Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

As a driver and a rider I tend to stick to the speed limits as well as riding in my skill level as a new rider, however I'm curious to know what sort of top speeds people have hit on the 300.

How fast have you all gone? How does the bike feel at speeds of 80+? How does the bike feel on the highways and interstates?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey all,

As a driver and a rider I tend to stick to the speed limits as well as riding in my skill level as a new rider, however I'm curious to know what sort of top speeds people have hit on the 300.

How fast have you all gone? How does the bike feel at speeds of 80+? How does the bike feel on the highways and interstates?
160 to 165 but that was with a tail wind on a downhill all tucked up nicely on the bike.
I think I could hit 170 with the proper road setting (flat,straight, no wind), higher octane fuel and better riding position.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Around an actual 110 MPH max for a stock Ninja 300 if you have the room.

Speedo reading would be higher.

Save your money, the Ninja has low-ish compression and doesn't benefit from higher octane gas. It probably makes more power on Regular (87) than Premium.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I got 118 on the cluster more than once on flat road (track), no wind. The GPS consistently reads 5% less then cluster, so 112 actual.

Rear tire is 160/60.
Full yoshimura, K&N Air filter, PCV
No passenger pegs, no passenger seat, no mirrors.
For the rest, all stock.

150lbs rider (160 with gear?)
Decent tucked position (I guess)
Gas may have been 87, 89 or 91. I don't really feel difference.
Gas tank mid full. (also guessing)

·
Registered
6 Posts
i am 200#'s track i ride has a good size straight i see 101-4 down the front straight in full tuck. 90's sitting straight up.

Mine pretty stable but i have the gsxr rear shock 15 weight fork oil and stiffer springs

·
Super Moderator
2,535 Posts
Hey all,

I’ll just say I can hit in the 90’s on the street and it doesn’t feel much different that 60 mph - bike is still very stable. Here are my mods that come into play:

* No passenger seat or pegs
* Lithium battery
* Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tires 110/140
* Double bubble windscreen
* Leo Vince Corsa GP slip-on (still stock mapping on the ECU)
* K&N air filter
* 1/2 tank of fuel (87 octane - no ethanol)
* tank bag that’s about 5” tall
* Vortex rear sets
* 13T rear sprocket, 43T front sprocket

I can hit that without even trying to get into a full tuck, which is impossible with my tank bag.

The road surface, tire selection, wind speed/direction, and wash from large trucks will impact stability more than the actual speed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey all,

I just completed a 1,500 mile road trip, northern Arizona desert and southern Utah canyons and mountains. Interstate speed limit here is 75, and traffic often rolls around 80-85.

My bike feels very steady and solid, regardless of speed and the amount of stuff I have piled on it. The only time I have encountered any unsteadiness is with high winds or (worse) high gusty crosswinds. Not fun.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have hit 116 on the interstate, full tuck, outside lane, on a slight decline (straight), and the bike felt solid. I got new sprockets (forgot the teeth #) and now i can only hit around 112 but oh well, I like the low range power since I'm in the city most of the time.

* Leo Vince Corsa GP slip-on (still stock mapping on the ECU)
* K&N air filter
I read that running a slip on with a K&N High flow filter will make the bike run lean. Now what I read might be incorrect, but I was just giving you a heads up that it might be a thing. It makes sense, in theory, seeing as how our bikes run a little lean from the factory, and those 2 mods are all about moving air, so idk. Just a thought.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Theoretical maximum for stock gearing and tire size is 201km/h (125mph) at redline in 6th, but good luck actually getting there. I've hit about 185km/h (115mph) [on the speedo, probably closer to 175/180 range actual] and there didn't seem to be much more "go" left in her. If I had a long straight, downhill, with a tailwind might have been able to bump that up a bit.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Theoretical maximum for stock gearing and tire size is 201km/h (125mph) at redline in 6th, but good luck actually getting there. I've hit about 185km/h (115mph) [on the speedo, probably closer to 175/180 range actual] and there didn't seem to be much more "go" left in her. If I had a long straight, downhill, with a tailwind might have been able to bump that up a bit.
Right.

It won't pull redline in top gear. Power peaks around 11,000, and 12,000 is as far as it will pull stock in top gear.

EDIT: This is based on some research I've been doing for a LSR 300 project, and not from actual testing. I'm pretty much past the point where I go that fast on the street anyway.

·
Super Moderator
2,535 Posts
I read that running a slip on with a K&N High flow filter will make the bike run lean. Now what I read might be incorrect, but I was just giving you a heads up that it might be a thing. It makes sense, in theory, seeing as how our bikes run a little lean from the factory, and those 2 mods are all about moving air, so idk. Just a thought.
I've had 0 issues with engine wear - the technician that did my last scheduled service and valve adjustment was in awe of how good my engine looks, especially since he knows how I ride. I've also had the slip-on since I brought the bike home brand new in 2013 and it's always been ridden this way. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm saying this is my personal experience. As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Top speed for me that shows on the speedometer was 119mph. And that's going on a straight way, no hill, with gear and tucked. I also weigh about 133 lbs. And the only mods I've done is added a yoshi slip on, changed the air filter to a k&n and got a vortex chain and sprocket, aside from the regular maintenance of oil changes and regular chain maintenance (adjusting and lubing).

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Ninja 300 has one of the highest rakes in Sportbikes: 27 degrees. I haven't seen anything that comes close: none in the 26 degree range, most in the 25 or less degree range. This makes for a very stable bike at speed. The only bikes that have longer rakes are cruizers: Harley's & look-alikes.
Degrees rake Trail
Ninja 300 27.0 3.9"
ZX-6R 636 23.5 4.0"
ZX-10R 25.0 4.2"
ZX-14 23 .0 3.7"

Harley V-Rod 34.0 5.6"
Yamaha V-Max 29.0 4.7"

Most of this info came f-=rom Wikipedia, so there may be errors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts