Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend (fiancé) is ready to ride and we are picking up here new Ninja 300 next week. I would like to add some protection to her new ride, in the event of a slow speed topple or the bike decides to take a quick nap at a stop sign, intersection, or similar.

I see RevZilla has a Shogun Ninja Protection kit available on their website with frame sliders, bar ends, and swing arm spools. Is this a decent kit?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shogun-protection-kit-kawasaki-ninja-300-2013-2014

I did some searching within the forums and see the Yoshi sliders are a popular option. Would it be beneficial to purchase the Yoshi sliders, and purchase the swing arm spools and bar ends separately?

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated, I would like to order this stuff ASAP so I have it on hand to install when we get the bike next week. Looking for the best protection available, so I'm open to all suggestions.

Also, if anyone has any experience or recommendations with lowering kits, that info would also be appreciated!

Thanks. Looking forward to hanging around this place, I see allot of info posted here that will be very helpful with maintenance, mods, etc.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Shogun is a pretty common brand and this kit would probably do well. Be aware that the Yoshi sliders require you to cut the fairings. Depending on how long you are planning on keeping the bike, cutting the fairings may not be what you want to do. Also, if you're getting an ABS model, make sure you get frame sliders that fit the ABS model. I have ABS; I had a hard time finding one's that fit the model and one's that didn't require the fairings be cut.

I think that kit would hold up fine and save the bike for the most part in the event of a spill. It really depends on what you want. Do you like the all black? Or do you want bar ends or spools with a little more pizzaz? On the other hand, buying them all in one shot would be more convenient and you would save some on shipping costs. One of the reasons why Revzilla is awesome. Over $40, free shipping!

:2cents:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
For frame sliders. You can't go wrong with woodcrafts. I've crashed on Shogun and other cheap sliders and they just broke right off or the bolt bent. Woodcrafts are strong and never had issues with the plastic piece breaking off or bolt bending.

For the swingarm spools. This is just me and my 2cents but I don't think those protect the swing-arm at all. It helps to get the rear up the stand but in my experience, those things broke right off requiring me to use an extractor to get the rest of it off the swingarm.

Here is a pic of my bike after a mishap at turn 5 @ WSIR. Look at those frame sliders. They stayed in tact. I don't know about the rest of the bike though. LOL

I think I managed to unscrew the remaining thread of the spool but that thing broke right off.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm thinking the destruction from turn 5 @ WSIR is a little overkill for a new rider looking for protection from slow speed topples...

However, I think it does say something about the quality of Woodcraft products.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I'm thinking the destruction from turn 5 @ WSIR is a little overkill for a new rider looking for protection from slow speed topples...

However, I think it does say something about the quality of Woodcraft products.
Right, that's what I was trying to get at. The woodcraft survived. Shogun and the other cheapies would've bent or the plastic piece would've snapped off.

Another thing and this is from experience, I don't know what low speed is to some people but 35mph low side on a lefty in Malibu bent the bolt on a shogun slider. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Oggy Knobs, excellent no cut product. Easy install as long as you can get the fairings off. A little pricey, but you can get them cheaper than retail off of ebay direct from Oggy. If you buy from their site, they are a bit more expensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about bar ends? Are there any over sized ones out there that might offer some protection in the event of a drop?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
So i'm setting my 300 up for the gf as well. She is taking her msf in august

Check these out:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/driven-racing-axle-block-sliders-kawasaki-ninja-250r300?utm_source=product&kwd=&gclid=CjgKEAjwt4-dBRCDnaTUn-mC_0oSJAC4Q6kGB1ghTCJqLuJH_wB5aQNOpbUeAAYO8hdUoxt21NzV5_D_BwE

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shogun-frame-sliders-kawasaki-ninja-300-2013-2014?utm_source=product&kwd=&gclid=CjgKEAjwt4-dBRCDnaTUn-mC_0oSJAC4Q6kGohswGeCVHYWiSuONKHj0atDIAOqVHHDZsEYRQwVgp_D_BwE

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/r-g-front-axle-sliders-protectors-for-kawasaki-ninja-300-250-13

http://japan.webike.net/products/9650821.html

For the handle bar, just get the ones that you want to swap out when it gets damage. I find that the handle bar doesnt really matter as far as sliders go.

The frame slider is all thats going to save the bike at low speed and nothing really can save the bike at high speed.

I'm stripping the fairings off of the 300 for her. I'll put them back on when i feel shes more comfortable on the bike.

I have the yoshi but I think i read that one of the forum members said the yoshi wont hold up in a high speed crash.

Everyone likes the oggy knob but i havnt read any crash test results from it.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
For frame sliders. You can't go wrong with woodcrafts. I've crashed on Shogun and other cheap sliders and they just broke right off or the bolt bent. Woodcrafts are strong and never had issues with the plastic piece breaking off or bolt bending.

For the swingarm spools. This is just me and my 2cents but I don't think those protect the swing-arm at all. It helps to get the rear up the stand but in my experience, those things broke right off requiring me to use an extractor to get the rest of it off the swingarm.

Here is a pic of my bike after a mishap at turn 5 @ WSIR. Look at those frame sliders. They stayed in tact. I don't know about the rest of the bike though. LOL

You want protective bits of bikes and cars to break off in strong impacts. When they break off, they take with it a lot of energy with them that you don't have to worry about the frame or engine mounts taking instead. The woodcrafts staying on could mean the energy those sliders absorbed got dumped straight into the engine mounts and maybe tweaked or damaged the frame. Although with the rest of the damage, looks like it was a total either way. A good, high quality slider, will shear when they take too much of an impact or get caught up. You don't want to bend the bolt and you don't want that energy to dissipate into the frame and engine mounts. It's the same way formula 1 and even NASCAR bodies are designed. The skin is designed to either crumple or the fiberglass/carbon fiber is laid in such a way as to shatter and break off in a hard impact. The pieces that fly off absorb and take with it a lot of the impact energy that doesn't get dumped back into the rest of the craft. It why these vehicles can hit something at 200+ mph and look like nothing more than a cage with a seat in it and the driver is fine. The parts crumpling and bits flying off take and shed energy so the driver doesn't have to.

On a motorcycle you aren't worried as much for the rider as weird as that sounds. The rider is becoming a projectile regardless, you're goal is to design the protection system to save the frame and engine as much as possible. The body work usually does a good job absorbing and shedding energy similar to composite fibers. Which is why motorcycle bodywork generally breaks off into pieces instead of long splits like other common hard plastics do. The body work is designed to absorb energy then break off and take that energy with it in an attempt to salvage the frame. The rider though is generally boned and really has to rely on gear and a lot of luck. Good luck out there and take it easy on those turns there Warning.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I understand what you are saying but are we talking about sliders? Like frame sliders and crank case covers with sliders? Cars and motorcycles crash differently. When you low side, the bike just slides. When I was racing, most of the racers had woodcraft sliders, clipons, even crank case cover. No one worried about impact absorption because when motorcycles crash, the bike either slides or tumbles, in that case, the bodywork absorbs the energy. Never have I seen direct impact on a slider, like getting our rear bumper hit from the back. :biggrin: The R6 was checked with no frame damage.

Another thing, when you install frame sliders, they are typically installed through one of the motor mounts. When the slider bolt bends, They sometimes screw up the thread on the engine mount. Just sayin' from past experience.

Thanks FreeLancer. Trying to do too much on stock suspension is not cool. Guess what my first mod was to the N300? Suspension upgrade. :biggrin:

You want protective bits of bikes and cars to break off in strong impacts. When they break off, they take with it a lot of energy with them that you don't have to worry about the frame or engine mounts taking instead. The woodcrafts staying on could mean the energy those sliders absorbed got dumped straight into the engine mounts and maybe tweaked or damaged the frame. Although with the rest of the damage, looks like it was a total either way. A good, high quality slider, will shear when they take too much of an impact or get caught up. You don't want to bend the bolt and you don't want that energy to dissipate into the frame and engine mounts. It's the same way formula 1 and even NASCAR bodies are designed. The skin is designed to either crumple or the fiberglass/carbon fiber is laid in such a way as to shatter and break off in a hard impact. The pieces that fly off absorb and take with it a lot of the impact energy that doesn't get dumped back into the rest of the craft. It why these vehicles can hit something at 200+ mph and look like nothing more than a cage with a seat in it and the driver is fine. The parts crumpling and bits flying off take and shed energy so the driver doesn't have to.

On a motorcycle you aren't worried as much for the rider as weird as that sounds. The rider is becoming a projectile regardless, you're goal is to design the protection system to save the frame and engine as much as possible. The body work usually does a good job absorbing and shedding energy similar to composite fibers. Which is why motorcycle bodywork generally breaks off into pieces instead of long splits like other common hard plastics do. The body work is designed to absorb energy then break off and take that energy with it in an attempt to salvage the frame. The rider though is generally boned and really has to rely on gear and a lot of luck. Good luck out there and take it easy on those turns there Warning.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I understand what you are saying but are we talking about sliders? Like frame sliders and crank case covers with sliders? Cars and motorcycles crash differently. When you low side, the bike just slides. When I was racing, most of the racers had woodcraft sliders, clipons, even crank case cover. No one worried about impact absorption because when motorcycles crash, the bike either slides or tumbles, in that case, the bodywork absorbs the energy. Never have I seen direct impact on a slider, like getting our rear bumper hit from the back. The R6 was revived 3 times, 2 high sides and 1 low side, checked with no frame damage.

Another thing, when you install frame sliders, they are typically installed through one of the motor mounts. When the slider bolt bends, They sometimes screw up the thread on the engine mount. Just sayin'. Just an experience from my brother in laws bike.
If it tumbles and lands directly on the slider, you want that slider to break off. It happens pretty often. The most common one though is if it's sliding at high speed, you want the slider to shear if it catches a lip. Bent or damaged motor mounts are something you really want to avoid. I've seen some cracked motor mounts due to the bolt being a little too tenacious and putting too much force on mounts when the sliders in question caught on a lip while the bike was sliding along at 60ish mph. Unfortunately the threads did not strip out. At least that would be been repairable.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
If it tumbles and lands directly on the slider, you want that slider to break off. It happens pretty often. The most common one though is if it's sliding at high speed, you want the slider to shear if it catches a lip. Bent or damaged motor mounts are something you really want to avoid. I've seen some cracked motor mounts due to the bolt being a little too tenacious and putting too much force on mounts when the sliders in question caught on a lip while the bike was sliding along at 60ish mph. Unfortunately the threads did not strip out. At least that would be been repairable.
Never seen it before and I used to ride with a lot of crasher, but I'll take your word for it. :eek:k:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will you have your fiancé protected first? Lol
Absolutely, Shoei helmet, two piece leather suit, riding boots and gloves. Have been using it for years.

She has been riding off and on for a few years but has gotten away from it the past two summers as she finds her 2008 Ninja 500 has been an awkward fit for her. We are dumping the 500 now and going with the 300. Really I'm just looking for some protection for the fairings in the event of a topple at a stop sign, or a stall and drop from an intersection, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Woodcraft has a whole new underbody slider now, and it should be easier to install than some of the sliders which require removing engine bolts (pain in the buttocks). But, the new Woodcraft designs are said to reduce the stress on the frame due to long bolts creating tremendous leverage in a crash. As Freelancer noted though, this is why a bolt that breaks is better than one that doesn't. Woodcraft is taking this principle to the next step.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Quick question for free and space. When have you ever seen a high side tumble where the impact was on the frame slider because I haven't. Well when it finally stops and it lands on its side but that's not a very high impact. From my experience and seing people crash, a high side impact is on the wheels, subframes, body plastics, visor, fairing stay, forks, tank. Never have I seen a tumble impact on a frame slider.

I still choose the strong, short and stubby woodcraft frame slider than the longer shoguns anyday on a low side. When the plastic piece of the cheapies slider brakes off, you are sliding on the bolt. Again, I speak on experience.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Quick question for free and space. When have you ever seen a high side tumble where the impact was on the frame slider because I haven't. Well when it finally stops and it lands on its side but that's not a very high impact. From my experience and seing people crash, a high side impact is on the wheels, subframes, body plastics, visor, fairing stay, forks, tank. Never have I seen a tumble impact on a frame slider.

I still choose the strong, short and stubby woodcraft frame slider than the longer shoguns anyday on a low side. When the plastic piece of the cheapies slider brakes off, you are sliding on the bolt. Again, I speak on experience.
A guy I knew took a turn too fast and locked the rear. As the rear was now going faster than the front, the rear quickly caught up to the front. He freaked out and let go of the rear brake. The rear caught and high sided and flipped right over onto the aide. Destroying the clip ons and slamming right onto the frame slider where the bike then rolled and flipped a few times. Each time landing on its side. The engine mounts were fractured and bent to hell. Bike was totaled.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
A guy I knew took a turn too fast and locked the rear. As the rear was now going faster than the front, the rear quickly caught up to the front. He freaked out and let go of the rear brake. The rear caught and high sided and flipped right over onto the aide. Destroying the clip ons and slamming right onto the frame slider where the bike then rolled and flipped a few times. Each time landing on its side. The engine mounts were fractured and bent to hell. Bike was totaled.
A situation like this, even brittle sliders might dent into the frame. Any flip bike smashing onto the ground will have crack everything and force everything to be smashed in. For sliders i like them solid so they can slide the bike and not attempt to slide the bike but instead falls off because it doesnt hold up. The sliders that don't hold up and eat into the frame by entering inwards when it suppose to slide is even worst.

I think i'm going to look into the woodcraft sliders.

·
Banned
613 Posts
I think theres going to be times when your fucked with frame sliders, and your fucked without.

For a lowside on the streets I think frame sliders work. A highside its a 50/50 chance. On the track I'm thinking framsliders arn't the best option. Everytime I have crashed and the bike slid off track It's flipped.

Can't protect it for every situation I guess.

so I guess crash on cement, frame sliders help. Crash on grass your ass is cashed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts