Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ninja400Riders.com - The Largest Kawasaki Ninja 400 Enthusiast Forum, Community And Owner's Club

https://kawasaki.com.au/general-kawasaki-news/introducing-the-all-new-2018-kawasaki-z900rs-true-spirit/

With Kawasaki launching the new Z900 based retro bike Z900RS(homage to the Z1 from the 70's), I got thinking what if Kawasaki launched a retro version of the Ninja 400? If the bike looked like the KH/S3 250/400 would there be a market for it?

I would definitely consider it. I think the biggest challenge for Kawasaki would be to keep the quality of the components like pipes, mirrors, chrome, etc. high. Potential customers would be put off if the bike has cheap feeling/looking details.

What do you think?

Regards,
Kaustav

·
Registered
848 Posts
Kawasaki does indeed, offer smaller displacement variant of classic looking naked bike.

It is called Kawasaki Estrella, just like Z900RS, they do offer "Cafe" variant as well.
It is 250cc in Japan, just like Ninja 400 has 250cc engine in Japan, but I'm sure it can be bored/stroked up to 400cc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The bump from 300cc to 400cc was because the Euro 4 emission restrictions. Triumph had to do the same thing with their triple engines - from 675cc to 765cc.

It defies all logic that a smaller engine is being replaced with a bigger, more fuel consuming engine for the sake of being environmentally friendly.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The bump from 300cc to 400cc was because the Euro 4 emission restrictions. Triumph had to do the same thing with their triple engines - from 675cc to 765cc.

It defies all logic that a smaller engine is being replaced with a bigger, more fuel consuming engine for the sake of being environmentally friendly.
I don't understand what you mean.
How does EURO 4 work?

It sounds like you're saying that motorcycle manufactures made bigger engines to pass emission test.

So if 300cc created 10 amount of emissions (for example) and if 400cc created 11 amount, will the 400cc pass the emission test because "it's not too bad for 400cc" ?

Do they measure the emission by emission/displacement? or just total emission regardless of displacement?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I don't understand what you mean.
How does EURO 4 work?

It sounds like you're saying that motorcycle manufactures made bigger engines to pass emission test.

So if 300cc created 10 amount of emissions (for example) and if 400cc created 11 amount, will the 400cc pass the emission test because "it's not too bad for 400cc" ?

Do they measure the emission by emission/displacement? or just total emission regardless of displacement?
At the most basic level, stricter emission norms mean less power, so the manufacturers are compensating by making the engines bigger.

About the 400, I think a 400 twin retro would be more usable in markets like USA over something like the Estrella.

Regards,
Kaustav

P.S.- If they try & squeeze more power, emissions rise. So a bigger engine with a more relaxed state of tune is actually cleaner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts