Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so a few months ago I stacked the ninja, and just got it back from the repair place (decided handing over what they were asking for was silly [Read: no insurance]).

I have the next three months off riding due to the licence suspension from stacking it, and have decided to use the time to get the Ninja back to working order (and maybe make a few modifications.
The short list of needed repairs is: Forks, LHS handle bar and tyres.

I am definitely going to be putting a set of frame sliders on there, just in case.

So I am looking for advice on how to re-do the bike's appearance, should I buy new fairings, respray the old ones or street fighter it?
I am leaning more toward respraying the existing fairings/making a street fighter(the idea just has a certain appeal to me). I'll be sure to post pictures as i go of any of the mods that I end up doing, plus the finished product :)

Cheers,
7D

PS: My tinkering experience until now has consisted of installing a K&N air filter, full r-77 exhaust install (SS w/ carbon tip) and oil changes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Photos, as requested

As you ask, so shall you receive.. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you're thinking of doing a street-fighter thing, I'm curious if the plastics from the Ninja Z250 will fit the 300. Saw some pics of the Z250 but couldn't find much info on it when I look a little while back. It's a nice looking bike fer sher

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah, if you go street fighter....

I am dying to know how much weight could be stripped off a 300. If you could get the little Ninja down around 300lbs or less, it seems like it would be a real screamer.

-Vorax

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yeah, if you go street fighter....

I am dying to know how much weight could be stripped off a 300. If you could get the little Ninja down around 300lbs or less, it seems like it would be a real screamer.

-Vorax
I doubt just taking the fairings and headlights off a 300 would reduce the weight that much.

·
Registered
419 Posts
As you ask, so shall you receive.. :)
So are your forks bent? It's hard to see. I don't see why you would want to ditch the fairings. The only one that looks broken is the front mudguard. The side panel is scratched but maybe you could paint both sides to match. The bottom two fairings just popped out and don't seem broken. There could be tabs broken here and there on the fairings that would give you some gaps.

It looks like things got pushed back a bit. If you have uneven spacing around your headlights you may need to replace the front bracket that basically houses the headlamps and gives the front fairings something to bolt to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So are your forks bent? It's hard to see. I don't see why you would want to ditch the fairings. The only one that looks broken is the front mudguard. The side panel is scratched but maybe you could paint both sides to match. The bottom two fairings just popped out and don't seem broken. There could be tabs broken here and there on the fairings that would give you some gaps.

It looks like things got pushed back a bit. If you have uneven spacing around your headlights you may need to replace the front bracket that basically houses the headlamps and gives the front fairings something to bolt to.
Gottheneed,

Yeah, the forks are bent. I'm stripping the fairies this afternoon to check out the frame and front subframe, as well as to get a better look at the damage overall.

to answer your question about making it a street fighter; I dunno it just seems like a cool idea, and making the bike my own appeals to me on a certain level. Whether I'll leave the fairings off or just respray them, I haven't quite decided yet.

The shop I took it to wanted to repair the swing arm and bearings, but as of now I cannot see why they wanted to do that. all i can see in that area of the bike is a bent pickup spool bolt.

Cheers,
7D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah I couldn't really see if the forks were bent either. it does look like the front got pushed in some though. I would fix what needs to be done to make it safe and sound to ride and work on the cosmetic stuff yourself. You could buy a fairing kit off eBay I did and it was around $500, or just Plasti dip the ones you have its a lot cheaper and your fairings don't look bad at all.
I would use this as a chance to do some mods, get clip ons, hid kit, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts