Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago had my bike serviced after which the bike only started in neutral. A week or so ago I began having issues with starting the bike
I replaced the battery as it was 8 yrs old
Still starts first time sometimes others after 5 attempts this afternoon took 5 minutes to get started
Started first time after a quick ride
Any ideas?

·
Registered
417 Posts
A few months ago had my bike serviced after which the bike only started in neutral. A week or so ago I began having issues with starting the bike
I replaced the battery as it was 8 yrs old
Still starts first time sometimes others after 5 attempts this afternoon took 5 minutes to get started
Started first time after a quick ride
Any ideas?
Is the fuel fresh? Have you checked the condition or serviced the air filter recently?

Have the Throttle Bodies been synced?

A couple simple things you can try would be adding a fuel system cleaner and slightly opening the throttle as you are cranking if it doesn't fire immediately.

Also confirm that the battery is fully charged (12.7V or more) before starting. A low or weak battery can give you issues. A newer battery can still fail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate
Battery is good and fuel fresh I do a lot of kms
Will check air filter
Any idea why can no longer start in gear though?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Any idea why can no longer start in gear though?
The question is NOT "why can I no longer start in gear?", but "why was I able to start in gear before?".
These bikes have a neutral switch, preventing them from being started in anything other than neutral.

I commend your mechanics you go to, to have it serviced, because they obviously know what they're doing! ;)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Cool and thank you wasn’t aware
No worries. (y)(y)
I'm impressed that your mechanic caught that. Maybe he/she saw a disconnected neutral switch? i doubt it's really something a mechanic around these parts would even notice, sadly.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The question is NOT "why can I no longer start in gear?", but "why was I able to start in gear before?".
These bikes have a neutral switch, preventing them from being started in anything other than neutral.

I commend your mechanics you go to, to have it serviced, because they obviously know what they're doing! ;)
Isn't the 300 able to be started in-gear with the clutch in? I assumed they would (I don't have one, never did...) - like if you stalled it in traffic - you'd want to be able to just pull the clutch in and hit the button. Most will do that.

My SV always requires the clutch to be in to start - neutral or not.

I'd check the clutch safety switch if it should start in gear with the clutch in.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Nope, at least not mine (just checked).
Maybe you're thinking Triumph? They NEED the clutch pulled to start.
My SV650 requires the clutch pulled in to start as well.

It would seem odd that the 300 would need to be in neutral to start. I'm mostly thinking about a scenario like stalling it at a stop light and needing to find neutral instead of just pulling in the clutch to restart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts