Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

So I own a Ninja 300 and it’s been sitting for a while. I decided to take it out but the battery was gone so I bought a new one and replaced it and it starts but it’s almost like a weak start. So when the bike is idling I would give it some revs but when I let go of the throttle it just sounds like it lost power and it would die. I tried moving it in 1st gear but it just died. I’m quite sure it might be the battery but not 100 percent as it’s been sitting for a while. If it is the battery could someone please explain how the bike works like what happens when I let go of the throttle and how it dies. If it’s not the battery what might be the problem please help.
Thanks

(Yes I’m a noob)

·
Registered
654 Posts
You need to check the battery for a full charge. A new battery isn't necessarily fully charged.

Get a volt meter, doesn't need to be anything special or expensive, and read the voltage of the battery. A fully charged battery will read over 12.7V. A battery that reads 12.0V is just over 40% charged.

Most likely, you will need to charge it. Cycle batteries require a lower charge rate, so get a charger with the proper output (usually under 2 Amps).

I'm pretty confident you will find the battery is low. Almost all cycles will not run properly with a low battery, even if they start. That's especially true if the engine is fuel injected, like the Ninja 300.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I might add if the idle is very low and when you give some revs it dies, try adjusting the idle screw as well!

My bike does this if I left it for over 2 weeks, charge the battery full and readjust the idle screw and I'm good

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hey

so I got the battery tested and it’s showing 12.52v so I’m guessing I need to charge it?
Yes, I would.

12.52V is 90% charged, but it should be reading over 12.7V if the charging system and battery are functioning properly - so something isn't right.

With the engine at idle, you should be getting something around 13.5V. At around 3000 RPMs or so, you should see about 14V - generally.

The exact numbers aren't critical, you are just looking for an increase of the battery voltage in both cases.

If those check out with a fully charged battery, I would let the battery sit overnight and test it again. If it's below 12.7V at that time, I would say the battery has a problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply I’ll have a look into and let you know but I also have a question.

when I give it revs sometimes when I let go of the throttle it dies. Why’s that?

Let me also add
The bike struggles to turn on sometimes and it idles but sometimes you can hear it idle fast and then it slows down and maybe even dies after. I also I have a power commander V installed so looking at these things mentioned do you still think it might be the still battery?

I’m sorry to bother this is really just my first bike and I don’t know much so I’m slowly learning.

·
Registered
654 Posts
You may want to run a strong fuel system cleaner, like Techron Concentrate (1 oz per gal), to clean the injector and intake track. I run a tank with it once per season in every vehicle.

Confirm your air filter is clean and in good condition.

Do the battery test.

Is your Ninja completely stock? If so, the Power Commander isn't needed and can cause more issues than it cures.

How many miles do you have? It may be time to do some maintenance like valve adjustment and throttle body sync.

Make sure the gas is fresh, and keep the tank at a high level if temps are fluctuation to reduce the chances of condensation forming.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks again for the reply
I’m at work currently but I’ll definitely have a look into it and let you know.
I’ll might run a strong fuel system cleaner and the battery test as you said.
Thanks again appreciate it I’ll definitely let you know if anything happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts