Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I got bought my 2013 ninja 300 today. Since it's my first bike and I've never rode a motorcycle so I'm worried. Can anyone tell me what I have to do with the maintenance with ninja 300? Thanks :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Did your bike come with an owner’s manual? The full maintenance schedule is in there. Since this is your first bike...did you take or are you planning on taking the MSF course? (Assuming you live in the US)

Lots of info available online and on youtube on motorcycle maintenance. Even many videos specifically on Ninja 300.

Enjoy your new bike!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't get the manual. I think the safety course is too expensive so I might not take it. Is there going to be a lot difference of taking the safety course? If so, I might take it. I don't want to kill myself lol.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think the safety course is too expensive so I might not take it. Is there going to be a lot difference of taking the safety course? If so, I might take it. I don't want to kill myself lol.

Check out: https://msf-usa.org/

It is WORTH it, regardless of cost.

To be blunt: you owe it to yourself as a new rider to get proper training.

BTW, depending on the state you live in:

• California: Basic motorcycle training is mandatory for new riders under 21 years old.
  • New Hampshire: Riders under 18 years old are required to complete a Basic Rider course.
  • Colorado: Any rider under 18 years old must hold a motorcycle instruction permit for 1 year before they can earn a motorcycle endorsement.
To be more blunt: if you can afford a Ninja 300, you can bloody-well afford the safety course!!! >:)

If you're in Pennsylvania, check out http://www.pamsp.com/ (PENNSYLVANIA MOTORCYCLE SAFETY PROGRAM)
They offer FREE Motorcycle Safety Courses.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Check out: https://msf-usa.org/

It is WORTH it, regardless of cost.

To be blunt: you owe it to yourself as a new rider to get proper training.

BTW, depending on the state you live in:

• California: Basic motorcycle training is mandatory for new riders under 21 years old.
  • New Hampshire: Riders under 18 years old are required to complete a Basic Rider course.
  • Colorado: Any rider under 18 years old must hold a motorcycle instruction permit for 1 year before they can earn a motorcycle endorsement.
To be more blunt: if you can afford a Ninja 300, you can bloody-well afford the safety course!!! >:)

If you're in Pennsylvania, check out http://www.pamsp.com/ (PENNSYLVANIA MOTORCYCLE SAFETY PROGRAM)
They offer FREE Motorcycle Safety Courses.

:iagree: Maybe he has already killed himself and does not know it yet. :shrug.001:

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you have never ridden, this is your first bike and you don’t want to take the safety course, then don’t worry about a maintenance sechedule on your bike. It (and possibly you) won’t be around that long. :wacko:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey guys, I got bought my 2013 ninja 300 today. Since it's my first bike and I've never rode a motorcycle so I'm worried. Can anyone tell me what I have to do with the maintenance with ninja 300? Thanks :)
I would be worried, too. You've never ridden before? As in never? Do you know how all the controls work? Do you understand what countersteering is? Do you know how to properly downshift and apply the separate brakes to stop in an emergency? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm genuinely concerned that you have no experience and you don't want to spend the money to get properly trained to ride the bike.

A motorcycle is an incredibly fun machine, it can give you joy and all kinds of warm fuzzy feelings. It can also give you a closed casket funeral.

Take the course, PLEASE.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Many insurance agencies provide a discount to those that have taken the moto safety course. Over time, the discount will pay for the course.

You owe it to your motorcycle brothers and sisters to take the course and become a good rider that has skill and confidence. It will give you pride. If you look good, we all look good and vice-versa. :)

Don't forget to fix yourself up with proper gear as well and learn to always ride with it all: helmet, boots, pants, jacket, and gloves all should be proper motorcycle safe specification i.e. no sandals, shorts, and pudding bowls made of PVC.

·
Registered
366 Posts
LOL. It reminds me when I learned to ride in the 90's. Just got a used small bike and leaned to ride it around the block. Gear? Courses? Forget that! That's for rich people. Where is the throttle again? I hope the brakes are ok. The seller told me they were just done. HAHAHA!
I took it easy and survived. Definitely not advisable.

Whatever money you can spend in safety is money well spent.

As for the owners manual, you can download the PDF version from internet. If you don't find it, PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy.

Be safe!

·
Super Moderator
2,538 Posts
1. The digital version of the owner's manual is easily found on this site called Kawa something or other: https://www.kawasaki.com/ServiceManuals/Manual/EX300ADF

2. FFS, take the MSF course before you hurt yourself, or worse, some innocent person. The basic course will teach you the skills you'll build on for the rest of your life. Skills such as emergency braking, swerving, etc. that can literally save your life.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live in Arizona, also called the worst state to ride a motorcycle. So the thing is.. I just turned 18 and I'm a foreign exchange student from Korea, I'm still in highschool. My parents(lives in korea) or my guardians don't know that I bought a motorcycle; because my parents don't know they are not providing any money for my motorcycle and it already took a lot of money doing the registrations, gears, and insurance. I really want to take a motorcycle safety course but it's like $400. I've planning to buy a motorcycle since 9 month ago so I've been searching up google about body position when counter steering, how to downshift properly, how to ride it.. etc since then. I think I'm pretty knowledgeable with motorcycles. It's not like I don't want to, but do I have to take it if I don't want to kill myself :(

·
Registered
268 Posts
LOL. It reminds me when I learned to ride in the 90's. Just got a used small bike and leaned to ride it around the block. Gear? Courses? Forget that! That's for rich people. Where is the throttle again? I hope the brakes are ok. The seller told me they were just done. HAHAHA!
I took it easy and survived. Definitely not advisable.

Be safe!
I learned at a very young age, in the 80s, on a 50cc dirt bike with my dad running next to me (this is more funny if you know how big my dad is). When I was in high school, I worked at a motorcycle shop as a helper/mechanic. I got to ride bikes around the neighborhood to make sure my repairs were correct.

When I finally got on the street, my boss at the bike shop said to take the MSF course. He said “they will teach you the right way to ride and be safe”. I did and it was the best thing I could do. Over the last 20ish years I have taken more MSF advanced courses, Total Control and now high performance track courses. You can never be prepared enough or learn enough on a bike.

We now have these resources to keep us alive and skilled. We need to use them. The odds are against us out there. We have to stack the cards in our favor as much as possible.

Reactions: justindsds

·
Registered
268 Posts
I live in Arizona, also called the worst state to ride a motorcycle. So the thing is.. I just turned 18 and I'm a foreign exchange student from Korea, I'm still in highschool. My parents(lives in korea) or my guardians don't know that I bought a motorcycle; because my parents don't know they are not providing any money for my motorcycle and it already took a lot of money doing the registrations, gears, and insurance. I really want to take a motorcycle safety course but it's like $400. I've planning to buy a motorcycle since 9 month ago so I've been searching up google about body position when counter steering, how to downshift properly, how to ride it.. etc since then. I think I'm pretty knowledgeable with motorcycles. It's not like I don't want to, but do I have to take it if I don't want to kill myself :(
Just trying to keep you alive man. It might not be your abilities, it could easily be the cagers out there not paying attention or an animal jumping in front of you. Being prepared and having the knowledge to avoid dangers is where training comes in handy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this might be a bit late to the game, but the community college does have a motorcycle safety course for a low price. I'd check it out because they provide a bike if you are worried about bike injuries.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I just turned 18 and I'm a foreign exchange student from Korea, I'm still in highschool. My parents(lives in korea) or my guardians don't know that I bought a motorcycle; because my parents don't know they are not providing any money for my motorcycle and it already took a lot of money doing the registrations, gears, and insurance.

If all true (which I am now starting to doubt), you seem to be a bit of a snot-rag.

Are you saying you bought a motorcycle without telling your parents or your guardians? Where did the money come from? Where do you store the motorcycle?

At this point maybe it doesn't matter if you do or if you don't take a safety course....at least to me.

Unless you man up, and come back here with some sound judgment and take some adult responsibility, you don't have my sympathy any longer.
:growup:

(Again, the whole story is rather dubious and doubtful....)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, I wanted to get a car but since I don’t live with my parents te car and the insurance is really expensive for me. Asked my guardians if I can do the insurance with them but they said if I get a ticket, the insurance will raise their payments. That’s when I’ve been starting to save for 9 months. I really need a vehicle but insurance for cars are just too expensive for me. At first, all of my friends thought I was just joking too. But I’ve been saving up the money I get from reselling clothes. I bought my ninja 300 Monday and got the insurances(Nationwide) for and registration(until May 2020) done yesterday. Plus gears, I already used like 400 dollars for it. Please, dont @ me. I have so much to think about like the maintenance, school, finding a job, it’s just really hard to live by myself. I just want some advice if I should take the safety course or not because I’ve already used too much money

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well, I wanted to get a car but since I don’t live with my parents it’s really expensive for me. Asked my guardians if I can do the insurance with them but they said if I get a ticket, the insurance will raise their payments. That’s when I’ve been starting to save for 9 months. I really need a vehicle but insurance for cars are just too expensive for me. At first, all of my friends thought I was just joking too. But I’ve been saving up the money I get from reselling clothes. I bought my ninja 300 Monday and got the insurances(Nationwide) for and registration(until May 2020) done yesterday. Plus gears, I already used like 400 dollars for it. Please, dont @ me. I have so much to think about like the maintenance, school, finding a job, it’s just really hard to live by myself. I just want some advice if I should take the safety course or not because I’ve already used too much money

You HAVE to tell your guardians about your [motorcycle] plans!

It will be them who will have to call your parents in Korea that you are in hospital or dead, and answer your parents' questions about why they didn't know that you were riding a motorbike.

Out of respect to your guardians you HAVE TO TAKE a safety course....with their blessing!

·
Super Moderator
2,538 Posts
Okay, so you say you live in Arizona - how are you planning on getting your motorcycle endorsement? You do realize that you can't simply jump on a motorcycle and legally ride it, right? I mean, you did research that much, correct? Either you get a permit, learn on the street, where you must be riding with a fully licensed rider, BTW, and god help you because you're going to get hurt and get to explain that to your guardians and parents. Then you pay to take the test at the DMV to get an endorsement, where you'll have to take the test on your own bike, which may or may not pass the safety check depending on what modifications were done and how much you biffed it up trying to learn on your own.

Or, and here's all of our advice, you pay the $270 (far cry from the $400 you stated - dude, I thought teenagers were supposed gods at using Google) at a local community college to take the course on a bike they provide, which means you won't biff yours when you drop it, and there's a high likelihood that you will. Or, you take the same course through Team Arizona for $338.

Oh, and before you can get a motorcycle endorsement, you have to first take and pass the driver's licensing written and practical exam for your state of residence. If you have less than 6 months left on your I-20, you'll likely not even be eligible for a license.

Every time you get on a motorcycle you have a responsibility to yourself, your family, friends, and the general community to ride safely and maturely. If you can't afford $300 to be able to do that, then you can't afford to ride period.

We're not all trying to completely belittle you, but you do need to stop and think about what you're doing and sneaking around is not the way to do any of this. You can get seriously injured or worse if you don't know what you're doing out there and no YouTube video is going to prepare you for real life and neither is playing Moto GP Forza on a PlayStation or Xbox.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was born in Mesa and after I was born I immediately went back to korea. I have my motorcycle permit right now and I put my license id and things and got it from nationwide. Guys I’m asking a serious question because I don’t want to de and you guys say I’m trolling or some things. I don’t get it

1 - 20 of 40 Posts