Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2016 Ninja 300. Everything has been working fine . One day I left the key on the on position too long and it wouldn't start . I waited about 5 minutes then it started. fast forward 1000 miles later. After some hard freeway driving 60-90 mph for about 40 min I made stop. When I went to start it, it just made a buzzer sound. I waited 5 minutes tried to start it and it made a buzzer sound. Being in neutral is not the problem. The dash lights up and doesn't really "dim" but rather it flickers and resets , and resets the fuel prime, which i can hear each time it cycles to start ). I decided to push start it and managed to pop the clutch in 1st gear and it started but the dash was going nuts and my aftermarket gear indicator was showing an F or C (normally shows a gear 1,2,3,4,5,6). Odometer wasn't working and the rpms were unstable. eventually the check engine light came on. I towed it home. Lights still come on so it looks like I have a good battery.

Any thoughts on what the problem is? I'm hearing maybe its some sort of electrical short maybe a broken stator.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'd start with putting a multimeter on your battery to confirm it's good...instead of just relying on dash lights. If battery is original it could be at the end of its life.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. One question about the jump start. If it's the battery then why didn't the bike continue to run?

I did test the battery this morning.

Key off: 12.5v
Key on: 10v

Since the bike won't start I did a static tested the stator with a DMM using ohms. And all the combinations ab ac bc came out around 2 or 3 ohms. Is that ok?

I'm going to buy a new battery and start her up and I'll update. I'm hoping that's all it is.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thank you. One question about the jump start. If it's the battery then why didn't the bike continue to run?

I did test the battery this morning.
Key off: 12.5v
Key on: 10v

Since the bike won't start I did a static tested the stator with a DMM using ohms. And all the combinations ab ac bc came out around 2 or 3 ohms. Is that ok?

I'm going to buy a new battery and start her up and I'll update. I'm hoping that's all it is.
That's telling you the battery is bad.

With the ignition on you should only lose a few tenths of a volt.

You should get 10V or more as you are cranking.

Be sure to fully charge the new battery before installing it. Most are not when you purchase them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts