Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
the fuel pump primes and it rides and idles right. when the key is on and the kill switch is on and i try to start it it clicks and buzzes like the same buzz as the fuel pump
That's most likely a battery or charging issue.

You need to read the battery voltage before trying to start it. It should be sitting over 12.7V if fully charged. There are other tests, but that's the first.

New batteries are rarely fully charged.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Load testing is the next step. A battery can show full voltage while sitting, but fall way off under load.

Most people say anything under 10V is too low during cranking. Others say 11. If it's way under that there is a bad cell.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you have 10 to 11V during cranking, and it's still cranking slowly, the next thing to check would be the voltage at the starter.

If the battery is strong, but the voltage is low at the starter, most of the time it's a bad starter relay.

·
Registered
540 Posts
how do i check the starter voltage?
Did the battery check out ok under load?

If so, locate the positive terminal on the starter, and put the red lead on it. Hold the black lead to a bare metal spot or bolt for a good ground. Have someone hit the starter, read the voltage as it's cranking.

It should be just slightly less than what you get directly at the battery while cranking. If it's way less, there is significant resistance between the two or a poor connection. The starter relay is the most common cause.

Cheap aftermarket relays are usually not very good, and cause more problems. A good used OEM relay is a better bet (if a new OEM one is too expensive).

·
Registered
540 Posts
Absolutely a good idea, after locating what you think is the problem, to do some more specific diagnosis before buying parts.

We've all see threads where the person says - "I've replaced this, that, and the other thing - and I still have the same problem!"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts