Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
I went from 87 to 89 since I had the stall to see if it would help. Then back to 87. I can't say the higher octane made any difference in the stall or performance. Gas falls into the same category as oil, unfortunately with all sorts of unsubstantiated claims about one product being different or better than another. The 10 or 20 cent difference between 87 and 89 octane price isn't that significant. I mean the price of all gas goes up and down by that much quite often. But I know a few people who burn regular gas in machines that ask for high octane and they also swear the car/bike runs fine. If you buy a performance bike and the dealer fills it up for you, most likely he put regular unleaded 87 octane fuel in it even if it calls for 93 octane.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Guess you just got a bad batch. But ethanol is not too great for any car or bike in general. It has a higher burning rate so it leaves residues behind and slowly causes corrosion.
I run E47 in my car. All I had to do was change the Fuel injector seals as the rest of the system is 100% Flex fuel compliant.
With my custom tune I got an additional 40 hp via extra boost and 10 degrees of timing. It also dropped my 60-100mph times down to 3.9 seconds from over 7 seconds. :D

The problem with corn is that if you let it sit, water accumulation occurs. Thats a big problem if you don't use the fuel. As such, i always add the stable to my lawn eq and will do the same for the winter on the 300

·
Banned
277 Posts
I run E47 in my car. All I had to do was change the Fuel injector seals as the rest of the system is 100% Flex fuel compliant.
With my custom tune I got an additional 40 hp via extra boost and 10 degrees of timing. It also dropped my 60-100mph times down to 3.9 seconds from over 7 seconds. :D

The problem with corn is that if you let it sit, water accumulation occurs. Thats a big problem if you don't use the fuel. As such, i always add the stable to my lawn eq and will do the same for the winter on the 300
What change in MPG did you see? From what I've heard, switching to ethanol helps make more power but it also requires a good amount of more fuel when compared to dino-gas.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I don't make the mistake of caring about gas mileage when dealing with high HP.
:D
But you are correct.
With E47 its not as bad as pure E85. I only lost 20 miles per fill up compared to 93 Octane.

Funny thing is, i get the same amount of miles out of a full tank on my Ninja as I do out of the car.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I only use Chevron 91 octane with no problems.

·
Banned
48 Posts
i've been running cheapy gas station 87 without any issues at all

·
Registered
21 Posts
My bike used to "sizzle" for lack of better term, in the lower rpms(5-6k) early on. I ran 93 octane. Now I only fill up with 87 octane that is ethanol free(100% gas). Runs and sounds smoother, It's worth the extra money to run ethanol free imho. I also noticed the bike sounded a lot smoother after I switched to full synthetic.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Holy thread necro! :D I only use 91 in the GSXR because it requires at least 90 octane and California has 89 or 91 in most places so I go 91. The ninja runs happy as a pig in shit with 87 so I ran 87.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use 89 for city driving, 91 on mountain runs/3 day weekend type 'fun days', but ive run 87,89, and 91 in my 300 so ill share my experiences.

91 is definitely its favorite drink. more low end torque, high rpms feel like it could keep going, and it pops and bubbles something fierce around 7000rpm when decelerating. I average 160 miles a tank in it, however I primarily use 89 due to the better "balance" in the way the engine runs on it. I average 200 miles a tank on 89 of course with approx .5 gal left and the fuel gauge has already been flashing a couple days, so it is a bit of a stretch, not a super accurate mpg reading. 87 octane rides like a 250r. no issues with stalling or poor performance, in fact the engine runs just fine on 87, but I would not recommend for daily use.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I usually use plus yesterday topped off bike with 93.....noticed immediately drastic performance. I personally feel like I'm riding a 500cc ...the bike even sounds better....been receiving compliments all day

61 - 73 of 73 Posts