Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've now owned my ninja 300 for 3 months. It's my first bike, ever. So I have some questions about the OEM tank bag?

Is the OEM tank bag easy to see over? Is it at a good height to rest on at high speeds?

How easy is it to refuel with the bag on? Since the rear strap goes under the seat, and isn't easy to remove, I presume the front clip will be easier to remove when refuelling?

Where exactly under the tank does the front clip insert into?

I've seen a used tank bag for sale but without the underseat strap. Can I buy this cheaper, used bag and buy the underseat strap from somewhere else?
I don't know if the strap was ripped off or if it somehow came off. I can't tell because the pictures are of very low resolution :D

How would you compare the oem tnak bag with other tank bags?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm no help regarding this tank bag...but tank bags in general make me cringe...in regards to the paint on the tank getting damaged. I know some tank bags attach to special mounting rings around the gas cap...but most just attach via magnets or straps directly on the tank. Putting a bag that will move around a bit on a dirty tank is similar to sanding your paint.
Something I just can't do...

I realize a lot of people love tank bags and they add some useful storage...but I prefer tail bags or even panniers (like the Hepco & Becker C bow system)

·
Registered
356 Posts
I just re-read my reply...I'm sorry, it's not very helpful. You were asking about specifics on tank bags and I replied how I didn't like tank bags...not what you were looking for. Others will come along with better info...

Happy Holidays and enjoy your new bike. Little Ninja's are awesome!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Not familiar with the OEM bag - can you post a photo?

Is it magnetic or does it require straps?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks for your replies jkv and iahawk!

Pictures of the eom tank bag are available if you google 'oem tank bag kawasaki ninja 300'. It looks fantastic. It has magnets that are covered by cloth and unlike the other brand tank bags, they have 20L capacity and look good on the 300.

I found a similar Oxford tank bag but it has a cringey round shaped that looks hilarious :D

The oem looks good though!

Scratching is my main concern (if dirt gets between the bag and the tank). So the plan is to see if there's anything that can sit in between the paint and the tank bag to prevent tank scratching.

I think subtle tank pads are the best best but they don't cover the whole tank usually. So I'll need to be careful about wiping the underside of the tank bag before putting it back onto the bike after refueling. I think refueling will be the only time I take the tank bag off.

thanks for the help.
I've ordered one to the uk from the US!

Keen to see how good it is

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hope you will get the best one. To avoid paint damage I prefer to use the strap one. The magnetic one is stuck with the tank by the magnetic base which has more chance to damage the paint as compared to the strap one. I have been using a Medium Enduro Tank Bag and It's quite better than the magnetic one. I have ordered it from the Viking Bags and It's really soft on the bottom and never had a problem with scratching the paint.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hope you will get the best one. To avoid paint damage I prefer to use the strap one. The magnetic one is stuck with the tank by the magnetic base which has more chance to damage the paint as compared to the strap one. I have been using a Medium Enduro Tank Bag and It's quite better than the magnetic one. I have ordered it from the Viking Bags and It's really soft on the bottom and never had a problem with scratching the paint.

thank you!

I've ordered the Kawasaki ninja 300 oem tank bag from the us. It'll arrive in 3 weeks or so.

It's strap and relatively large, but will be nicely fitted. I look forward to resting my upper body on it when doing long rides on the highway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looking forward to hearing what you think of it when you get it. I've had my 300 for 3 years and finally wanting to get a tank bag (as well as Givi TE4108 to better mount my soft bags). The OEM bags were discontinued but it's super tempting with the good things said about it around this forum.

One thing I don't think I've seen - mainly wondering if the tank bag has a nice waterproof-ish hole so that power can be routed inside the bag without cutting it.

Enjoy the new 300, it's such a nice bike.

·
Registered
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250 w/ 17' 300 engine, 07 EX500
87 Posts
As far as tank bags goes, I have not 1 but 2 Rapid Transit Recon 19L Magnetic Tank Bag. One of them is over 13 years old.

It's a great bag for sport bikes, plenty of room, a lot of useful features, including backpack straps.

Unfortunately it's seems to be discontinued, but I have found it on eBay.

·
Super Moderator
2,653 Posts
I know you've already ordered the OEM one, but adding my thoughts on the Cortech Super 2.0 10L bag - I've had this bad boy on my bike since 2016 (had a different one previously) and I've had 0 issues with it scratching the tank. I do check that there's no dirt on there before I slap it on, though. Collapsed, it has a 5L capacity; expanded it has 10L. Collapsed I can fit 3 bottles of water, a couple of power bars, my little emergency kit (spare contact lenses, a couple of bandaids, ear plugs, etc), a small bottle of visor cleaner, a cleaning cloth, gum, and tire gauge. Expanded it will accommodate all of that and a spare visor (which I no longer need to carry since I switched to the Transitions visor!).

Once you get the OEM one, please come back and give us your thoughts on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts