Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 866 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had it happen twice in 1400 km's,, once with the stock exhaust and once with Two bros slip on. Both times happened within 200 meters of taking off for the first time for the day...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Add two more times today to that!!! :/

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had the same experience. This was way after my first service so it was already broken in. I was cursing on the street and all arriving on a stop, but had a good amount of stretch to go so as I was starting to brake and down shift it stalled as well. But while rolling I had the clutch in and started it right back up to reach my stopping point. I thought I had done something wrong, but as I see its something happening to alot of owners. It only has happen once to me.

Oh and I don't think it's a cold start because I was already riding for a few miles when it happens. Hopefully they have a solution at Kawasaki.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a date with the Dyno next Saturday, so if we don't hear any 'official' news on the subject I plan to see what my local tuner can find when we give it a run. His Factory Pro dynamometer has a five-gas analyzer which should tell us what the motor's doing in detail.

I'll post the results and any insight we can learn next week.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Strange...

...I thought I could edit my old posts. It must be a temporary window...

At any rate, my dyno session got postponed a week, so I'll update everyone this coming weekend with any useful information.

Reactions: AMERICOS187

·
Registered
21 Posts
I hope this does not happen to my bike. Doesn't sound hard to fix and I don't think warranty will cover it because it sounds like a common thing so I'm guessing a recall. I wonder if anyone has had the problem then installed a power commander to fix it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well, since you asked...

I hope this does not happen to my bike. Doesn't sound hard to fix and I don't think warranty will cover it because it sounds like a common thing so I'm guessing a recall. I wonder if anyone has had the problem then installed a power commander to fix it?
I actually just got my PCV a couple days ago, installed it last night and rode it to work and back today.

It's running the map included which is for a stock air filter and exhaust and I definitely notice an improvement in the mid range and I haven't had it stall on me when engine-braking to a stop yet, but I've got to ride it more to see if it is really helping this issue at all.

Unfortunately, I now have an ABS fault that won't clear. So, my next step is to pop the PCV connections and see if that's causing it or if I did something to the ABS, which I doubt, since I've done this type of work many times before, didn't really touch the ABS and I didn't rush the job.

The drama continues...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I actually just got my PCV a couple days ago, installed it last night and rode it to work and back today.

It's running the map included which is for a stock air filter and exhaust and I definitely notice an improvement in the mid range and I haven't had it stall on me when engine-braking to a stop yet, but I've got to ride it more to see if it is really helping this issue at all.

Unfortunately, I now have an ABS fault that won't clear. So, my next step is to pop the PCV connections and see if that's causing it or if I did something to the ABS, which I doubt, since I've done this type of work many times before, didn't really touch the ABS and I didn't rush the job.

The drama continues...
I don't know a lot about a PCV unfortionatly. I mean I know how it works but I've never seen one so I wouldn't know how to ajust it or anything. I hope it doesn't effect my ABS. How would I know if it does...?

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
happened to me twice today. both times the bike was cold, i got to a stop sign and while downshifting and coasting the engine died two seperate times in the day...

:\

How cold was the bike?

Stalling has been a real issue for many small bore FI bikes, especially singles. The super lean EPA mandated emission maps don't help. My opinion, the engines don't have the crank/spinning mass of bigger engines which helps keep them running when dropping to idle. Colder air just makes the bike even more lean.

I had mine stall a few times, mostly coming off very high RPMs and dropping gears to a fast stop in hard braking. Since my tune it hasn't happened, but it was so infrequent I'd not call it regular and my tune might not prevent it at some ppoint, but I think this is where the problem and solution lies. This is what happens when politicians dictate performance/emissions parameters.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't know a lot about a PCV unfortionatly. I mean I know how it works but I've never seen one so I wouldn't know how to ajust it or anything. I hope it doesn't effect my ABS. How would I know if it does...?
After I installed it the ABS light didn't extinguish after it rolled a bit after starting it up. Stays on continuously.

After my date with the dyno I'm going to spend some time popping the connections back to stock and see if that puts it back to normal. Outside of that it may have have been something I did, but since I've done this several times before on other bikes I'm fairly careful and can't think of what I may have done to screw it up. Also, the ABS system isn't directly affected by the wiring harness of the PCV, but it could be indirectly. At this point it's all just guesswork. Need more time away from work and in the garage...

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've fallen victim to the stall...

Happened 3 times. All were coming to a stop from 25 mph and clutch was in. I let the bike run for about 5 min before I left work (cigarette). Then I was on the freeway for 30 miles. Once I was back to city traffic it didn't happen again.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Happened to me yesterday. Going into a left turn, second gear, bike was around 3000 - 3500 RPMs, engine stalled and next thing I knew, I was moving out of the way for traffic to get by.

First thing I thought was, "Wow, my music is loud. I can't hear the bike at all."

Started up just fine after that.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My bike hasn't ever come close to stalling. But it's very common with string out engines. My 700xx will randomly stall when letting of the gas while holding the clutch. Best thing to do, clutch it and start her up, keep on going.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
One of my stalls happened after a 15 mile highway trip. The temperature was slightly below freezing. What is everyone running for idle speed? Mine appears to be at least a bit temperature dependent. Other than that, I was slowing down, slight downhill, 3rd, clutch in and shifting down. Other stalls were similar.

·
Registered
9 Posts
One of my stalls happened after a 15 mile highway trip. The temperature was slightly below freezing. What is everyone running for idle speed? Mine appears to be at least a bit temperature dependent. Other than that, I was slowing down, slight downhill, 3rd, clutch in and shifting down. Other stalls were similar.
Yup, almost exactly the same for me, four times so far. Always when I'm headed downhill.

·
Registered
75 Posts
TO OLD 3

RE: Engine Stall and Tuning:
I was just wondering how that you Tuned your 300? Are you using a PCV? And if so, did you get a Custom Map? And what are you running as far as an exhaust? And after you did this tune, are you experiencing any stalls or erratic Idling at all. Or more or less did this tune "cure the Issue of Engine stalling". I was just asking because my 300 is in the Shop here at Action Powersports and they are keeping it for about 3 weeks to ride and evaluate this problem of stalling and the erratic Idle issue. My 300 is not really that bad, but it does it from time to time and it idles down to 1000 RPMS then it goes back to 1500 after a couple of seconds when at a Stop Sign. But if a PC5 and perhaps a K&N High Flow filter and perhaps a good Map Tune with an excellent Tuner. Just hope that this will cure the Lean and the Glitch Problems. Just wondering about what you did exactly with yours.

Thanks Ninja 300 Stealth

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bone stock, two months old, 1100 miles. Other than the prescribed maintenance and fiddling with the idle speed, nothing has been done to the bike. Idle is steady, by the way, and never does the up and down thing. Of course, mine doesn't idle all that much...

TO OLD 3

RE: Engine Stall and Tuning:
I was just wondering how that you Tuned your 300? Are you using a PCV? And if so, did you get a Custom Map? And what are you running as far as an exhaust? And after you did this tune, are you experiencing any stalls or erratic Idling at all. Or more or less did this tune "cure the Issue of Engine stalling". I was just asking because my 300 is in the Shop here at Action Powersports and they are keeping it for about 3 weeks to ride and evaluate this problem of stalling and the erratic Idle issue. My 300 is not really that bad, but it does it from time to time and it idles down to 1000 RPMS then it goes back to 1500 after a couple of seconds when at a Stop Sign. But if a PC5 and perhaps a K&N High Flow filter and perhaps a good Map Tune with an excellent Tuner. Just hope that this will cure the Lean and the Glitch Problems. Just wondering about what you did exactly with yours.

Thanks Ninja 300 Stealth

21 - 40 of 866 Posts