Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
First things first - that sounds like a battery issue to me.

Check the battery voltage. It should be over 12.7V before hitting the button. Read it again when you hit the button. You should still see over 10V with the button pushed.

The other possibility (as IronWarrior suggested) is the engine is locked-up. You can check by removing the large round plug on the left engine case and spinning the engine over with a socket/ratchet. I believe you want to spin it counterclockwise - but confirm. If you are not able to spin it over with a reasonable amount of force with a 3/8 dr ratchet, it would suggest there is major engine damage.
Ok so I tried what you suggested I turned it clockwise then hit the starter switch it tried to turn over then there was a loud knock. So what now?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Ok so I tried what you suggested I turned it clockwise then hit the starter switch it tried to turn over then there was a loud knock. So what now?
How did it feel as you turned it over? Was it difficult?

How does it feel now? Did you confirm the direction it rotates?

EDIT: Based on what I've found, it appears that you want to spin the engine counter-clockwise.

Turn the engine over manually counter-clockwise. See if it feels smooth. If it stops abruptly, don't force it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Update I tried starting the bike where the Variator is and nothing I tried going counter clockwise and it wouldn’t move at all I dried a lot of force to do it to it wouldn’t move a muscle. Also I took the clutch plates out and put them back in I tried taking off the variator cover but when I did I got soaked in radiator fluid 😂💀 so I left it alone for today imma try again tomorrow see if I have any luck

·
Registered
540 Posts
Update I tried starting the bike where the Variator is and nothing I tried going counter clockwise and it wouldn’t move at all I dried a lot of force to do it to it wouldn’t move a muscle. Also I took the clutch plates out and put them back in I tried taking off the variator cover but when I did I got soaked in radiator fluid 😂💀 so I left it alone for today imma try again tomorrow see if I have any luck
Hmmm...well, it's not sounding good.

No idea what a "Variator" is tho...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Update I tried starting the bike where the Variator is and nothing I tried going counter clockwise and it wouldn’t move at all I dried a lot of force to do it to it wouldn’t move a muscle.
Sorry to say, but she's sounding more like she's fucked (seized) to me.

·
Registered
540 Posts
At this point, you may need to do some disassembly. I'd start by taking off the valve cover and checking the valves.

If it stops abruptly when you spin it over, there may be a bent valve that is hitting the piston - but that's still kind of unusual.

Check for proper valve clearances, but also watch as you spin the engine over (counterclockwise) with a ratchet to confirm the valves are rising and falling properly.

One other thing would be to drain the oil and see if you find bronze-colored flakes, which would tell you there has been a bearing failure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
At this point, you may need to do some disassembly. I'd start by taking off the valve cover and checking the valves.

If it stops abruptly when you spin it over, there may be a bent valve that is hitting the piston - but that's still kind of unusual.

Check for proper valve clearances, but also watch as you spin the engine over (counterclockwise) with a ratchet to confirm the valves are rising and falling properly.

One other thing would be to drain the oil and see if you find bronze-colored flakes, which would tell you there has been a bearing failure.
[/QUOTE
Oh wow well I’ve seen those flakes when I first let out the oil so that could be the case and bout how do you think it will cost to fix it?

·
Registered
540 Posts
"Oh wow well I’ve seen those flakes when I first let out the oil so that could be the case and bout how do you think it will cost to fix it? "

Most often, replacing the complete engine is the most cost-effective.

You will have to check motorcycle recyclers, salvage yards, and eBay, to get an idea of the cost.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts