Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Hey All!

Howlinhoss (Jose) here. I am from Silver Spring, Maryland and I work in Alexandria. Weekdays usually do not work well for me since I get back from work between 6-6:30pm. Weekends are my preferred riding days. I do alot of riding starting in Gaithersburg, MD then I take 28 up towards Point of Rocks, then I usually head towards Leesburg or Middletown Maryland. The riding in these areas are great and I would like to show you all this route. Also I would like to try some of the routes you all have in NOVA. Feel free to hit me up anytime.

Lets plan a meet up!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I live in Dale City, work days in Quantico and spend a lot of time in Manassas. Thanks for setting up this local thread.

I'm a former MSF instructor. Taught for 10 years between 1993 and 2003. My two licensed bikes are a 2014 Ninja 300SE/ABS and a 2007 Suzuki GS500F. I ride to work Monday-Friday, don't ride much on Saturday.

On Sunday, it's breakfast at Denny's in Manassas with the Factory Riders club (join us at 8:00 if you wish) and we sometimes go for a ride after that. The club started as a Honda Riders club, so Honda's are most common. Our rides usually work out to 150 miles or so of mostly back roads. If I'm leading and you object to unpaved roads, you must state that before departure. Otherwise, based on the participants, there usually is a short stretch that isn't paved.

This was one of last year's rides. Two 'wings, a VFR800 and my Ninja 250. One 'wing and the VFR two up, the other 'wing and I solo. We did about 5 miles of unpaved road on that ride.

Is anyone interested in a parking lot session (not formal instruction) on Sunday May 18?

A picture of my Ninja 300.

Leon.

I have taken the MSF course but a free informal parking lot session from a former MSF instructor.... Count me in! We should get some of the newer 300 riders to come to this.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
My name is Nick. I live in Leesburg and work at a body shop next to Dulles airport. I usually head west for general cruising. Got "lost" last weekend in the Winchester area and found some amazing roads.

Still have yet to hit Skyline drive or anything out that far though.

I work monday-friday but my weekends are usually free (unless the wife has made plans)

This shot was taken 2 days ago at Idalee park in Leesburg for the Motorcycle Picture Thread here
Skyline is a great ride. Do not speed though as there are lots of car, tourists, and park police. They will hit you with a big fine. It is a great cruise from start to finish with spectacular views.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Ive been down in quite a few times in the car so Ive seen how many cops are out there.

I havnt done it on the bike yet just due to not having anyone to go with me. My wife refuses to ride with me. Her reason is " If you think im putting my big ass way up there on that tiny little piece of vinyl you call a seat, you're crazy"

And just in case she ever comes across this post, I quite like her ass and dont think its big :tongue:
I will go! Weekends are reserved for riding and begging my girlfriend for forgiveness. Cmon people let's ride tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Here is our list of local riders so far.

Howlinhoss
Sonic
Skinnyoddboy
Drew
Leon
Ozion
Flammableliquid
Spinznice
Jaymeza

It will be fun to meet you all and check out your bikes/mods.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Hey all just wanted to see what everyone's schedules look like this Sunday. Is anyone down to meet up and ride? I think the majority of our riders are in Nova so I would be down to meet up in VA.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Earlier the better! Does anyone have a route in mind? I am not to familiar with the roads in NOVA. I think our route with determine the meet point.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Weather looks good, high of 71. Let's ride. If someone knows a route in VA we can plan out meet point accordingly. Or I can suggest a nice route starting in Germantown MD to Middletown MD (north towards Frederick).

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Since no one has stated a definite start for a ride this weekend. I'll invite everyone first. Several of the guys (well two anyway) have asked to do a day of MSF style drills in a parking lot. So here goes.

Sunday May 18 from 9:30 to 1:30 in the parking lot of Osborne Park High School on Liberia Avenue in Manassas VA. I will have a big figure 8 (or oval if there are beginners) a braking exercise, some off set weaves, a couple of 4 ft corners and a set of tight circles. If the parking lot is already taken for a scheduled event, go to the bottom of Conner Drive and read the flyer on the front door of Artisan Autobody. I'll post there if we have to move.

I'm bringing my Ninja 300 and Suzuki GS500. Billy has a CBR600, Kevin has a VFR750. There will probably be a few others. It would be nice if we get a few other riders.

thanks.
See you all there tomorrow. I just looked at the highschool on Google maps. That is a sweet course.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Just read this thread, what's up fellow riders. I'm jessy from ellicot city md. I manage a guitar center but, If I have free time and rides are planned count me in!
Nice bike Jesse! I am in Silver Spring so we are pretty close. We should definitely meet up. We can do some north baltimore rides or you can hit Frederick with me.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Leon,

Thanks again for setting up those drills, I learned more today then I have all year. The figure 8 was a blast and man you are quick! I was watching you closely and I realized that I was doing it all wrong! At first I was only rolling off the throttle before entering the turn but I went faster by going hard on the throttle and hard on the brakes before turning in. The low speed corner was great too. It was alot harder to do on my 300 than it was during the Nighthawks provided during my MSF class. It took me a while to figure out what I needed to do to avoid putting my feed down. I still need ALOT of work on low speed maneuvers. Had a blast today, thanks again and let me know when the next session is. I will be there.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Nice post sonic. I was curious about a couple of these My brother got pulled over for his fender eleminator and when he took off his helmet the cop ticketed him too for him wearing head phones.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Have you guys thought about a Skyline Dr/Blueridge Pkw run one weekend? It's a bit of a ride to get there, but from what I remember from being younger and driving it in a car, it was a pretty sweet ride.
I rode Skyline last September and had a great time. Unfortunately I am busy this weekend but I am down if you plan it!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts