Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Ninja 250r has a compression ratio of 11.6:1 and the 300 has a 10.6:1 ratio. The Ninja 300 should be more 87-octane friendly. If I thought I got some bad gas, I might put a little Seafoam in the tank too.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I didn't either till the other day. I've been around the block with this before too, I'm not exactly sure what I'm hearing but it fits the right conditions for now.

The tinny 300 engine will not sound like my tuned 32v Mach 1 when it gets a belly of crap gas.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I didn't either till the other day. I've been around the block with this before too, I'm not exactly sure what I'm hearing but it fits the right conditions for now.

The tinny 300 engine will not sound like my tuned 32v Mach 1 when it gets a belly of crap gas.
Yeah, my last car was a GTP Grand Prix, that thing sounded like crap if you went to a less than reputable gas station.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
221 Posts
I put 87 or 89. But it's always good gas from chevron or shell never cheap. You'll save a few dollars but pay alot on the long run.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I do use cheaper gas from Buc-ee or Murphy Oil associated with Wal-Mart. 87 octane has been under $3 a gallon for a while now in Texas at these two stations. I've never had a problem, even with my carbureted bikes.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
New theory for now, cat delete and the noise is totally gone. I can't get it to do it at all now where even with 93 octane it would happen slightly around 4500 RPM.

I'll report back if it starts again but i think that was the culprit and probably not a real problem, just a noise the bike will make. I've read these are very lean at lower RPMs, that may cause it to overheat under load.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Once I changed over from Kawa break-in oil to full synthetic, my bike runs and sounds better. I really noticed that with my Street Triple r too. Synthetic oil plus getting it broke in seems to make some of the quirks disappear. It does take a while for the 300 to warm up. I idle it for 2 min. or so, then ride slowly in 1st and 2nd and 3rd gear for 5 min. keeping the rpms at 2000 and it still sounds and feels tight. It takes another couple of min. until the engine is hot and ready to wring out. I oiled my chain too. That didn't seem to be very well lubricated to me but it is a little hard to see cause the chain is kind of white and the chain wax is whitish too. Still, it didn't feel well-oiled. It is now though. The only quirk I have has already been reported and that is that the engine dies when coming to a stop or nearly dies. This occurs only when the engine is warm, but not hot from about 5 min. to 8 min. of riding. After that, no problem. Actually it's not a problem now cause I just give it a little throttle if I hear it about to die as I come to a stop sign.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Turns out the cat delete wasn't the solution. I noticed the noise again within days. I started to think it was a vibration off the fairings till a new tuner ended the noise completely.

If you are getting a metallic sizzle sound, like light wire brushing against aluminum foil is the best I can describe it, go to higher octane (which wasn't enough for me) or get a tune. That 4-5k RPM zone must be really messed up stock.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
if you have a read thru the Australian Federal Chambers of automotive industries web site, you will find the answers. infact the kwaka web site tell you to go there to find the info in the first place

http://kawasaki.com.au/company/support

go down to where it says ethanol

heres a link to the page they want you to read

http://www.fcai.com.au/environment/c...-blend-petrol-

it says these kwakas are not completable with E5 and E10

Kawasaki
All motorcycles and All Terrain Vehicles with the exception of the list below

it says these kwakas are E5 and E10 compatible

Kawasaki
KLX110A/C/D (KLX110/L) 2006-2012 models, KL250J (Stockman) 2006-2012 models, KLX250T (KLX250S) 2009-2012 models, KLX250W (KLX250SF) 2010-2012 models, KL650E (KLR650) 2008-2012 models, KLE650A (Versys) 2008-2009 models, KLE650D (Versys ABS*) 2010-2012 models, ER650A (ER-6n) 2006-2008 models, ER650C (ER-6n) 2009 model, ER650D (ER-6n ABS*) 2009-2011 models, EX650A (ER-6f) 2006-2008 models, EX650C (Ninja 650R) 2009 model, EX650D (Ninja 650R ABS*) 2010-2011 models, ZR750L (Z750) 2007-2012 models, EJ800A (W800) 2011 2012 models, VN900B ( Vulcan 900 Classic) 2006-2011 models, VN900C (Vulcan 900 Custom) 2006-2011 models
* E10 fuel is approved for use in these LAMS variants models

hope this answers your question

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well, I am not going to buy $17 a galllon race fuel. :eek: I don't even do that for my MX bikes and they are much higher strung that the 300!

We have what we have here in NJ. Winter brings some really bad oxygenated slurry to the pumps. MPGs drop across the boards.

I'll keep up with the higher octane and hopefully nobody else has the same issues.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I've been using 91 octane since day one (the highest you can get here) and I've had no problems.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I noticed my bike sounded funny last night. I was just in my neighborhood looking for my dog, so I had no gear on. It may be the fact that I have never heard my bike without a helmet. Ill be taking it out tonight, i may post a vid and see what y'all think of the noise. It sounds like the description of the noise posted in this thread earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Bah! I had it tinkle a few times again last night, and then I remembered I put fuel in from my MX bike jug which "should" be premium but somebody in the family must have filled it with who knows what. Not as obvious as before but now occasional undew load and closer to the 5k mark on the tach. I'll run it down and refill and see if it is still there, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! :mad:

·
Registered
129 Posts
well its a 4.5 gallon tank, dont plan to ever put in anything but premium 93 octane and up, have two bikes and only about 15-20 miles on them now so have had no issues. Just as advice though, many tanks stir themselves at the gas station, prevents the gas from separating between filling from the tankers, stick with the cheap stuff or the expensive stuff, never in between since most drivers either fill up with the cheap gas or the expensive gas and mid grade tends to sit in the storage tanks for a long period of time

·
Registered
36 Posts
Owners manual here is Aus recommends 91, my cars have always been tuned to 98 and anything less would be noticeable and the engine would ping. Above recommendation shouldn't be a drama, the cost for the higher octane on a bike is negligible. Just do it :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
So I know the ninja does not need the premium fuel, however I was planning on using it anyways as you guys seem to. But I was wondering if it is more important to go to fuel without any ethanol or if the higher octane fuel is more important. (In regards to putting into my motorcycle, nothing else)

21 - 40 of 73 Posts