Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2014 ninja 300 non abs and once I had it on a battery tender all winter. I come to start it the first time and it was good. But the second time (2 weeks later) it didn't start. I could hear it about to start like always, but then everything would just shut off. So I thought I'd take out the battery and plug it on again to see if it helped. Since it happened multiple times, I realized if I just unplugged my relay box every time and hugged it back in the bike would start. But if it was turned off for too long I would have to unplug the relay box again and so on.

Has anyone had this problem? Is it the ecu recall maybe? Does anyone know a fix for this?

Thanks,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll also add that when this happens, it starts to act weird. Sometimes when I turn the key to off the light signals are lit dimly. And sometimes when I turn the key to on nothing happens at all, so I shake the bike a little and it the lights and stuff turn on but the not the engine. I feel like it might be a wiring issue?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I would start with the basics and check for a bad earth, maybe the first main earth strap to the chassis but after that, rather than shake the bike, just shake the wiring and home in on where the fault lays.

It could even be a sticking relay but sitting cold over the winter might have corroded a connection.

It is just going to be a process of elimination.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, Kingsley. But by earth do you mean a ground? Like for the wiring?

Is there anything online of a schematic or where things are for the bike? Or would it just be in the service manual?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Kingsley. But by earth do you mean a ground? Like for the wiring?

Is there anything online of a schematic or where things are for the bike? Or would it just be in the service manual?
Yes, I mean the ground.

I have the workshop manual so could scan the wiring diagram but that might not help you as it is quite detailed but as you can cure the problem and have it return, it might be a physical inspection and fault as nothing has been disturbed or broken.

The best way is to use a multimeter and press the starter, trace the wiring back until you find voltage but if everything is dead, then tapping or probing the wiring harness from the battery forward, when things start to happen, then you know you are in the right area.

Might take 5 minutes might take a week. If you need the wiring harness scanning, send me a private message and let me know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm posting this for anyone who might have the same problem down the road since I figured it out with the help from kingsley wright. I fiddled around with the components until i figured out where the problem was coming from. I had installed the battery tender cables onto the battery, and tucked it away. I realized it was touching part of the frame and causing the issue I had explained. Once I moved it and tucked into a place I knew was safe, the problem was gone. It's been almost a week now and I've had zero issues.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello guys and I have the same problem but its the abs system dose any one know how or which wires I need to connect together to trick the ecm that the abs is alright I Just put an intire 2013 300 ABS Bike on a 1993 frame and bike was doing great until the ecm decided that no abs no bike!! Lol any input would be great

1 - 7 of 7 Posts