Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have read several threads about different style tires and sizes people have used and wanted to use for this bike. I know it comes with 110 in the front and 140 in the back, at first as I was upgrading the bike I was convinced screw what a lot of people have said im putting the biggest tire that will fit on here and trying it. Well today I was taking a turn, alone, and I felt the front tire slide lightly like it just wasn't grabbing very well, and in that moment I knew then i need tires immediately. I wouldn't say near crash but it scared me and Iv read different tires will stick much better. Saying that I think I want to try a 120 in the front and a 150 in the back, kind of meet in the middle for sizes with the best tires I can buy.. maybe Diablo tires im not sure haven't finished researching the tire itself.

Has anyone tried this configuration? or Maybe stay with 110 in the front and 150 in the back? Honestly I could even give up on my hopes of a larger back tire if someone who has tried it can say it made its turning worse (iv seen pictures of up to 160 in the back, but am not willing to lose performance turning), I love ripping up turns on this thing and I live in the best area for it! So any opinions would be great! I hope to get some answers here because Iv looked all over the web and just find arguments over people saying stay with factory sizing and other people saying it would be better one or even two sizes up. Tonight's my first night as a registered user but i have used this web site as guidance since I got the bike! Pictures of the bike will be uploaded in my profile tomorrow, but its all black with a full exhaust, just got my power commander, air filter, sliders, lights, lots of plasti dip on areas that were not black lol.

Thanks,

Alex
Sandusky Ohio

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would definitely recommend the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tires. The general consensus is that they're the best all around performance street tire for the 300.

I would also stick to the stock tire sizes. You could size up to a 150 rear if you really want to (won't help performance), and I wouldn't mess with the front.

·
Registered
593 Posts
^ I wouldn't agree that they are the "best", there is a lot more choice out there now.

As for the OP's question on tire sizes, you need to ask yourself what you want to accomplish by changing to a different size? There are many good reasons

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK as far as why did I want to increase the size of the rear tire, its immature and simple.. lol I didn't want people to be able to tell a difference between my 300 and larger bikes, at-least I wanted it to look like maybe it is a bigger bike. I upgraded everything i know but the tires to make her run as quickly as possible. But after my initial I want a real FULL BIG sport bike look I rode 1800 miles and have seen the importance and fun in ripping up turns on these back roads so I don't want to lose performance. At one point and time I didn't think I would mind really. So lets say 110 in front, 150 in back (defiantly not 160? lol bummer) and Diablo 2 tires. Ill order it now if someone owns these tires on my bike and can say its a great choice..

Oh and quick response this page is great!

Alex
Sandusky Ohio

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what I got from your answers and some other research im gonna order a new 110 for the front, and a 150 for the back both Diablo Rosso II tires. I should be semi responsible and wait till Friday but we will see, if anyone has last minute tire suggestions hit me up! I would love to hear someone say they bought the best 160 tire they could find and it was awesome but im gonna take little steps, unless i know for sure for sure from someone! Also not stuck on Diablo Rosso II just looks like the best, think theres better, its cool ill buy them instead but im crunched for time now :) cant wait!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
I haven't personally tried a 160 rear so I can't comment on how it would affect the handling, most of the negative comments do come from people that also haven't tried it. Handling will still be fine, perhaps might even tip in better with a 150/60 or 150/70.
The front tyre won't make the bike look any bigger so I'ld stick with the 110 (I have tried a 120 and there were significant downsides to the handling/feedback).
Personally I felt the Diablo Rosso's didn't provide enough feedback and didn't give me as much confidence as other tires. They do last a really long time and can be pushed and maintained at race pace so they have plenty of grip available (much more than you should ever need on the street). My recommendation would be s21's though

With all that being said, if I wanted to make the bike look bigger I'ld go the 160 rear but I would stick with a 110 front. You won't know how (or if) it'll effect the handling until you try it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The Diablo Rosso II is an excellent street/canyon tire. Many 250 track riders have used a 140 Rosso II rear with a 110 Supercorsa front... until Pirelli introduced the 140 Supercorsa. Anyway, If you really want to go fast in the turns you'll want the H-rated version (which now comes in both 140/70 and 150/60) rather than the W-rated version. When Ari Henning tested them he discovered the higher-speed rated version wasn't as sticky as the lower... Bigger isn't always better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHnmukUJ7aQ

I'm running the Bridgestone S20 EVOs currently and they have been great on the street and track. I went with a 140/70 rear, but have no reason to believe it works better than the 150/60. The S21 is available now, but I haven't found any feedback for our sizes. What works best for the heavier, more powerful supersports doesn't necessarily translate to our little bikes.

For primarily track/canyon riding I would try the Bridgestone RS-10, or Pirelli Supercorsa SC. Both are made from a single (very sticky) compound. I'm not sure how they compare to each other. But if you just wanna go fast and don't mind buying new tires more often, either will deliver incredible cornering performance. If anything, the RS-10 rear may be a little finicky in terms of heat management.. i.e. will need careful monitoring of cold/hot PSI to optimize traction and prevent cold/hot tearing. However, both are track-focused which means the optimum grip window is narrower and they would benefit from tire warmers to minimize warm-up time and heat cycling. And they will wear fairly rapidly.

The Dunlop Alpha-13 is in the mix, too. I have heard mostly good things about them. If anything, the front may be a little vague at the limit. This is a multi-compound design, so a little more street-oriented than the RS-10 or Supercorsa.

If I had to rank these in terms of suitability for Street vs Track riding, I'd say:

Street (mileage)
Rosso II (H)
S20 EVO
Alpha-13
RS-10
Supercorsa SC
Track (grip)

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I have read several threads about different style tires and sizes people have used and wanted to use for this bike. I know it comes with 110 in the front and 140 in the back, at first as I was upgrading the bike I was convinced screw what a lot of people have said im putting the biggest tire that will fit on here and trying it. Well today I was taking a turn, alone, and I felt the front tire slide lightly like it just wasn't grabbing very well, and in that moment I knew then i need tires immediately. I wouldn't say near crash but it scared me and Iv read different tires will stick much better. Saying that I think I want to try a 120 in the front and a 150 in the back, kind of meet in the middle for sizes with the best tires I can buy.. maybe Diablo tires im not sure haven't finished researching the tire itself.

Has anyone tried this configuration? or Maybe stay with 110 in the front and 150 in the back? Honestly I could even give up on my hopes of a larger back tire if someone who has tried it can say it made its turning worse (iv seen pictures of up to 160 in the back, but am not willing to lose performance turning), I love ripping up turns on this thing and I live in the best area for it! So any opinions would be great! I hope to get some answers here because Iv looked all over the web and just find arguments over people saying stay with factory sizing and other people saying it would be better one or even two sizes up. Tonight's my first night as a registered user but i have used this web site as guidance since I got the bike! Pictures of the bike will be uploaded in my profile tomorrow, but its all black with a full exhaust, just got my power commander, air filter, sliders, lights, lots of plasti dip on areas that were not black lol.

Thanks,

Alex
Sandusky Ohio
Okay so I've been reading alot on this forum and how people say it would be a downgrade to have a bigger real wheel tire I say it's your bike man do whatever you want to do because I was thinking about going 150 rear as well but I wanted to know if you do go 150 are you going to have to get a bigger rear wheel too? Or will the 150 tire fit on the stock wheel??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Okay so I've been reading alot on this forum and how people say it would be a downgrade to have a bigger real wheel tire I say it's your bike man do whatever you want to do because I was thinking about going 150 rear as well but I wanted to know if you do go 150 are you going to have to get a bigger rear wheel too? Or will the 150 tire fit on the stock wheel??
I just bought a ninja 300 2015 .. 13k miles 800 bucks it has the 150. rear tire. and stock front tire. I never seen the stock rear. but I think the 150 is a nice touch. It looks great on the bike. does it help handling idk. its balled and I have rode is 5mile. hahaha it's time for new tires that's why I'm here . fixing g to drop coun in this bike.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I just bought a ninja 300 2015 .. 13k miles 800 bucks it has the 150. rear tire. and stock front tire. I never seen the stock rear. but I think the 150 is a nice touch. It looks great on the bike. does it help handling idk. its balled and I have rode is 5mile. hahaha it's time for new tires that's why I'm here . fixing g to drop coun in this bike.
Nice buy (for 800!!).
My 2017 300 Winter Test Edition came with 150 wide rears, but sadly they are already close to bald! :)

BTW, you are replying to a 4 year-old thread. Most (all?) people in this thread are likely not even active members anymore.
Most on here stay for a couple of years, then move on, sadly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts