Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

481 - 486 of 486 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I consistently get +/- 55mpg, using 91 or 93 octane non-ethanol premium. I'm probably 145 or so in gear, with probably a minimum of 10 lbs of stuff I'm hauling in my three luggage pieces and occasionally on the seat, at any given time. I ride a good mix of city, interstate, and twisties. In the twisties I'm in the 8-9K rpm range, I think. When I was at the Dragon, I got a couple tankfuls that got me 60mpg! Again, non-ethanol when possible. I wonder if the higher elevation made the difference? OTOH, I got a couple of sucky tankfuls in Eastern Missouri on the way there where I only got 49mpg. Granted, I had the luggage packed to the gills, but managed to not need anything on the seat. On the way back from Cincinnati (I had met my family at church camp there), I let my them haul dirty laundry, souvenirs, etc in the Prius so that helped.

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you're committed to find out, you can do this:

- Carry a quarter gallon bottle with gas always in your bike. Zip tie it somewhere. Maybe a smaller bottle could work too.
- Ride your bike regularly until it runs out of gas. Note down the mileage you got and the type of riding you did; pour on the gas from the bottle so you can ride up to the gas station, et voila. Repeat as needed.

Do it for a while and you will know your own bike real MPG.

That way, you could also know (and tell us) how much miles you get from a flashing bar. Very useful info.
I think I remember a Mythbusters episode where they were testing efficiency using a removable fuel tank and weighing it before and after driving a known distance. But your way above is probably as accurate as anyone would ever need to be. Haha!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I consistently get +/- 55mpg, using 91 or 93 octane non-ethanol premium. I'm probably 145 or so in gear, with probably a minimum of 10 lbs of stuff I'm hauling in my three luggage pieces and occasionally on the seat, at any given time. I ride a good mix of city, interstate, and twisties. In the twisties I'm in the 8-9K rpm range, I think. When I was at the Dragon, I got a couple tankfuls that got me 60mpg! Again, non-ethanol when possible. I wonder if the higher elevation made the difference? OTOH, I got a couple of sucky tankfuls in Eastern Missouri on the way there where I only got 49mpg. Granted, I had the luggage packed to the gills, but managed to not need anything on the seat. On the way back from Cincinnati (I had met my family at church camp there), I let my them haul dirty laundry, souvenirs, etc in the Prius so that helped.
Can you get 87 octane without ethanol? You might get better MPG if so. Would be interesting to compare.

My '06 SV650 (F.I.) gets 50 MPG all day long - city or hwy as long as I'm below about 75-80 MPH. Drops to the mid/low 40s at that speed, but that speeds sucks anyway because it's a naked. Best tank was about 62 MPG running country roads in the 55/60MPH range mostly.

I run 87 w/o ethanol unless I'm out and can't get it, then I run Premium without if available.

·
Registered
336 Posts
^^ Yes, non ethanol is nice, but is so expensive. At least at the pumps that i frequent I can get 87 for around $2.50 and have to pay almost $4.00 for a gallon of non ethanol 91.
So, yes I can get better MPG, but I don't think it'll get me better MP$ (miles per dollar)

·
Registered
309 Posts
^^ Yes, non ethanol is nice, but is so expensive. At least at the pumps that i frequent I can get 87 for around $2.50 and have to pay almost $4.00 for a gallon of non ethanol 91.
So, yes I can get better MPG, but I don't think it'll get me better MP$ (miles per dollar)
I think that's true.

There was a time when the difference wasn't that much, and although you didn't come out ahead with non-ethanol it was pretty close.

Haven't checked the difference recently (it's pretty much winter here now) but I still pony-up for non-ethanol for the cycles and small engines. I don't like ethanol in metal gas tanks. Cars get E10.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Can you get 87 octane without ethanol? You might get better MPG if so. Would be interesting to compare.

My '06 SV650 (F.I.) gets 50 MPG all day long - city or hwy as long as I'm below about 75-80 MPH. Drops to the mid/low 40s at that speed, but that speeds sucks anyway because it's a naked. Best tank was about 62 MPG running country roads in the 55/60MPH range mostly.

I run 87 w/o ethanol unless I'm out and can't get it, then I run Premium without if available.

Nope, not around here. Come to think of it, that may have been what I got in Tennessee when I had the 60+ mpg.

481 - 486 of 486 Posts