Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
The main thing is, sliders are there not to protect your bodywork, but the frame/engine of the bike. So, if the sliders are creating more leverage for the impact forces which transmit to your bike, they become a liability rather than protection.

I think Woodcraft is going the right direction here with the underbody stuff. Short bolts, less leverage, better protection, and no drilling holes in your fairings. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey guys, im in a similar boat. my daughter just purchased a ninja 300 herself and we're on the search for extra protection pieces. i've scrolled through this thread and found some great ideas. any highly recommended parts to get?

·
Registered
309 Posts
hey guys, im in a similar boat. my daughter just purchased a ninja 300 herself and we're on the search for extra protection pieces. i've scrolled through this thread and found some great ideas. any highly recommended parts to get?
Personal protection is a lot more important than protection for the cycle.

Does she have all the gear, and wear it all the time? Biggest mistakes (from at least partially protected riders) I see on the road are no gloves or no riding boots.

Has she taken any type of riding course?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Personal protection is a lot more important than protection for the cycle.

Does she have all the gear, and wear it all the time? Biggest mistakes (from at least partially protected riders) I see on the road are no gloves or no riding boots.

Has she taken any type of riding course?
yeah shes taken courses. but she has boots and a helmet no gloves yet. any suggestions? any gear suggestions in general?

·
Registered
309 Posts
yeah shes taken courses. but she has boots and a helmet no gloves yet. any suggestions? any gear suggestions in general?
Any gloves are better than nothing.

I have some AlpineStars GPs that are fine, but there are plenty of good choices. Search for some reviews if you are buying new. Rider's Discount gives forum members a significant discount if you contact them through a forum PM.

I don't care for some of the cheap gear like BILT. I've purchased many high quality items used on CL for cheap. It's always worth a look.

Used name brand gear is better than new cheapo.

·
Registered
407 Posts

Getting gear EARLY on is a good idea, as she won't get used to riding without it for too long. There's a danger in riding around without all the gear from the start, as it sort of gives a false sense of appropriateness: "Well, I was okay riding for the first 6 months without decent gloves, proper jacket and motorcycle pants. Why should I bother now?"

Try and instill ATGATT in her EARLY on!

ATGATT = All The Gear All The Time

·
Super Moderator
2,501 Posts
Gear Chic (aka Joanne Donn, who now works for Revzilla) is an exceptional source of information on all women's gear.

http://www.gearchic.com/gear-101

Ideally, no one should ride with anything less than ATGATT, but I know it happens more often than not. She needs to get used to wearing gloves. The alternative is not a pretty sight. I also recommend an armored jacket and pants. I have both Dainese and Alpinestars leather gloves. I find I reach for my A*'s 95% of the time because they're more comfortable for me. Everyone is different, so she'll need to find what's best for her. For jacket & pants, I always seem to go for my Olympia Expedition jacket, unless I'm up for serious shenanigans, and then I grab my A*'s leather jacket. Pants, I'm about 60/30/10 on - 60% of the time I grab my Bull-It jeans. They're covec, which is substantially better protection and more comfortable than kevlar. 30% of the time I grab my Olympia Expedition overpants, and the remaining 10% of the time I'll wear my Rev'It leather pants.

Just remember, while gear is expensive, it's a lot less than skin grafts and hospital bills. I'll close with this: road rash heals, but the scars and mental damage - that lasts a lifetime. Let Brittany's story be a lesson and reminder for us all - Rock The Gear each and every ride.

http://www.rockthegear.org/

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm a firm believer that anyone riding without full gear is in denial of what really happens when you part ways with your cycle at speed.

Once you've done it you know.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'll add another vote for full gear asap. Road rash sucks and can happen as surprisingly low speeds. Denim is essentially false security. Helmet, gloves, armored jacket, motorcycle shoes and Kevlar lined jeans at a minimum.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts