Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What up peeps, I've had my '15 Ninja 300 ABS for a few months and I've ridden it on most days with no issues. The other night I took it for a five minute ride, parked it, came back an hour later, and it wouldn't crank. A good samaritan managed to roll start it but it died when he let go of the throttle. Roll starting it again, the bike ran more or less normal on the way home and it was able to run for several seconds without dying (I didn't check to see how long it could do this).

The battery reads 12.83v when completely off and 12.52v with the lights on. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Also I should probably note that the bike has been running very hot since I swapped out the Yoshimura slip-on it came with for an OEM muffler.

Edit: forgot to add:
I can't hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key to on.
The voltage reading doesn't change when I push the starter.
Pushing the starter makes no noise whatsoever.
I've tried starting in neutral, with the kickstand up, and clutch held in.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Your battery is dead - no CCA. Happened in my wife's car - good voltage, ignition worked, etc. You need a new battery.
The thing that doesn't make sense about that is no change in voltage when he hits the button. I would expect it to drop to almost nothing when you hit the button if the battery was junk.

12.52V is pretty low for just the ignition on though.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The thing that doesn't make sense about that is no change in voltage when he hits the button. I would expect it to drop to almost nothing when you hit the button if the battery was junk.

12.52V is pretty low for just the ignition on though.
Yes, there's something not right. Potentially NOT battery-related, at least not directly, IMO.
Unfortunately OP is all over the place with odd information, but the voltage information is very useful, at least....

"Roll starting it again, the bike ran more or less normal on the way home and it was able to run for several seconds without dying (I didn't check to see how long it could do this)."

(bolding mine)
Don't understand ANY of that.

"Also I should probably note that the bike has been running very hot since I swapped out the Yoshimura slip-on it came with for an OEM muffler. "

:unsure: Likely just a classic "Red herring"?

"I can't hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key to on."

Well, that is not good. The bike should make a very distinctive sound when the ignition is turned to the 'on' position.

"The battery reads 12.83v when completely off and 12.52v with the lights on."

How do you get the lights going without the bike running? :oops:
So, apparently the ignition is ON, and the 'start' button is pushed? Or not? When exactly was the 12.52V measured?
The voltage drops from 12.83V to 12.52V with the lights on?
Seems to me the starter isn't doing its thing.

If nothing else, I'd check the starter motor, and or the electrical connection to the starter motor.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I had the starter switch get misaligned on mine last year. Not sure exactly how it happened, but the button you push on the switchgear is separate from the actual button that makes the contacts. Somehow, the switchgear housing (and by extension, the button) rotated far enough that the inner button (and contacts) weren't being closed when I pushed the button. Bump (roll) starting worked just fine. Might be worth taking the switchgear housing apart and trying to push the little button on the inside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts