Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello riders! I've always wanted to know how to install clip ons on a Ninja 300 but I couldn't find any videos. I found some DIY writeups but half of them I couldn't see the pictures and I couldn't register for the site because I live in Canada. They don't accept Canadian postal code!!!! I decided to make a clip on install video and post it on YouTube for others if they need help with how everything comes off :)
Also, Spacep0d on YouTube (He's also here on the forum) helped me out tremendously. I really couldn't have installed them without his help. Thanks Spacep0d!
Here's the video!

·
Registered
463 Posts
nice, thanks for the DIY

·
Registered
490 Posts
Look up wood craft clipons overveiw.its a thread by spacepod.there's a clip there as well.he shows you an easy way to install and takes the bike for a spin and tells you how it feels and thoughts on the bike.he seems to think that its his best mod yet.legendary video.I haven't seen this clip(it could even be the same one) but truth is I'm already sold on the idea of woodcraft clipons.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for the DIY!!! I laughed out loud when you dropped the cover for the OEM bolts in the fairing because I did the same exact thing. I couldn't find it in the fairing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the DIY!!! I laughed out loud when you dropped the cover for the OEM bolts in the fairing because I did the same exact thing. I couldn't find it in the fairing.
I tried looking for it but I couldn't find it :( I think I'm going to replace the bolts with more aesthetic ones. Any idea where I can get it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
N00b question...what is the benefit of clip-ons? I've seen that word in many threads. It's basically a new set of handlebars, no?
From what I understand, it's used to change the riding position and also you can lower or raise the handle bars to your liking with just one allen key.

They also help with cornering and feels much better :) Overall you look and feel better riding your bike!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look up wood craft clipons overveiw.its a thread by spacepod.there's a clip there as well.he shows you an easy way to install and takes the bike for a spin and tells you how it feels and thoughts on the bike.he seems to think that its his best mod yet.legendary video.I haven't seen this clip(it could even be the same one) but truth is I'm already sold on the idea of woodcraft clipons.
Spacepod is awesome! I saw his video :) It doesn't show the process but he explains how to install. I used his video for reference and he guided me through the install by messaging :) Definitely check him out :D

Reactions: Spacep0d

·
Registered
79 Posts
Clip-ons do not fit the SE ABS, do they ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Clip-ons do not fit the SE ABS, do they ?
I have the Ebony/Black ABS and it fits but I don't know about SE. I would assume it will though.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Howdy, glad my install-overview helped. Basically, the install was tricky and I didn't have the patience to film too much during the install, because I stripped a screw on my bar-ends, had to run to Harbor Freight for a philips-head socket, etc., but I did go over a lot of the issues I ran in-to during the install, which itself has some value. For instance, I didn't know the rounded ends of the bars went near the end of the grips because I thought I would be using bar-ends. Wrong! :D

Thanks for the kind words, and glad to see you got it done there, Jin!

P.S. I left this info on your channel too but for the front-stand (in order to install the SSR preload caps) get a stand that lifts by the hole underneath the front of your bike, sometimes called a 'pin' stand. I have one from Woodcraft. You'll need the proper pin (replaceable) which fits into the stand and can lift your bike, or any bike if you order the pin for it.

Here's my video about stands:

Reactions: Skai2

·
Registered
490 Posts
N00b question...what is the benefit of clip-ons? I've seen that word in many threads. It's basically a new set of handlebars, no?
Its a more sporty looking set of handlebars that change your posture slightly and allow you to corner better.I think it works like this:because the bars are fractionally further away,its easy for you to push the bike uprite out of corners becuase your arms are slightly more extended.you will notice that sport bikes have them.(The only thing that they do for show is branding so it must be good for the bike in some way.keep that in mind

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Its a more sporty looking set of handlebars that change your posture slightly and allow you to corner better.I think it works like this:because the bars are fractionally further away,its easy for you to push the bike uprite out of corners becuase your arms are slightly more extended.you will notice that sport bikes have them.(The only thing that they do for show is branding so it must be good for the bike in some way.keep that in mind
Fair assessment, but I think the difference is at least measurable in whole numbers. ;) It's something like an inch lower and two inches more-forward?

Either way, given the design of the bike, this kit offers the most aggressive feel you'll get with clip-ons without interference with the controls.

When you're getting into corners with clipons (vs. stock) you really feel it, but this requires enough corner-speed to notice the difference. For beginners, it won't make much of a difference, although I would recommend learners get used to clipons now if they're planning to 'move up' to a bigger sportbike later. Otherwise, the more-extreme riding-position of a supersport (along with all that power) will be quite shocking.

For me, it made a huge difference. It was actually a matter of me really not liking the 300 in corners (having gotten used to cornering with supersports) vs. loving the 300 in corners. Once the clipons were in-place and I was used to them, I just stopped thinking about the bars and was back to focusing on my technique. Pretty much what I was after.

With the stock bars, I felt like I just didn't have any leverage, or was in a very awkward position when leaned-over. Since I've owned supersports and a superbike, I remember how it was to corner on those things and knew that the 300 should be improved with clipons. Thankfully, it made all the difference.

Those who have seen my video know all of this by now. :D

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
1,343 Posts
Would you recommend it for someone like me who's not planning to ever upgrade from the Ninja (I don't even have it yet. I'm planning to get it when used ones are more common here in NY and it'll be my first ever bike) and will be using the bike just for cruising/commuting? Other than the changed posture, is there any ancillary benefits like less road vibration or what not from bumps, etc.?

·
Registered
146 Posts
You absolutely do not need to take the rubber grip off the throttle side (unless you are swapping out the grips for something different). But good vid, thanks!

Reactions: silvertear

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Would you recommend it for someone like me who's not planning to ever upgrade from the Ninja (I don't even have it yet. I'm planning to get it when used ones are more common here in NY and it'll be my first ever bike) and will be using the bike just for cruising/commuting? Other than the changed posture, is there any ancillary benefits like less road vibration or what not from bumps, etc.?
If you're just cruising/commuting, not really necessary. Also, not necessary until you start picking up corner speed in canyons, if you do a lot of canyon riding. Then, you may or may not feel the limitations of the stock bars. It's the kind of upgrade you'll definitely want to make when the time comes.

Reactions: Ilya

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Howdy, glad my install-overview helped. Basically, the install was tricky and I didn't have the patience to film too much during the install, because I stripped a screw on my bar-ends, had to run to Harbor Freight for a philips-head socket, etc., but I did go over a lot of the issues I ran in-to during the install, which itself has some value. For instance, I didn't know the rounded ends of the bars went near the end of the grips because I thought I would be using bar-ends. Wrong! :D

Thanks for the kind words, and glad to see you got it done there, Jin!

P.S. I left this info on your channel too but for the front-stand (in order to install the SSR preload caps) get a stand that lifts by the hole underneath the front of your bike, sometimes called a 'pin' stand. I have one from Woodcraft. You'll need the proper pin (replaceable) which fits into the stand and can lift your bike, or any bike if you order the pin for it.

Here's my video about stands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOtmjTDsOL4
I am totally going to have to get it!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You absolutely do not need to take the rubber grip off the throttle side (unless you are swapping out the grips for something different). But good vid, thanks!
haha yes! I noticed that after I took the handlebars apart. I wanted to punch myself lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The stock handle bars are more of an upright position so it's easier on your back for prolonged rides. But clip ons give you sportier look and better feel at corners. When you get your ninja, sit and feel the stock handlebars. Then just lean forward a bit more and lower your hands and that's where the clip ons would be. You'll have to decide if it's something you want.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts