1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
The stock tire approximate specs: 140/70-17 dia 24.72" [email protected] 815.98
150/60-17 24.09 837.32
150/65-17 24.68 817.28
160/60-17 24.56 821.21
So the best "upsize" as far as speedo accuracy is concerned is the 150/65.
Next best is the 160/60 and worst is the 150/60.
All these tires are a little smaller than the stock tire. So I THINK that if your speedo says 60 mph, you would be going a little slower with any of the wider tires.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i believe a 150/70 size tire is the best replacement size. further, i think one of the best replacement tires is what I have installed: Pirelli Angel GT 150/70 Zr17 69v Radial.

·
Registered
58 Posts
+1 150 size in the rear. I like Q3+ tires, and they come in a 150/70/17 variant for the rear, and it performs really nicely. With stock suspension and geometry, lean angle is definitely limited by the pegs, and there is still more tire to use if you get the clearance. When Im hanging off the bike all the way, dragging knee or then if I touch the pegs to the ground, there's still a good ~1cm chicken strip that cant be used on stock suspension. That said, the contact patch and feel you get with the 150 rear and 110 front is really nice.

Havent changed sizes up front, I have found the Q3+ 110/70/17 to be good for me. Again though, with stock geometry, lots of tire goes unused, moreso than the rear, but that's not necessarily an issue. Sometimes at the track I would get the front tire kind of "chattering" off my line, and it would make me run slightly wide in a hard turn, but that's almost certainly suspension setup issues.

The way I use my N300, I can't imagine going back to a 140, I would recommend the 150/110 combo for just about any purpose. Might I ask what kind of riding you intend to do?

-Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, I don't have a lot of tire comparison experience. I bought my '14 bike used with wornout tires. I got a deal on some Shinko E009's, so I bought them. So I have never ridden with stock tires.
They are 120/65 & 160/60. I ride on the street, fairly quickly, but not hard. I'm quite satisfied with the way the bike handles for my usage. I have about 10k miles on them & they are hardly worn. (Advantages of a light bike!)
The diameters are both slightly smaller than stock. I did this because I was concerned with the ABS working correctly. I now think that the ABS is not so sensitive that it will notice such small changes in tire size.
When I replace the tires, I think I will go back to 110/70 on the front and 150/65 or stock on the rear. The problem I see with going up in width is that the stock rims are pretty much minimum width for the stock tires (2.75" & 3.50"). So when wider tires are installed, they are "pinched". So, perhaps narrower in the middle and more verticle on the edges.
The 150/70 is 1/2" taller than stock, so it would raise the rear end a whole 1/4". :) And might make the optimistic speedo a little more accurate.
The wider tires are also heavier, which affects the MOI and makes turning slower. I've heard others refer to it as "flickbility".
The Ninja is my first bike since the 70's. It's certainly quicker in corners than I am!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts