Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
I've hit 112 on the 91 in socal, but my weight is 135 lbs, which likely plays a huge factor. I've been impressed with the handling at these speeds if you are able to tuck. I'm only 5' 8" so my frame fits in there really well. If I don't tuck, I've noticed that 80 mph is my limit before the wind factor starts pulling my body backwards and it comes almost necessary to tuck. If you're tucked, you can easily mob around in the 85-90mph range, the aerodynamics of the bike are great.
I assume that must have been very late at night as there's way too much traffic during the day :D

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The more I ride the more I realize I don't care much for top end it's how fast I get there that, makes me go wee

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I don't feel like risking getting caught to try to see how fast I can go. Shame since I'm under 110 lbs. and could probably go pretty fast :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
Somewhere on YouTube there is a review that sounds reputable where the reviewer said the GPS verified speed of the 300r was 103 mph. I know there are all kinds of claims for the 250r, but I think the actual top speed of that is 95.5 mph. I hesitate to mention these numbers because there are people who swear the 250r goes 115 mph.

What is of much more interest to me is what the revs are at an indicated 82 mph which, if the speedometer is about the same as the 250r, is the normal middle-lane commuting speed on I-35 where I live. The 250r was really winding out..too much I felt...and the suspension was kind of squirrely compared to the 650r at that speed. The 6th gear in the 300 should allow you to cruise at a lower RPM...say 9,000 at an indicated 82mph which would be fine and not so hard on the engine. I hear conflicting reports on how the suspension on the 300 has improved. Guess I'll just have to buy one and try it out.
Haha thats my video!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
your weight has nothing to do with top speed. It affects your acceleration but the main factor at those speeds is wind drag. Almost all the energy from the engine will be used to push air out of the way. It doesn't care how much you weigh

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Not if the friction from the contact on the road stayed the same, and it produced the same amount of aerodynamic drag. Of course, if the extra weight affected the aerodynamics, or caused more stress on the tires causing more friction with the road surface, then yea.

Its the same idea as dropping a hollow bowling ball VS a solid one from the same height (really high up) and allow them to hit their terminal velocity (top speed). They will both hit the ground at the same time. Gravity is the same (same acceleration), and the drag is the same, so they accelerate and hit the ground at the same time. The important bit is the terminal velocity in this scenario, which is governed by the drag the object has. A motorcycle is very similar in this sense with the exception of the acceleration, which is limited by the torque of the engine and grip of the tires on the road surface.

EDIT
Note: Weight does affect a vehicles acceleration on the road. If you drag raced a friend, the lighter guy will hit a higher speed over a short race, and beat the heavy guy. Even if they were both enclosed in an identical bubble so they have the same aerodynamic drag. This is assuming neither rider was able to hit the actual bikes top speed.

Similarly, if you were both trying to find the bikes top speed, but the road has limited straight stretches between curves, one guy may be able to hit the real top speed on a straight before breaking, and the other heavier guy will not have hit the same speed. This could make the heavy guy think he is incapable of hitting the top speed of his lighter friend. In reality, he could have if the straightaway was longer. He had a lower rate of acceleration so he couldn't hit the actual top speed given that stretch of straight road.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
On a similar topic:

Imagine I said I had two motorcycles that have the exact same wheel base, coefficient of friction with the road, aerodynamics, rider, and enough braking force to lock the the front tire at will for the duration of the required braking period to bring the bike to a sudden stop. If I said one bike weighed 300 pounds and the other one weighed 1000 pounds, which one will stop sooner if they both threshold braked from 100 Mph?

Answer: They will both stop in the same distance. Madness I tell you, but it is true.

Given: in this scenario, if they had the same break setup, the lighter bike could get away with less powerful brakes. If we put a stock Ninja 300 against one that was magically 600 pounds heavier, the heavy one would overwhelm its brakes when braking at high speeds, you wouldn't be able to lock the tire if you tried, and the braking distance would be much longer due to overheating. Possibly warping of calipers via too much heat.

·
Registered
958 Posts
This is why I prefer to race people going downhill...provided there's no stop sign at the bottom. Not really. I'm 155 lbs. dressed to ride. Exactly right. The big factor in top speed is wind resistence, which shows you the importance of tucking. Even speed skaters, skiers, and bicycle riders do this for the same reason.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Well if you weigh 280 lbs and I weigh 140 (which I do, chemo does that to you), i'm going to go faster than you at top speed. Know why? cause you have more mass and drag than me. Redneck terminology: yer fat azz is bigger than me so you grab more air! LOL, don't think i'm serious or nuthin' just tryin' to tell ya how i'm thinkin' is all.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm suprised nobody has wrung out the little Ninja. Before I sold mine last week, I took it over to the Texas tollway where the legal speed limit is 85 mph, which translates to about 92 on most motorcycles. I found a rabbit...fast car in the passing lane to act as a cop magnet, followed him, and opened it up. At 150 lbs, mine went an indicated 113 mph. It handled fine and was at 12,000 rpms.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had mine pegged at 111 mph several times. Wide open. I weigh 200 lbs.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

41 - 60 of 395 Posts