Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I’ll look into those tank grips, I’ve never tried them so they may help. Honestly the sliding forward is only part of the problem. I think the seat just needs a little more padding for comfort. I tried a set of woodcraft clip-ons and hated them. I took them off immediately. Also I’d change the footpegs but I think I would want them lower for more room not up and back.

· Registered
406 Posts
Sounds like your problem may be that the bike is literally too small for you man. Are you over 6 foot? Or super long legs? I am just a hair under 6 foot myself.

The woodcraft controls are all designed to make the rider higher, more scrunched, and more sprawled out. Not a comfort item, but a control and high-performance item. No wonder it wasn't comfortable lol.

I say this too because the stock foot pegs are quite low already. They are very easy to scrape when turning hard. Lower and more forward footpegs just probably don't fit on this bike man.

You sound like the kinda rider who might like bar risers. They will raise the bars (and maybe move them a bit forward or backward depending on the model) which will straighten your back, slightly straighten your hips, maybe unbend your knees a hair. Might be worth a try in combo with tank grips.

Hope this helps!

-Mike

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I’m 6’ and 190lbs. The stock handlebars I find very comfy and really the riding position is fine. Just a little akward lifting my feet up on the pegs sometimes lol. I’m sure you know what I mean if you are almost 6’. It’s not a big deal, not so much that I’d pay $400 for rear sets.
I will go for a comfy seat though, I don’t want one of those giant ones that look like a heart shaped pillow. Just a bit more padding and maybe not so slanted towards the front.
I may end up rising the bars 5mm when I install the Ohlins cartridge kit. That is if I can’t find a good way to open up the handlebars to fit the extra 5mm of the fork cap. I’ll just buy a set of aluminum 1” risers and have them milled down to 5mm.

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hey Mike, which rear-sets are you using? I wonder how the SV Racing rear-sets are? I know for one thing, they are a lot less than the popular brands like Vortex and Woodcraft. I have always assumed moving the footpegs up and back would be worse for a taller rider looking for more room but like I said, never tried it so I don't know. Probably if they weren't so expensive then I would have by now. I know I'll have to wire in a brake light switch but that's no problem.

· Registered
406 Posts
I use the woodcraft suite of controls on my 300. Clip ons and rearsets. I got the folding toe-pegs too, they saved my shifter. Highly recommend.

I just drew up a brake switch mount in CAD and then 3D printed the device for the brake pedal. It worked for a long time, until I was doing maintenance and broke the piece trying to remove it, and haven't gotten around to printing another since my 300 hasn't moved since summer. I'll have to reprint it and install that again.

I actually just finally fired it back up again yesterday! Took it around the block, all seems well. Very pleased.

So i can also tell you that the Woodcraft stuff is good to ride with, but also survived the crash well, and factually saved my frame, tank, and shifter from hitting harder. All I had to replace was the folding shifter toe peg, and foot peg. I took the rearset apart and cleaned and greased it up again, and it's perfect.

So if you get something cheaper, it might ride okay, but it probably won't crash as well as the big names in these parts. I've crashed Woodcraft stuff a few times now and they are pretty shockingly good at holding up. If you have a low-side, they will almost certainly save your bacon somehow.

Worth the cost, over a year into owning the woodcraft stuff.

-Mike

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I know they do make nice stuff but so expensive. Also the starting point for the footpegs is 2" back and not sure I want them moved that much. I'd rather something a little closer to stock maybe 1" up and back? For me it is all about comfort and it is hard to tell if (for me) the stock position will end up being the most comfortable.
I'm guessing the basic woodcraft rearsets make use of the oem brake and shift pedals? There are none in the pictures but it doesn't say in the description.

· Registered
406 Posts
Yes, the base kit reuses the OEM pedals.

As for the baseline position, you'd kinda just have to try it yourself in person... Last season I actually went from the most friendly (lowest, more forward) straight to the most aggressive (most rearward and upward) peg positions, and I like it. More cornering clearance, easier to move around on the bike when riding hard, and still comfy enough to not make my knees hurt or any of that stuff.

So yeah just kinda hard to say. You would just have to kinda try. If only you lived up the street lol.

-Mike

21 - 27 of 27 Posts