Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought I’d move away from the Ninja 300, but it’s happened! Myself and the o/h are now the very happy owners of two CBR650F’s in white (pics below).

When we got the N300’s back in 2013 we didn’t think we’d want anything else, the Kawasaki’s were such good fun to ride and easy to manage. However… last October we started looking at bikes, we wanted a bit more power, particularly for long distances, when the Ninja would feel like hard work.

The obvious choice was the Kawasaki ER6F (Ninja 650), but the riding position and feel of the bike was all wrong, the 636 was out as it was too sporty and we didn’t want a naked bike like the Z800. So, we tried lots of other brands, Honda CBF1000F, Triumph Street Triple (mental bike), BMW F800 GT (tractor?), CBR500 and the CBR650F. (More about my experiences of these in this page)

The CBR650 really stood out for us, the seating position and feel of the bike was not too dissimilar to the Ninja, the power deliver was smooth and predictable. The plan was to look at getting a pair of these in 2017, but that didn’t last lol, so we ordered them in May. We had to wait a whole month as there were no new white ones in the UK and luckily we found a dealer that had two coming in on a boat from Honda.

Ninja 300 vs CBR650F

We are still running them in, so we’ve not been going particularly fast, however the power delivery is really smooth (inline 4) and you can ride in a much higher gear, last night I went round a roundabout in 4th gear without any trouble. We’ve not had a 4 cylinder since about 2006 so had forgotten what they are like. Of course there is also more power (I’m looking forward to the break-in period being over :wink2:)

The big difference for me is stability, it feels really planted on the road (secure), when passing a lorry there’s not the same effect of wind against the bike, seams in the road are less of an issue too, which must all be down to the larger back tire (180).

The seat is higher - 810mm vs 785mm - and I wouldn't be able to manage without my Daytona Lady Pilots.

It corners well too, almost effortlessly. It’s an amazing bike and we are both really pleased with them.

The dealer is going to split our Ninjas up, I protested saying that they’d always been together – he said they’re getting divorced :frown2: lol. They’ll keep one and send the other to another dealer in their group. I hope someone enjoys them as much as we did.

Some pics:

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Nice choice! I must admit when i test rode one it was a bit bland, it did everything perfect, but had no personality. It looks good in white. We only have blue and grey in Canada.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Those CBR650's are real lookers. I think they're the nicest looking bike in their class. Lovely build quality, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts