Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ninja got laid down, DIY repairs

hey lads, one afternoon last week i was an extraordinary dumbass, i was on the fence about whether or not i was too tired to ride and against my normally better judgement i rode my ninja down to the local shops

having completed my shopping i was approached by some nice old gent. who spent a couple minutes telling me about how he used to race 125s and complemented how magnificent my white 300 looked..

Ecstatically i got back on and started to roll her backwards down the sidewalk mini-ramp towards the road.. i was too focused on getting into a traffic window (and not getting onto the road to begin with) and i picked up a little too much speed whilst turning it and lost balance on the ramp.

Unfortunately my lack of balance coupled with the position of myself and the bike on the ramp meant i could not stop her from slipping away and getting laid out (strained my left tricep and right quad giving it the what for). Thankfully that effort was not in vain because i was able to save a lot of cosmetic damage that could have been.

So now i am faced with repairing the damage. There are 4 areas of impact/damage
-right side mirror (scuffing)
-right side brake (scuffing, otherwise fine)
-right side fairing (minor scuffing, most noticeably at the bottom of the fairing)
-exhaust (hard scratching, took most of the damage)

right side mirror - simple, just going to sand / wetsand down the scuffs till i feel satisfied
right side brake - not really sure, sanding would probably reveal more bare metal and make it more noticeable if i'm not mistaken.. but i am going to replace them (brake and clutch lever) with some shorty's anyway
exhaust - going to replace with aftermarket anyway, not really fussed.

Problem is the right side fairing, I am not so sure about that, the damage is minimal and overall i could leave it be and tolerate it if i HAD to, the last thing i want to do is make it worse. At this point i'm looking to keep it under $100 and i've scoured alot forums and found basically two ways of potentially going about it:

- Hard buffing/polishing
Since the scratches / nicks to the fairing are showing the black plastic underneath the paint i'm not so sure that this would solve the damage, but someone in another thread said he had luck with scratches that i would consider much worse than mine (but amount of scratches =/= ability to buff out, the depth is the issue)

http://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/11-ninja-300-issues-troubleshooting/1347-fairing-scratches-2.html#post20684 - This is the post / thread claiming buffing can have success with the newer paint on 300's

- Wet sanding and painting over with paint Pen

So i've read in a few forums that you can buy factory matched paint from places like colorite or even amazon. And i've also read mixed reviews on whether or not they dried the same, and my concern here is that the paint wont 100% match the tone / stardust of the paint on the fairing. But as for the painting itself it should be a simple wetsand -> base -> paint -> Dry. But if it does work, having the paint for any future nicks would be nice

http://www.colorrite.com/product/kawasaki-25y-pearl-stardust-white-2288.cfm
http://www.colorrite.com/product/1819-base-2289.cfm

So I am creating this post to basically get some opinions of my fellow 300 riders and some experiences they may of had, and let this thread serve as a warning / reference for people with future issues. Having read the other threads i found they didn't have enough information to begin with or proof / results of their work.

That pit in my stomach when i put down my new bike ~700kms.. man what a bummer :( but some lessons have to be learned the hard way and i'm going to be sure not to let it happen again.

I'm uploading pics of the damage and once a course of action has been decided i will update with results / reflections.

*NOTICE* i will not be attempting to fix the exhaust or the brake lever (unless someone can point out an easy/fast brake lever fix). those pictures are just for peoples curiosity.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

http://i.imgur.com/P6pgc3Z.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/i4qJNiA.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OGYXpIC.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/sWaodzb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MWXPwae.jpg

#####################################################################################
UPDATE

Mirror Repair

5 minutes of sanding over the mirror back with 260 / 1200 grit sandpaper and 95% of the scratches were out. Since i wasn't particularly fussed about the rest, i let it be.

http://i.imgur.com/g1nS9ww.jpg

having cleaned the sanded area the plastic was a obvious lighter shade, so i opted to give a quick spray with some black satin enamel and after 2 coats of enamel

http://i.imgur.com/eF8xMEi.jpg - after spray
http://i.imgur.com/uoTULAu.jpg - back on the bike in daylight

I'm content with how it came out.. but i could have spent a little longer on the sanding (you can still see some tiny nicks) but in contrast to the original scratched picture it's a massive improvement

Note: If i were to do it over i would go with a flat black, in strong light the paint does appear glossier, Flat / SATIN seem to be the good choices, if i went for glossy, i might have had to paint the entire back section

Total Cost - $5
Time Consumed ~30 minutes

·
Registered
168 Posts
My opinion, I would say leave the fairing the way it is if it's not too noticeable. What if you drop it again?(hope not) but there are many things we don't want it to happen and it just happen. We can't control it but to only learn and do better ! That's the words I got from my grandpa when I laid down mine brand new at 2miles when I had the kickstand down on dirt spot in my driveway(pavement).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm definitely considering just leaving the fairing as is. But at this point i am most likely going to buy matching factory paint and just see what i can do about them.. just depends on how much the paint will cost and if they (colorrite) can ship to Aus.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Backing a bike up even when you are on it and trying to turn can be difficult. I still do it, but I've been doing it for years. Really short people have the most problem cause on an incline, the road is lower. The safest way is to get on the bike, then back up straight and keep the front brake on and just release it just a little at a time and keep the wheels straight and both feet on the ground with the bike in N. Then stop, turn and go, when you reach flat ground. Turning while backing up, esp. if you do it fast, takes a lot of practice. No reason to do it fast of course. Sorry you dropped the bike, but it is a high-risk move for newer riders.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have seen plenty of people cover over scratches with decals / stickers before today
if the scratches were in one small region i would definately consider that. but the regions i would have to sticker/decal made me decide against that

Little touch ups on the fairing and go!
Seems like the way i'm going to go

Backing a bike up even when you are on it and trying to turn can be difficult. I still do it, but I've been doing it for years. Really short people have the most problem cause on an incline, the road is lower. The safest way is to get on the bike, then back up straight and keep the front brake on and just release it just a little at a time and keep the wheels straight and both feet on the ground with the bike in N. Then stop, turn and go, when you reach flat ground. Turning while backing up, esp. if you do it fast, takes a lot of practice. No reason to do it fast of course. Sorry you dropped the bike, but it is a high-risk move for newer riders.
I've done it before, woulda been fine if i wasn't doing it on an incline trying to hit a traffic window. I was more concerned at the time trying to make sure i wasn't going to be hit on the road. In retrospect i should have just taken the 10-15 seconds to turn the bike and just ride straight out (which i did after the lay down) but it did suck and i won't be doing it again any time soon

Plasti dip the mirrors! it'll be a layer to protect them in the future, as well as cover up the sanding
I had a look, and it seems like an amazing product, i won't be doing it myself this time on just the mirror mainly due to it costing $40 a can out here. but having watched some videos i think it would probably be the best thing you could do

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update 2

sorry it's been so long since OP and i am yet finish what i set out too.

So I've been trying to chase down the correct paint and get someone to ship it to me for a reasonable price so i can clean up the nicks on the fairing, but since i live in Australia its a pain in ass.. At this point i'm considering just leave it be like one of the other members suggested, once i swapped the exhaust off the bike it's even less notable than it originally was.

However while i have been inactive on the forum i did purchase and install a Musarri silencer, and for $170 AUD i didn't have the highest expectations.. But it is actually quite a nice sounding pipe, it looks quite good on the Bike and i have attempted to record the note for you guys but the microphone on my phone doesn't do the pipe justice :(

If you are in the market for a good CHEAP pipe i have to recommend a musarri, provided you install it correctly it fits perfectly (i have seen some people who did it incorrectly and left large gaps between the bracket and the pipe). The only thing i can say i'm not overjoyed about is the backfiring, changing the pipe has resulted in my ex300 developing a chronic backfire.. (only when i drop the throttle really fast) I'm not "bothered" by it, I simply would opt to not have it given a choice.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had a look, and it seems like an amazing product, i won't be doing it myself this time on just the mirror mainly due to it costing $40 a can out here. but having watched some videos i think it would probably be the best thing you could do[/QUOTE].

Autopro stock it now for $21. I ordered from Melbourne before Autopro started selling it and got it for $17
Handy to have.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
sorry it's been so long since OP and i am yet finish what i set out too.

So I've been trying to chase down the correct paint and get someone to ship it to me for a reasonable price so i can clean up the nicks on the fairing, but since i live in Australia its a pain in ass.. At this point i'm considering just leave it be like one of the other members suggested, once i swapped the exhaust off the bike it's even less notable than it originally was.

However while i have been inactive on the forum i did purchase and install a Musarri silencer, and for $170 AUD i didn't have the highest expectations.. But it is actually quite a nice sounding pipe, it looks quite good on the Bike and i have attempted to record the note for you guys but the microphone on my phone doesn't do the pipe justice :(

If you are in the market for a good CHEAP pipe i have to recommend a musarri, provided you install it correctly it fits perfectly (i have seen some people who did it incorrectly and left large gaps between the bracket and the pipe). The only thing i can say i'm not overjoyed about is the backfiring, changing the pipe has resulted in my ex300 developing a chronic backfire.. (only when i drop the throttle really fast) I'm not "bothered" by it, I simply would opt to not have it given a choice.
The Musarri is awesome, had mine on the bike the week after I bought it last year. Great sounding pipe, sounds really nice with the baffle in I thought. Sold it a few months back to another forum member so they could have a bit of fun with it.

The backfire you will get with any slip on or full system on this bike. Yet to hear a Ninja 300 that has replaced the stock exhaust that doesnt have a backfire. Mind you I did notice much more backfire on the Musarri with the baffle out, and a loss of torque too. Put the baffle in if you havent already and give that a buzz.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The Musarri is awesome, had mine on the bike the week after I bought it last year. Great sounding pipe, sounds really nice with the baffle in I thought. Sold it a few months back to another forum member so they could have a bit of fun with it.

The backfire you will get with any slip on or full system on this bike. Yet to hear a Ninja 300 that has replaced the stock exhaust that doesnt have a backfire. Mind you I did notice much more backfire on the Musarri with the baffle out, and a loss of torque too. Put the baffle in if you havent already and give that a buzz.
Hell my ninja with stock exhaust will backfire and bark when I engine brake from high RPM. Nowhere near as frequent as an after market slip-on or full exhaust or as loud but it'll still do it. Hell, I think it's something that every motorcycle does naturally during strong engine deceleration. You don't notice it in cars as much anymore due to the much better quality ECUs able to sample and correct at a much faster rate than a motorcycle ECU is capable of doing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Well i'm glad to hear that it's not a problem local to only Musarri pipes, after i installed it the first thing i did was take the baffle out, but i've also modded some speakers into my helmet to listen to music when i ride, bike was too loud for the speakers to compete haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts