Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so after reading the 100 plus post on the 300 stalling I'm wondering if anyone has one that has never done it and had no problems.im looking at getting a 300 but after reading all this stalling stuff I'm not so sure, I'm going to sell a perfectly good Kawai to get it and I don't want to get one and regret it,I'm lined up to pick one up Thursday after work and I'm wondering if I should hold off thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had mine since October 3rd the day it hit my dealership, I've had it serviced and never once have I had a stalling problem. Not even from a cold start. Sometimes I wonder if these stalling issues are a small rider malfunction rather than a mechanical malfunction.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I got mine used with 431 miles on it, The idle was set way too high at 2k RPM after warm up, should be 2k when cold (first started) with ambient temps at 45 degrees. I ride it easy to let it warm up completely, both oil and coolant, less than 6500 for the first 5 miles. Less than 5K for the first .5 mile.

After 400 miles it has never stalled, not even a stumble when it drops to idle speed.
I love this bike and after working on cars for 30 years I have great respect for machinery and do not abuse it. Some might consider that as a wuss way to ride a bike. All I can say is come on back and talk to me when YOU are 62, if you're still alive,

reagrds
Mech

·
Registered
813 Posts
Have not stalled the 300 so far... stalling is usually a rider issue not a mechanical issue? lol
I stalled a couple of times on hills when I had my first bike... but no stalling with this sexy bike so far :D

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
i rode my bike off the showroom floor with +1 sprocket, K&N air cleaner, two brothers slipon, and it has *NEVER* stalled, ater about 2 months of owning it , the power commander 5 showed up and was fitted and it *STILL* doesn't stall

if it does stall, take it to the dealer, let them look at it, if they dont fix it, make a note of who you spoke to, then read your owners manual & in the back theres an address to write a letter to the head office of kwaka in your county.

make sure you write a letter to them and tell them what dealer you took the bike to, on what day, who you spoke to and the VIN number of your bike & all your contact details & let kwaka sort it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Insist on them writing a repair order which officially documents your complaint. Every repair order is a legally binding contract, even if their is no exchange of money. If they tell you there is no problem they can recreate, you still have the documentation to show when you first complained.

regards
Mech

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
For the love of Pete it's not rider error. My bike stalls. It's annoying and it really shouldn't happen but it's not a deal killer. In other words, I don't regret buying this bike in spite of the stalling issue. Plus, if you do some googling this issue isn't unique to the ninja 300. So if you like the bike, buy it. Will it stall? Probably. But we're logging data in the other thread to see what possible remedies are. Plus, now that I'm aware of the issue I take steps in the first several minutes of the ride to avoid it (keeping RPMs low, excessive blipping, etc.). And once the bike gets hot it's WOT from there.

In summary, stalling isnt ideal and I'd like to resolve it but the bike is still good overall. Post a photo when you pick her up on Thursday.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This applies to the US. Once the NHSTA has issued a recall, it never ends. I had the fuel cap release button replaced on my 1971 CB350 two years ago in 2011. The recall was issued in 1977. In an accident the original button could be hit by the rider and the gas cap would fly open allowing fuel to spill. The recall required the manufacturer to replace the button with a locking button that would require a key to be inserted to push the button and release the gas cap for refilling.

34 years after the recall was issued (1977-2011) the dealership fixed my release button for free. At the time they did it the bike was not even running, I just took them the gas tank and the serial number.

regards
Mech

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The only problem with NHTSA is that it takes a lot of reports before they get off their ass and do something. Unless of course people get killed because of the stalling. But yeah, once a SAFETY recall has been issued, it's good for the life of the unit.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
1 - 20 of 76 Posts