Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would vote for a 636, although this isn't a pole...... The 650 is only like 70hp or less, so I feel like you will still feel the need for an upgrade.

Coming off of a liter bike, and riding a 600, it felt much more like the 300 than it did the 1000

·
Registered
664 Posts
Cheers. From what I've found the power on the 650 is lower down and designed for street whereas the 636 is higher in the range and is a 'real' supersport. Only problem being the additional cost, and I have a gut feeling the 650 would be a better 'everyday' bike....
The 650 is a great every day bike. (I have one.) It's comfy as hell. The riding position is definitely more upright than the 300. I've ridden 350+ in a day and 850+ the next day without the need for any medical attention.

As far as agility, the thing I have a bit of a struggle with is turn in. I have to fight to keep the thing upright, it wants to turn. Lol, in a turn I actually have to push the bike back up because it wants to tip in further. At 450lbs wet, I don't have too much trouble flicking it over. After hairpins my favorite turns are where I have to flick it right then left, like turns 8 and 9 at COTA.

It's also fun on the track. The 600 class bikes will be faster in the straights. The top end on mine is an indicated 131. (GPS that's 127.)

I will say this about the track. My last time out at COTA I took a 636 out for my last session. I was tired, mainly mentally exhausted. The 636 was a full on track bike with slicks and all the go fast bits. I'm level 1 (beginner) the owner of the 636 is a fast level 3 (advanced) rider. I took the 636 out and figured I'd just putt putt putt around the track and stay well within my comfort zone. (I didn't want to wreck some else's bike.) Without trying I was faster on the 636 than I was on my bike when I'm trying. That's the difference.

The 636 is a supersport style with a fairly aggressive riding position. The 650 is a sport/touring style. What make the 650 so good on the street makes it more difficult to ride on the track and what make the 636 so good on the track makes it not so comfortable on the street. One is designed for the street the other is designed for the track.

I am looking for a track bike. If I buy one I'm keeping the 650 for the street.

I've got some videos from my rides posted on my youtube channel. Lime Creek is one of the local twisty roads, and the I've got some Eagles Canyon Raceway footage posted. (COTA footage is on its way ... shortly.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm currently looking at jumping to a 650 as well (from the 300).

It seems like a good conventional bike with way better performance. I hate riding my 300 on the highway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts