Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Not my video. But good video for people who are new and concerned about power.

Def not as good as a 600cc or a 1.0l but its quick enough to be confident (at least for me) Guy is going 100kilometers/hr when passing.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
In the video he was complaing that it was slow at full throttle in highest gear..

Wouldnt it be faster if you drop down a couple gears and do the same thing haha!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
In the video he was complaing that it was slow at full throttle in highest gear..

Wouldnt it be faster if you drop down a couple gears and do the same thing haha!
in the video he says as much he just wanted a top gear pass shot

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
in the video he says as much he just wanted a top gear pass shot
That makes the video pointless, dont call it "overtaking performance" and then refuse to shift gears and then complain that its not that good.

A video called overtaking performance should be cruising alogn a speed, drop down sever gears, pin it, fly plast slow moving object, drop back to cruising gear/speed..

Just my 2 cents :cool:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I commute on the freeway daily and I can easily pass a car in top gear by just twisting the throttle, no downshift needed. The bike climbs to 90mph with no problem. If that's not good enough, there's something wrong with you.

Sure, bigger bikes are faster, but the 300 leaves nothing to 'complain' about.

-THE DON

·
Registered
221 Posts

That's what I was thinking. I would've drop down to a gear or two. He mentions its nothing like a 600. Well last I check a 300 and 600 are a different bike for some reason. It's only common and I'm no expert, but if you purchase a small engine bike thinking its going to perform like a super bike then this person got their info wrong. He should try and compare it to the old models which was the 250 and their he should see if their is or not much of a difference in passing.

Well when I'm riding it pulls pretty good for me. I know my limits and I'm not going to try and pass or race something faster than me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I commute on the freeway daily and I can easily pass a car in top gear by just twisting the throttle, no downshift needed. The bike climbs to 90mph with no problem. If that's not good enough, there's something wrong with you.

Sure, bigger bikes are faster, but the 300 leaves nothing to 'complain' about.

-THE DON
**** straight man!!!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yea, you can get the bike to accelerate in top gear from 70 to 90 Mph in top gear, np. But, if you are in a real hurry to pass, like the 2 lane road int the video, it's best to downshift to maximize torque, and then shift when you run out of RPM in that gear. Ideally, for best acceleration, you shift up when your torque output at the top of your current gear matches the torqu you'll get the next gear up at the same speed.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Expecially with the new Ninja 300, the tall 6th gear is almost like an overdrive to get good fuel economy and not be in the higher rpms at highway speeds. I agree with everyone else that he should have dropped into 5th gear. If anything is slow about the 300 it is acceleration from a stop to 60 mph, but you can't have everything. Roll-on from 45-to 80 mph is pretty good, but you have to use your gears. I really like cruising in the fast lane at an indicated 80 on this bike. Then you don't even have to pass.

·
Banned
562 Posts
i dont know how you figure acceleration from stop to 60 is slow
if it is install a 15 tooth sprocket and shift at higher gears
come off the clutch at 4500
this bike is NOT slow at 0 to 60 nor is it slow at 45 to 80
it amazes me how much people just have to complain
if you wanted awesome 0 to 60 you buy a mclaren f1
this is a 300cc bike and it is MORE than fast enough 0 to 60
i daresay its faster to 60 than most peoples cars on this forum
if you want faster go buy a 600 supersport
i didnt buy my 300 because i wanted to race it from 0 to 60
and i def didnt buy it to hear people whine about how fast it isnt
or how it doesnt accelerate. If you dont want it i got a 2011 250r
that has 900 miles on it ill trade u straight out and then ill track duty
one of the 300s and commute on the other
sorry but this complaining is pis*ing me off

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's definitely not 'slow' 0-60, but boy that 1st gear does feel pretty useless... I try to get into 2nd as quickly as possible. Maybe a sprocket change would help, but I like the gearing on the top end just fine.

Basically, this guy complaining about passing power without dropping into a passing gear is just dumb.

-THE DON

·
Banned
562 Posts
well i had the same problem with the first gear
so i put a new sprocket in 15t jt sprocket
i still have a useable 6th gear
but i dont have to worry about getting out of 1st gear so fast
makes the bike much more streetable
and the only time i need 6th is on the highway where it acts like a
overdrive is just fine for me

·
Registered
958 Posts
It's not slow compared to a Ninja 250 but that's not saying much. Acceleration in lower gears is still it's weakest point. Yes, first gear is really short. Once you ride a fast bike, you see how slow the 0-60 time really is. To me 3.2 seconds 0-60 is fast. With a fast bike, you have to hold on when you accelerate or it will throw you off the back of the seat. The Ninja 300 is still a starter bike and not meant to scream off the line. You can't say it's fast. It is more than adequate though. You just can't get ahead of all traffic, like a Tundra truck for example unless he lets you.

·
Banned
562 Posts
II dont know whatvthe tundra trucks where u live are putting out but I have not been
beat off the line by anything other than another bike and I have no problem
downshifting two gears to pass traffic
yes a super sport gets 3.2 second 0 to 60
but I have not had a need for that kind of acceleration andbin my slow world the 300 I s plenty fast enough for what I need
I would not call it a starter bike at all. it is more

than enough and has the potential to be alot more.
maybe im just partial but the 125 cc bikes at the msf course seem like starter bikes. this is a much better bike imo

1 - 20 of 42 Posts