Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the most effective way to fix the off idle jerkiness? It's the most annoying thing about the bike to me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I installed a booster plug and it smoothed the throttle response out quite nicely.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I might try the booster plug. The theory of operation is simple enough. I am thinking about trying a o2 sensor eliminator just to see if it will richen things up a little for me.

·
Registered
228 Posts
seems most bikes are twitchy to some extent. I assume you've adjusted throttle free play? Watching Motojitsu youtube vids and he claims all bikes are twitchy and it all comes down to mastering throttle control. Let us know if you come up with anything.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ever ride a F.I. SV650? Talk about touchy down low.

There are a few things the SV guys do to smooth it out. One thing is the TRE (Timing Retard Eliminator) mod that alters the ignition timing. Another is adjusting the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) to the correct factory spec - as most are not set properly from the factory.

Not sure if making a TPS adjustment would have any benefit, or if Kawasaki uses anything similar to Suzuki's timing retard system on the 300, but I thought I'd mention what has worked to cure similar issues in other situations.

EDIT: Link to info on the "Booster Plug" - https://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/9-ninja-300-parts-accessories/134136-boosterplug-review.html

EDIT 2: Link to similar thread with discussion on TPS - https://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/11-ninja-300-issues-troubleshooting/109745-abrupt-throttle-response.html

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Throttle is adjusted properly. It's not so much a throttle control issue as the jerkiness happens with the throttle being held steady. I've ridden many bikes and it's just seems more pronounced on this one. I'm wondering if my model with the O2 sensor is worse than most.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I also installed the Booster Plug, and it definitely improved the "jerkiness". A good investment, despite the flak I received from some of the forum members for the apparent non-sophisticated technical solution to the problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the same going on with my ninja. Ended up doing the FlashECU and slightly bumped my idle speed up to almost 1.5k. That helped smooth out the off-throttle jerkiness. Not completely, but enough to make it tolerable in slow traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sounds like you just need practice, also don't be afraid to use the clutch at lower speeds to smooth things out
Maybe but I've been riding nearly every day for 30 years and have owned a couple dozen motorcycles so if I still need throttle control practice there's probably no hope for me:)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also installed the Booster Plug, and it definitely improved the "jerkiness". A good investment, despite the flak I received from some of the forum members for the apparent non-sophisticated technical solution to the problem.
I've looked at the booster plug and understand how it works. It's tempting but I'm a bit wary of anything that's going to be messing with my mixture that isn't something super legit like a pc

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the same going on with my ninja. Ended up doing the FlashECU and slightly bumped my idle speed up to almost 1.5k. That helped smooth out the off-throttle jerkiness. Not completely, but enough to make it tolerable in slow traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you give me more info on the flashecu?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts