Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i just purchased a Kawasaki Ninja 300, with 40k miles on the bike. I know the mileage is high but i got a really good deal on the bike. I’m having an issue with the front handlebars wobbling when i let go of them. They slowly progress more violently if i leave them without holding on. I had seen other discussions and saw a problem with the stock tyre however the bike has Michelin Pilot street tires on them so i don’t know if that’s the issue. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i also realized today that the bike doesn’t wobble at higher speeds like 130 and upwards

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup earlier today i went on the highway and got up to 80-90mph and it didn’t wobble at those speeds, going to do the balancing next week, hopefully that solves the problem.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Look for any odd wear on the front tire also. Is the front wheel straight when the bars are straight?

Check the alignment of the rear axle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi guys i just purchased a Kawasaki Ninja 300, with 40k miles on the bike. I know the mileage is high but i got a really good deal on the bike. I’m having an issue with the front handlebars wobbling when i let go of them. They slowly progress more violently if i leave them without holding on. I had seen other discussions and saw a problem with the stock tyre however the bike has Michelin Pilot street tires on them so i don’t know if that’s the issue. Any ideas?
That could be a number of things. Has the bike been down? Those things don't have very strong frames. Are the steering head bearings tight? Worn out? The tires? New? Worn? Balanced? Inflated pressure? I've owned 4 of those things and none of them did anything wrong, but I kept them maintained. Eliminate one thing at a time. You'll find the issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i got the front tire balanced today and it is much better but the wobble is still there just not as bad as before, should i go for a new tire or just do the bearings? the current tire still has about 50% life which is why i didn’t change them, they don’t look damaged to me but here is a picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts
If the tire is slightly malformed from production you probably can't spot it visually. Usually that wobble is the head bearing or bad tire.

·
Registered
377 Posts
How old is the tire? It doesn't look that fresh. It is possible the tire is the cause of the wobble.

The production date is on the sidewall in an oval like "2617". The first 2 numbers are the week of the year (26th week) the last are the last digits of the year (2017). If they tire is 4 or 5 years old it's recommended to replace it.

I wouldn't think you need to replace the wheel bearings.

I would refresh your fork oil if you haven't recently. Most likely a 15W fork oil would yield a handling improvement. Under-dampened forks can cause odd handling issues and uneven tire wear that will degrade handling. The stock fork oil is usually too thin, and thins even more over time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Like jkv45 said check the production date of the front tire. If you have a front stand, get the bike on the front stand and spin it. You would need a rear stand also, 😎. By spinning it you can see if the front rim wobbles. Might be a slightly bent front rim. But my guess would be the front tire.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Here's an older thread potentially discussing this very issue:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts