverse direction each curve is completely different in every variable, the opposite really, every detail memorized is wrong and guaranteed to kill you, literally. Death rate doubled during policestate crackdowns, by running off skilled riders and attracting more tourists. The # of curves is perhaps hyped and exaggerated for marketing purposes, but 318 sounds cooler for 1/2 lap so we go with that, but most riders do 3/8s lap.
4. Or you are superman Yellow Wolf on an 1800 cc Gold Wing setting an unofficial Iron Butt world record 91 laps in both directions in 24 hours with 29,786 curves in 1001 miles. I assume "1 lap" for his world record is defined as half a lap, actually 3/8 lap, but in reality each half lap is completely different, effectively an entirely different road. Hes a motocross racer and truck driver, fast with endurance. You can see YW on YT.
5. Almost no one only slays the Dragon in only 1 direction, unless they crash on their 1st half lap, dead, or alive n broken.
6. Isle of Man TT race is 37 miles, with approximately 200 curves and 1300 feet elevation change, in 1 direction only. If they raced to the finish line then back to the start line, that would be 400 curves. The Dragon has an additional 600 feet of elevation change in 11 miles so is 4 times more mountainous than IOM TT. 270 fatalities in 100 years. The Dragon is nearly that death rate.
7. It is true that the videotaped "roadrace record" (hillclimb) runs on the Dragon are recorded on video in 1 direction only, south to north, for 318 curves for 1/2 lap, or 275 curves for 3/8 lap from Overlook. Often because they are just cheap and lazy in video editing for dvd sales (I want to see MORE lol). They start at Deals Gap NC in the north, ride slowly south checking road conditions, traffic conditions and police speedtraps, then stop at the Overlook parking area at about MM 8. Then its top speed in TN to the NC line. TN cops do stop at DGMR in NC then roll back to TN being shady. Most speed traps are at MM 11 at bottom of the mountain at the boat launch parking lot where riders can accellerate to 190 mph by the lake, posted limit is 30 to 40. Actual speed limit is 65 mph as I proved in court, but adults know our govt never obeys the law. The cops have their own racetrack now in Blount County Tn, to help them chase bikers, without crashing upside down rolling off the mountain to get funny memes posted at DGMR (yes pic is still there but meme scratched off).
8. Im very surprised the biker tourist traps failed to market 636 curves per 1 lap of 22 miles. They are blinded by their dvds of racers setting records for 1/2 lap or 3/8s lap from lake to NC state line or Overlook to NC state line. Most of the marketers live in NC, thats another reason they "race" to the NC state line, to escape the jurisdiction of TN cops, since the Dragon is entirely in TN, for legal and marketing purposes of NC business owners.

Bottom line, anyone may count any # of curves they want, nobody really knows. But if you want to be accurate, and realize what you are up against, 1 lap is 636 curves in 22 miles. Believe me, your body will feel it. As a racer in England for 8 years, i count and memorize every curve to survive, which is impossible for me on the Dragon. Can you survive a ride on the Dragon? 37 riders failed to do so in 25 years. Failure to countersteer causes 90% of biker crashes, says Dr Harry Hurt's report for DOT. IMHO a Baby Ninja is the safest bike for the Dragon, and potentially fastest in curves.

Note that #1 killer in USA today is government funded doctors, who intentionally murder 4,000 citizens every day, intentionally 1.6-million murders per year, accidentally murder another 1-million citizens per year, 65-million intentional murders of citizens since 1973, plus 45-million accidental murders of citizens since 1973. Does our policestate lockdown care about public safety? What do you think? Bring your own EMT kit to the Dragon, dont ride alone, dont wait for a 4-hour ambulance if possible, remember to countersteer, no the Dragon is not a racetrack its much more dangerous, ride to survive. Its always best to blow money on tshirts n barfood than traffic tickets that may require you to appear in court or go to jail for a very long time.

Can you survive any of the dozen other biker tourist trap highways nearby? Thats another story... My cousin's final ride on the Tellico Dragon:

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts