Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally sold my ninja 250 and just found an SE 300 with abs locally. I weigh 240lbs and I am worried that the 300 will not have enough power as I grow in to it and get more comfortable. My other options are a Ducati Monster 696 or a Ninja 650. What are your thoughts / opnions?

Also, is $6465 OTD good for an SE with ABS? The price with an additional 3 year warranty (4 total) is $6700 OTD.

Thanks for the help - I am hoping to make my decision tomorrow.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Power is not an issue.

Are you in the USA? might be a lil high. My non ABS was 4749 + tax & registration. Shop around and avoid build fees or destination nonsense if you can. It is just added profit, has nothing to do with the actual cost of the bike. They profit at MSRP. What they can get from someone is another story.

·
Banned
196 Posts
Well I owned a CBR 250 and the 300 has more power than it did. For me it has more than enough power. My CBR topped out at 84 if I rolled on the throttle in 6th gear. I can do the same with the 300 and hit 100 mph easily. That all I need. The Ducati will be much faster but I dont think that the 650 will be much faster than the 300. The 650 is a torque motor and I think that bike tops out just over 100mph as well. So the answer is, it depends on what you want. If you want a cheap bike that looks great and gets good gas mileage with 87 octane then get the 300. If you want a bike that takes 93 octane, can do more than 140mph and cost a crap load in insurance then get the monster. If you want a tall heavy bike which probably isn't all that much faster than the 300 then get the 650.

I say all of this of course without having ever ridden the ninja 650. I haven't ridden a Monster either but I have ridden a GSXR 600 and 750, so I do know the power a super sport feels like. The 300 feels just like a super sport (unlike the CBR250 did) but with less power and not as much brake!

·
Banned
562 Posts
I have a 650r. the 300 does everything the 650 r does. i wish people
would stop with the outgrowing bs of a 250 / 300. i weigh 245 trust me
the 300 can handle anything u throw at it. Here is a secret
the 300 has less than one inch shorter wheelbase and weighs 60
pounds lighter. You willnever outgrow the 300. As your skills increase
you will be able to wring more performance out of her. i got the 650
mainly for two up riding esp on the highway. anything else the 300 does

Reactions: inspyre5

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Once you think you outgrow the 300, put a full exhaust and tuner on it, makes it a whole new bike :D

I have a 250R and the 300.. I prefer riding both of those over my past 600..

·
Registered
286 Posts
That's not a bad price for an SE ABS. I paid $6200 for mine with the 3 year extened warranty, but I didn't have to pay tax on it. I was looking at the Monster 696, but paying $3000 less for a bike that I would have just as much fun with made the decision for me. The 300 is a great bike. I went from an R6 with every mod you could do to the 300, and I don't regret not buying another superbike. I just have filter.pods on mine (nice cheap mod btw) and plan on getting full exhaust and PCV as soon as my tax return comes in.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
A Ducati Monster is the other choice???

Well, I know what bike I'd go with. ;)

I'd get the Monster, if you can afford it ... 100%! First off, you'd be riding a Ducati. Not as high maintenance as they used to be, but it's a **** Ducati. Instant respect lol

To anyone who questions if the 300 will be enough power, probably at the end of the day, would be the ones who will sell it within a season. I personally wouldn't buy the 300 for the street because the power truly bores me for street riding. Reason I have a 300 is to work on my form at the track. These lightweights are perfect for becoming a better rider.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, thank you for the responses so far. I really like the people in this forum. The advice is more helpful than you know!

I am heavily leaning towards the 300 again after the comments came in. I was considering the Ducati 696 ABS because I can get it for $6k and the bike only has 3k miles on it. I figured more power for less money was something I should at least think about.

·
Registered
958 Posts
You have named 2 bikes with low seat height's. Is that one issue? It is for me at just under 5'7". Thing is Ducati makes gorgeous bikes, but dependability is so-so. All Japanese bikes are considered very dependable. Cost is certainly a factor in favor of the Ninja 300. Basically I use it a lot on the interstate. I just get over to the passing lane and stay there cruising at 75-85 mph indicated. As someone mentioned, weight has very little to do with speed. It's mostly wind resistence and your weight will definitely be fine and you can go as fast or slow as you please. I'm an experienced rider and love the Ninja 300. Mine revs at 8200 rpms at an indicated 80 mph. The Ninja 250r would rev a lot higher which is one reason they increased the stroke...same engine, and made a taller 6th gear. The 300 is not working hard at all at 80 or 85 mph.

·
Hero of Time
1,352 Posts
rode with a zx6r, a gsxr 600, and a f4i tonight in a huge loop around houston. we did about 80 miles...was never a point that i was really slowing everyone down(there were a few races which i had to get up to 100 and catch up to them) and despite being a new rider i was taking some of the corners faster than them and their tires that looked 2x as wide as mine XD

the f4i guy raced me from a dig and i had him till 35~ mph...he said hes too scared to lift up the front going that slow XD

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think it is enough power it will go as fast as u need it too ibe ridden 600s and this 300 will do most of the things those bikes can. Unless u wanna go 160 mph lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
33 Posts
The 300 has good power to ride on the street and becomes even funner when you take it to the canyons. There's a lot of people who ride 600 super sports that can't even keep up with my 300 in the twisties. Sure they'll smoke me in a straight line, but that doesn't take much skill does it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well i was also worried that i would become desensitised and bored of the 300.
But, im really happy with it. And i know that if i got anything bigger id probably kill myself as this is my first bike and I'm only 18
You guys are 220 - 240 lbs...... im 150lbs :D

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The 300 is more than adequate and works wonderfully great bike. That said if I had a, chance at a ducati I'd definitely explore it just to say I owned one, even if I didn't make it a daily rider, contingent upon which model of course. Some are sexy some are ugly but it's dependent on personal preference

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have owned 600 & 900 RR types as well as some of the earlier 750's

If straight roads are your thing then of course bigger is always better
or of course a track with a very long straight.
But for folks who like to turn, canyons,twisties etc

IMO smaller bikes with revs are always more fun & very capable.
I was always fastest on my 600RR for twisty roads
I am sure if I lived in that same place this bike would do just as well.

To tell the truth straight roads/highways high end speed type of riding is
quite boring IMHO
It would be like getting a surf board & riding a wave in a straight line to the shore.
The fun has always been in the carving
:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts