Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I been thinking about putting nite on my front signals and taillight. What it does it black out the lens but the light still comes though very well.. question is that is for off road use only unless you state allows black covers over your lens. Would you take the risk of getting a ticket for this

stock light

nite shade on lwith bike turn off

nite shade on with the bike turn on

nite shade on with brake on

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't think it's legal to "black out" (Tint) your headlights/signals in any state. But if you just want a blacked out look then...maybe check out this stuff? You put it over your headlights and in the daylight it looks like a solid color (well unless your light is on). I believe this stuff is completely legal, though I wouldn't be suprised if you had to argue that fact with an officer of the law.

http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/HEADLIGHT-MESH/

·
Registered
138 Posts
the thing is, people don't know when too dark is too dark. i can't tell you enough how many times i almost rear end these ricers bc they decided using a whole can on a single tail light is a good idea.

that being said, i really hope you only plan on using a light coat, if any at all. given that youre on a bike and not a cage, i'd try to optimize visibility as much as possible and not hinder any lighting. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the thing is, people don't know when too dark is too dark. i can't tell you enough how many times i almost rear end these ricers bc they decided using a whole can on a single tail light is a good idea.

that being said, i really hope you only plan on using a light coat, if any at all. given that youre on a bike and not a cage, i'd try to optimize visibility as much as possible and not hinder any lighting. just my 2 cents
I used what was recommended on the can. As you can see from the pictures it doesn't hurt the visibility. But if need be I got a spare tail light I can switch it back

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I used what was recommended on the can. As you can see from the pictures it doesn't hurt the visibility. But if need be I got a spare tail light I can switch it back
It DOES hurt visibility. It still isn't as bright as it was when stock. I've seen quite a few bikes that have done this and I can't tell half the time they are hitting their brakes. If you don't pull up behind them prior to them hitting their brakes, the brakes are just a little less bright than OEM running tail light. You wont even know their hitting the brake unless you saw it before they hit their brakes to give you that distinction. Also at night, you can't easily see they were smoked out. Just seems like the guy has a really dim bulb. If your original question is to whether you would see trouble with police, it depends on your area. Although something like this is a pretty easy case for them to make. You're going to get popped for it, it's just a matter of when and not if.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may switch it back to the stock one. I rather be safe then sorry.. going to pull it outside in the sun and check the visibility in the sun.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Personally I'd never do anything to make myself less visible, riding motorcycles is dangerous enough.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
If you get hit. Or go down and a cop sees it; you're at fault. I used to tint tail lights for everyone and I had them sign a disclaimer saying I was not responsible for tickets or accidents.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i think a light coat on the front turn signals would be awesome, i might try and use some smoked plasti-dip (worst comes to worst just peel off) but yeah i would not touch the rear brake light

·
Registered
630 Posts
I don't like the way it looks with nite shade while the break light is off. It doesn't look smoked out, just looks like you colored it in with a permanent marker.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts